Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal events in Tipperary

Options
  • 16-10-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone's heard any stories about ghosts or anything paranormal appearing in Tipperary. All I've managed to find was a story about The Fairy Witch of Clonmel. I'd really appreciate if anyone had any interesting stories. Or is Tipperary just so boring that even the ghosts won't come here? :)

Comments

PIG's will be going there soon enough but i cant say were untill we get the go ahead by the people that live there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

PIG's will be going there soon enough but i cant say were untill we get the go ahead by the people that live there .
    PIGs? what does that mean
    Maybe its cos it such a long way to go

PIG's = Paranormal Investigation Guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

The Hill with the luminous Cross on it close to Ballingarry is supposed to be the home of the Munster Fairies. I can't think of the name of the Hill. I remember the first time I saw that cross at night it put the fear of God in me.
    It was only when I drove through the village in the daylight I remembered my father telling me about the Munster Fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

i think your talkin about the cross, its only a few miles away from clonmel. u can see it from a village called kilshennan, but i never heard anything about any fairys . does anyone know of any haunted spots in tipperary ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TinyMontgomery

I don't know exactly where in Tipperary this webcam is situated, but it's there, looking over a fairy fort...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

The golf club in thurles is supposed to be haunted by a raggedy old woman with really long fingers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Also around thurles there's a wood called Knox's Wood, supposedly to be teeming with evil spirits and whatnot. I went there and saw a few trees and there was a leaf on the ground. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Overblood wrote: »
    The golf club in thurles is supposed to be haunted by a raggedy old woman with really long fingers...
    Overblood wrote: »
    Also around thurles there's a wood called Knox's Wood, supposedly to be teeming with evil spirits and whatnot. I went there and saw a few trees and there was a leaf on the ground. That's it.

WTF??? I have lived in Thurles on/off most of my life and have never heard those stories and i live 3k out the road from the golf Club!!!?????
    There's supposed to be a house across from the Premier hall haunted, beside Stakelums office supplies methinks..dunno any other stories about Thurles tho.

Do know however that, Rearcross, Kilcommon, Rea, and Newport have more than there fair share of paranormal activity, stemming from deaths in the War of Independence, The Black and Tan raids to fairy forts and regular Howya ghosts..

MonicaBing wrote: »
    WTF??? I have lived in Thurles on/off most of my life and have never heard those stories and i live 3k out the road from the golf Club!!!?????
    There's supposed to be a house across from the Premier hall haunted, beside Stakelums office supplies methinks..dunno any other stories about Thurles tho.

Do know however that, Rearcross, Kilcommon, Rea, and Newport have more than there fair share of paranormal activity, stemming from deaths in the War of Independence, The Black and Tan raids to fairy forts and regular Howya ghosts..
    o0, cool. have u ever witnessed anything in them places before ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I've heard some stories about the holy well near Shanbally (it'd be a few miles out from Cahir). Mainly to do with eerie whispering being heard.

Apparently in Clonmel, a good few people saw a UFO hovering over the garda station. Probably pulled off sharpish so it wouldn't get a speeding ticket. Ba dum dum tish. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,045 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I've heard some stories about the holy well near Shanbally (it'd be a few miles out from Cahir). Mainly to do with eerie whispering being heard.

thats only Timmy O'Toole

hi dray/dre did u ever find out about the location in which the pigs team investigated in tipperary??

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Now that you mention it I can't think of any well known 'haunted locations' in Tipperary. But I do think that some of the most believable hauntings are those that don't necessarily occur in locations where they can be commercially exploited.. ie castles, fairy forts etc. Thats just my opinion though.

I live in a small village in Tipperary, 9 miles outside of Clonmel. I've heard of some famine related hauntings occuring in our area. The most well known one being 'the famine lane' which is reportedly haunted by a young woman who died during the famine in the area. It's a disused lane that is nearly impassible. It is quite eerie but i've been there many times and have never experienced anything.

I did hear of a fairly recent experience a local man had in the same area. He was out hunting very early one morning and was passing by an old abandoned house on route. A house he had passed many times before. He heard voices coming from inside and, thinking it may have been local kids up to no good, went closer to see. What he heard was the rosary being recited, in Irish, by what seemed like a number of people. He legged it out of there at that point. Normally I wouldn't believe that kind of story but this guy is a seriously no nonsence kind of guy, wouldn't say it unless it was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'm intrigued by this fairy talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Fergieman

