Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Cloud? Need ideas...

Options
  • 16-10-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I need to make a Cloud exactly like the genie in the meteor ads has. Sown here on thier bebo page...
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7426114801

Its for a play and needs to be just like that. Something I can wear around the waist easily. I was thinking Cotton or something but then, how could I make it into a round shape that I could fit around my waist.

Basically just looking for ideas on how to achieve this and what would be the best material.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If you can find an inflatable inner tube that sits comfortably around you waist you can build the cloud shape around it by sticking tissue paper and cotton to it. How big and solid looking do you want it? Do you have to move alot in it? You can build something with chicken wire and paper mache, then cover with felt or cotton to give the cloud look but it could end up being very stiff and uncomfortable to wear. You could take a pair of shorts and some tights, cut the legs off the tights, stuff them with newspaper to give them shape and sew them around the top of the shorts to give you a base shape then take something like a stiff cheese cloth and make a cloud shape on top again covering with light tissue paper and cotton for the cloud look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solarpitch

Wow.. thanks for that. Yeah I have to move around quite alot in it and I really need it to look very good. I like the idea of the rubber tube as a base.. because it would fit snug, be able to move alot with it too.

That could be a good option. Chicken wire might be a bit too fragile altogether and move about abit too much.

As regards big and solid looking... pretty identical to what is in the image of the mobile genie. Needs to be that big and that filling.

For the cloud itself, if I was to go with the tube, the best material to use would be cotton? I can keep gluing until I resemble the shape of the cloud? Cotton is easy to break apart and spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

How about the stuffing in pillows or cushions (obviously the cheap non-feather types), you could probably pick a fair few cheap ones in Pennys.

Yeah I like that idea too. But would that stuff not be more messy than cotton? I think cotton would be a little harder to pull away.

Oh yeah, were could I get enough cotton for this anyhow? I can hardly get those little cotton balls... I'd need much larger strands or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stitchlily

Roving, is what you use in felting. Its fleecy material, and would be easier to use than cotton wool, although not as brilliant white, it is not as fine, and wouldnt come off as easily. I know one supplier in Mayo, www.derryauncrafts.ie. Otherwise you could buy stuffing/cushion foam, cut it into shape and paint/spray it white. Another idea is using Styrafoam. It carves really easy with a knife, like a bread knife, so you could make it bumpy in parts. It glues together easily enugh so you can make layers, then carve into it. Then just brush watered down PVA glue over it, so the bits dont go everywere. (watchout when cutting styrafoam as the little balls of it get EVERYWHERE!!)

Cant think of anything else...

• Advertisement

Ok, Thanks for the suggestions! I think the best option is the rubber tube and cotton. The only problem I can see with it is being too rounded and not the shape like the mobile genie.

What would be a good way to build out the Cotton from the rubber ring itself to achieve the shape? Never tried gluing cotton onto cotton so not sure how that would hold up :)

Solarpitch wrote: »
    Ok, Thanks for the suggestions! I think the best option is the rubber tube and cotton. The only problem I can see with it is being too rounded and not the shape like the mobile genie.

What would be a good way to build out the Cotton from the rubber ring itself to achieve the shape? Never tried gluing cotton onto cotton so not sure how that would hold up :)

Your better trying to find something to create a base shape and just covering that with a thin layer of cotton rather then trying to build up the entire shape with cotton. you could try making the shape by buidling up some layers of cheese cloth or another stiff but light fabric and then covering in felt/cotton/cloud looking material or if you want to really play around you can try getting some small inflatable beach balls to attach to the rubber ring to create the shape then cover in cloud looking material - you could use balloons but they are more likely to pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stitchlily

If your going with the rubber tube (swimming tube), you'll need some time to build it up slowly, waiting for each side to dry before rotating it, and then doing another side. Get some good glue like Copydex, more expensive than PVA, takes longer to dry, but it is probably better for sticking to rubber. Not all glues work well with rubber, so check the labels. Also, get the rolls of cotton wool for the base, and do a few layers with that. It'll will then build up faster. Then you can start adding the cotton balls. You could probably use watered down copydex. Try a test piece on the cotton balls and see how it sticks. Dont forget the cotton will prob go hard once it is dried, so try not to over-water it..
    Since its coming up to halloween, you can prob buy spray cobweb, maybe that could be used in some way. Thats all I can think of!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

why not just use cardboard? you could use safety pins to hold the cardboard to your clothing. And stick the cotton on the cardboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Yeah I like that idea too. But would that stuff not be more messy than cotton? I think cotton would be a little harder to pull away.

Oh yeah, were could I get enough cotton for this anyhow? I can hardly get those little cotton balls... I'd need much larger strands or something.

nah if you have a look at it its far less messy than cotton. I'd go for that or the felt, or possibly netting for curtains - that'd be quite easy to manipulate. Cotton sticks to everything!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys... I'll be having a look at this during the end of the week. I'll let ya know how I get on and what material I ended up using. I wish I could just buy a cloud like what I'm after... that would save alot of time! :cool:

Thanks.

was just thinking might be worth checking some of the dance wear shops - if you could find a cheap tutu that would be easy to wear and give you a good base shape that you can build on top of to make the cloud shape.

lol ... That's the best idea yet I think. A tutu would be really light and easy to wear. Would be fairly easy to sew and pin bits of felt or cotton onto it to get the desired shape. I might get a tutu, use felt to built the shape then a small bit of cotton to give it a fluffy look. ;)

Great idea. Thanks.

Advertisement