Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Control Units for using solar heated HW in dish/clothes washers

Options
  • 16-10-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

[move to appliances if need be.]

just reading that the above control units exist 'in many countries' and are very cost effective as they manage the feeding of solar heated water from a buffer tank to machines that don't have a HW intake

Anyone got any experience thereof?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why would you need one?
    Unless you have an older system that doesn't have a mixer valve?
    I would just T the hot water line and feed the machine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

I have done this with a dishwasher; its fed from the hot water system.
    Washing machines; might be a little more difficult. depending on the model
    If it has a hot water connection; then the water entering the machine; would have to be no hotter; than the lowest temperature wash; otherwise your jumpers will fit your children :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Why would you need one?
    Unless you have an older system that doesn't have a mixer valve?
    I would just T the hot water line and feed the machine with that.

What do you mean by an older system.... pls?
    copper12 I have done this with a dishwasher; its fed from the hot water system.
    Washing machines; might be a little more difficult. depending on the model
    If it has a hot water connection; then the water entering the machine; would have to be no hotter; than the lowest temperature wash; otherwise your jumpers will fit your children
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Most modern plumbing systems have a thermostatic mixing valve on the hot feed side of the DHW tank.
    This is set to a desired temp. In my case 55 deg C.
    The valve mixes hot and cold water to make the supply no hotter than 55.
    In my case it is because I have young children and this means that even if the tank is 80 deg the water will only ever be 55 or less at the tap.
    In older systems this was not fitted and that is why in some houses if you turn the tap on you get nearly boiling water coming out.
    A side benefit is that a 400l tank of water at 80 deg is actually more like 700 litres of 55 deg water.
    I don't wash wool in a machine so temperature doesn't really concern me, but saving energy heating water occupies my mind a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

I think I might have missed something here
    The original question was how to make the best use of solar heated water
    In my case it the dishwasher that will take hot water no mater what the temperature .
    If I were to use it for the washing machine then I would have to use a mixer valve set at to lowest washing temperature of the washing machine
    Most modern plumbing systems have a thermostatic mixing valve on the hot feed side of the DHW tank.
    I wish this was the case

I am in new builds almost every day and the vast majority do not have a mixer valve fitted
    They rely on the thermostat set at 60 degrees to maintain temperature
    I know I have to advise people to turn them down explaining why its safe to do so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thank you both for very informative followup replies: much appreciated.

My HW is about 60 and I don't have the TMV but the idea is interesting as it could be fitted near the clothes washing machine and the desired temp selected for each wash.

for others who might like to see what they look like:
    http://www.hydrosafe.ie/thermo_mixing.asp

Advertisement