Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basil pests

Options
  • 16-10-2008 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, would anyone know how I can get rid of whatever is eating my basil plant? It is an indoors plant, on my kitchen window, and this has only started in the last few weeks (cold weather?). I can see holes where something has been eating it, but cannot find any critters.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm not sure how much more of the plant will be affected, and how quickly!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pick pot up, turn over and examine thoroughly for evidence of critters. Look under the leaves, in the topsoil and then look in the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. Usually what takes bites out of leaves is a slug or snail, or a caterpillar. Aphids just cluster on young leaves and suck sap from the plant.

Have any pets at home? I have holes in the leaves of one of my pumpkin seedlings and racked my brains for what that could be, eventually discovering one of my cats was chomping on them and they were puncture holes from his teeth.

Advertisement