I have an interesting story about a well known building in Thurles. I'll be honest I'm not into the Paranormal or anything. I dont believe in ghosts and my parents always told us ghost stories were rubbish! I only stumbled across this thread by accident.
    Anyone from thurles will know of the "Hospital of the Assumption" located beside the new TRBDI. Its a newly built hospital used for looking after the elderly in our community. I have been in it and its a fantastic place with lovely surroundings for the patients. It was built on the site of the OLD Hospital of the Assumption. If you are in your late twenties and from thurles you should remember it well. The Old hospital was built back in the late 1700's and was a well known hospital in thurles until it was torn down about 4years ago to make way for the new hospital mentioned above. I was in the old hospital as well and believe you me it was a far cry from the current building. The old hospital was a sprawling building with additions here and there added through the ages but it was in bad repair. It had gone beyond repair and thanks to the celtic Tiger it was condemed and funding provided for the new unit.
    I was passing it one day with my mother when they were ripping it down. My mother proceeded to tell me an unusual experience she had whilst working there years before. She had worked in the hospital during the late 1960's. Just as an assistant, she was young at the time so it was just for spending money but she recalls it was hard work all the same. She worked on one of the wards helping the nuns look after the elderly patients a lot of whom were incapable of looking after themselves at this stage. One day she was told to go over to the kitchen to help one of the nuns prepare dinner as they were short staffed. The kitchen was in the oldest part of the hospital and she was not familiar with it. She made her way over and found the kitchen but there was noone around and the nun that she was to meet was not around.
    She called out for her but there was no reply. She then explained that she heard a rustling noise like stiff material rubbing together. When she looked down the hall she saw a figure exit a door dressed from head to toe in a white old fashioned dress and she noted that the figures face was covered with a white viel. Because she was not familiar with this part of the hospital she took no notice of the strange dress (the nuns usually wore black). She called out to the woman thinking it was the nun she was to help out but the figure did not reply and continued down the narrow hall away from my mum. My mum skipped after her thinking the white lady didnt hear her. She followed her into a large room and the figure continued to "rustle" her way to the other end of the room with my mother still calling after her. The figure entered a door and closed it behind her. My mother followed thinking that the nun had entered the kitchen and didnt hear my mum calling after her. She approached the door and opened it only to discover a tiny storage room with no windows or doors out of it. The vision she had been following was nowhere to be seen. There was nothing in there except a few bags of potatoes and some old pots. She says she nearly died. She ran straight out of the place and home. She told the nuns she was sick and couldnt work for the remainder of the day.
    She said she never went near the old part of the hospital again and never told anyone of her experience.
    I was really interested in her account and did a bit of research. The order of nuns that occupied the hospital were "The Carmelite Order". When I googled images of the carmelite nuns, I found that during the 1800's their uniform was pure white! and some wore a white Cape an veil!
    I showed mum some of the Images and she went pure white. "Thats what I saw" she said.
    It turns out the hospital was a soup kitchen during the famine and many died inside its walls. Its a known fact that when the builders were digging the foundations for the new hospital they dug up so many bones in unmarked graves that all the bones were subsequently reburied in a mass grave with a monument to those who died in the famine.
    My dad claims mum was just working too hard that day and was seeing things but my mum is a woman who dosen't talk crap.
    Nothing of the old hospital stands today. That the only ghost story I know in Thurles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 haon

mocklers house is haunted:eek: srsly im gonna go investigate that place with my friends one of these days i really wanna we really wanna so i think it b cool to catch a video of a ghost. we'll b lucky if we get some paranormal activity:cool: It would b soooooooooooo scary though and id probally wet myself and my friend Robin would literaly die because i scared the crap outta her in the source b4 ha ha ha ha ha with a very scary mask:p So i dont blame her for screaming and almost crying.......... BEST PRANK EVER:):P:o;):D:cool::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

wow

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Melodi

When we first came to Ireland, we rented Emmel Castle for a year and it was said that one of the previous owners of the castle a "Sir Aurthur" who lived there in the 1950s was an avid hunter and used to love nothing more than gathering his huntsman and pound out after foxes, usually ending with a celebratory lunch in one of the village pubs.

Sometime in the 1960's Sir Aurthur (originally from the UK) passed away and was laid out in the drawing room, when his will was opened his horrified family learned he had requested to be fed to his beloved hunting dogs upon his death - so that he could be part of the hunt forever.

An eye witness who used to work at the castle told me his laying out ended up lasting a week, before someone in the family got the bright idea of sending the body to England for cremation (which was supposedly illegal in Ireland at the time).

They told me that when the ashes came back to Ireland, Sir Aurthur's friends mixed them in with some dog food and fed them to his hunting dogs (I hope not all at once!).

It is said that about a year later, around All Hallows, that people around the the area would hear a hunting horn blowing and the sounds of horses and baying hounds in the area of the castle which at that time had yet to change hands...

Thus Sir Aurthur managed to join a long list of "ghostly huntsman" found in European folk lore; that include his name sake King Aurthur of Camelot among others. Usually (but not always) the Lord of the Castle is not a nice person and has said something like "To Hell with Heaven I only want to be left to ride and hunt forever!" In both Sir Aurthur's case (and that of King Aurthur) they become rather protective figures, more than scary ones.

And yes, we did believe we heard a horn in the distance one dark October night when we were staying there...along with the sound of distant hoof beats...can't be certain you understand, but we certainly did hear the dogs yowling...

