Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident by Bushy Park

Options
  • 16-10-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Anyone know what happened on the main road by Bushy Park this morning?

On my way by there were loads of police putting out numbered signs for the photographs of the scene and a very mangled looking bike.

It looked pretty serious but I can't see anything about it yet on the news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i heard on newstalk 7:30am news there was a crash and traffic was bad, avoid the area, but didn't hear any more about it.
    Doesn't sound too promising.... :(

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

possibly this from Irish times?
    Gardaí appeal for help after cyclist injured in hit and run
    Gardaí in Dublin are appealing for help from the public after a cyclist was seriously injured in a hit and run incident on the Tempelogue Road in the early hours of the morning.

The man was struck from behind by an unknown vehicle which failed to stop as he travelled on the Templeogue Road at about 1.45am

The cyclist was taken to St James's hospital suffering from serious injuries.

It is believed the vehicle involved would be missing the mirror from its passenger door.

Gardaí in Terenure are looking to speaking to anyone who was in the area between 1.30am and 2am. They are particularly anxious to speal to the driver of a red Ford Focus seen in the area at the time.

Anyone with information to offer is asked to contact gardaí at Terenure on 01 6666400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Saw this on my way to work this morning, and by the looks of the bike it didnt look good. Checking news all day and assumed no news was good news. Hope they catch the prick, and the cyclist recovers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Happened just outside my school and I noticed it as I was cycling in. I heard talks that the guy didn't make it but I'm hoping that's just a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Update from the Irish Times:
    Man held after cyclist injured in hit and run

Gardaí in Dublin have arrested a man following a hit and run incident in the early hours of the morning.

The 32-year-old man is being held in Terenure Garda Station under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act following an incident on the Templeogue Road at about 1.45am in which a cyclist was struck from behind by a vehicle which failed to stop.

The cyclist was taken to St James's hospital suffering from serious injuries.

Earlier today gardaí had appealed for help from the public in tracing the car and its driver.

© 2008 irishtimes.com
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1016/breaking64.htm

Well done to the guards. Hope the cyclist comes through okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hope they got the right guy and if so, I hope he serves the rest of his live behind bars.

Whatever about being careless enough to hit someone, driving away afterwards is just beyond understanding, hope the barsteward gets the kitchen sink thrown at him.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

That's pretty shocking stuff for sure. Would be interested to know how the Gardai tracked the guy down - fair play to them. Even murder in this country means you'll be out after around 12 years, so unfortunately I doubt this guy will serve as much time as many of us might feel his actions warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

hit and runs (in fact i think most traffic accidents) around that time of the night/morning are drink related. wouldnt surprise me if the driver realised he was possibly over the limit, legged it, and handed himself in the next morning once he'd sobered up. therefore catching one charge but avoiding a much more serious one.

i'd be very surprised if there were many witnesses at that hour of the night.

people give out about cyclists not obeying the rules of the road sometimes, not everyone's an angel - but here's the difference between us and motorists laid bare. cars are big, fast moving heavy lumps of metal that kill people. one of them clocks you and you're finished for months at least (i'm currently living proof of this), if you come out alive.

i hate cars. i've sworn to myself i'm never buying one, ever. i'm 32 soon and havent bought one yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Would be interested to know how the Gardai tracked the guy down

The guy left the wing mirror at the scene. So that would identify the car and colour. I'd say the driver saw this on the news and handed himself in, as said above, probably once he sobered up. Or else someone else saw that the car was missing a mirror and reported it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, went by this myself yesterday morning. It was around 7.30 - I'd assumed it had just happened since the bike was still there, but obviously they're taking the forensic stuff very seriously now.

Good to hear they have the guy. As someone else said, the driver was most likely legless at the time and ran, or he was so legless he didn't even realise what happened until the news report jogged his memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Any word on how the cyclist is ?

Advertisement