Emmel Castle is on the North Tip/Offaly border and privately owned (not by us) so you would have to check with the current owners before paying a visit - but it might be an interesting place to check out, especially in November...it is also rumored that Long Anthony O'Carroll still walks the ramparts of his tower house and mansion, having been one of the only Irishman to manage to get his castle back from Cromwell...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Bay Lough near The Vee, Clogheen (near Clonmel, Knockmealdowns) is where Petticoat Loose was banished, to empty it with a thimble, or make a sugan rope out of the sand.

Petticoat Loose was originally from Co Waterford, it's a great story. The woman really existed.

edit : she is said to pull swimmers down by the legs and drown them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Read a story, alleged to be a real experience of a haunting of a hostel in Tipp (think it was an isolated place, west of Clonmel-ish direction South Tipp from memory) in an old Ireland's Own....then again Ireland's Own is hardly a bastion of factual info.

Also the old locomotive crew dorm areas (now demolished) at Limerick Junction were supposed to be haunted, also Dundrum station which was supposed to have a 'Monster Of Glamis' type wandering about at night.

Dormitories in days of steam locos were really awful places, haunted or not. Cork was one of the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

PIGs? what does that mean
    Maybe its cos it such a long way to go

PIGS Great name!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnnyp82

i recommended you go to leap castle just outside roscrea its been seeing as 1 of the most haunted places in ireland and i can agree with that its pretty awesum bt scary 2

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Apparently Aherlow house hotel is haunted. Old hunting lodge, there was a bad fire and people dies. Heard some weird stories from people working there... probably rubbish though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kwack wrote: »
    Apparently Aherlow house hotel is haunted. Old hunting lodge, there was a bad fire and people dies. Heard some weird stories from people working there... probably rubbish though

And it wouldn't hurt business I suppose if people thought it was haunted. I know I'd love to stay in a Haunted Hotel, just to see if anything strange would happen! But as the story goes the only thing scary about that place is prob the prices, haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Yeah stayed there couple of times after weddings but was so drunk my bed couldve lifted 10 feet in the air and I wouldn't have noticed ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rachelanna

I have a few from a place called Barnane near Templemore in Co. Tipperary. It was the estate of the Carden family situated at the foot of the Devil's Bit Mountain where all convergences of haunting are said to take place. A bloodstained history that most people around Thurles, Templemore and North Tipp seem to ignore or laugh off. There has been sightings of an aggressive black dog late at night in the 1800's who followed or accompanied walkers on the road or padded beside carriages. Again, the travellers noticed the dog but carried on in silence, often afraid to talk about it after or speak in front of the spectre. My partners great grandfather worked in the stables there and late one night tending horses, was pulled by the leg across the stable floor by a force that he could not see. He went home to Borrisoleigh and a black handprint was visible around his ankle for a week. His mother tended it, and holy water was applied to it before it eventually disappeared. Given the bloody legacy of the Carden's and the landed English gentry in this area, many wrong doings and disagreements are recorded in this area. It's very leafy with extended old walls all around the demesne, which makes it quite a picturesque ghost story setting. The manifestations/ghosts here are reported as "bad" and I gather that the locals think that the black dog and the burning hand are the devil himself.

I enjoy a good fright but encountered another story about Barnane lately that made me a little uneasy. I was at a wedding with my partner and his friend who lives in Barnane. I jokingly asked him about the tall tales around there to which he laughed at first. After a couple of minutes a more serious look came over his face. He told of how last summer his cousin who also hailed form Barnane was out drawing bales in their tractor near Kiloskehane castle in Barnane. The entrance to the castle is overrun by weeds now but it was once the house of the Willington family who married into the Cardens, another family of landlords. His cousin was down there late, a couple of fields from the castle. The temperature in the cab dropped and when his cousin turned back from closing the window in the cab, a man with no face was cycling his bike a few yards away from the tractor. He then cycled through the ditch. The next night, his brother was also bailing and saw the same thing. A man with no face wearing long rain gear who cycled into the ditch. Both cousins will not go down near the field past 11 at night. When the story was over the usual light hearted remarks were made at the table, but the yarn had stuck in my head. My partners friend mentioned that there was an old mass path near the field and perhaps the men on the bicycle were linked as other people in the area purported to hear hooves at night on the mass path despite the lack of horses in the vicinity. A couple of weeks later I happened to be on the website of the military archives reading accounts of the IRA in North Tipperary during the Black and Tan Wars. I read three separate accounts where naturally enough big assassinations or killings were interlinked. Low and behold they all reported the murder of two RIC men in Kiloskehane during bad weather at the end of September 1920, but didn't report if the men were on bikes. I eventually came across a witness statement from a John Leahy from Nenagh who ordered the murder. The two RIC men were shot by 12 volunteers on that area of road a few fields form Kiloskehane, you can imagine what state their bodies and faces must have been in. They were both on bike and wearing rain gear as it was bad weather. Their bodies were then dumped into an unsuspecting civilian car back to temple more where the passengers of the car had to carry the bodies their knees. My partner reckons that his friend from Barnane or his cousins didnt know anything about the IRA shootings before they saw the ghost men on bikes with no faces. Moral of the story is..don't go into Barnane late at night!!!

Advertisement