Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building your own frame

Options
  • 16-10-2008 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to build my own bike from the ground up. Has anyone done this or does anyone know where I might be able to get information on deciding on frame dimensions etc.

I know its a pretty crazy question but it something that I really want to do. Although my ultimate goal would by a Ti frame I will start with a basic light weight steel or allu frame. A good friend of my is an engineer so he'll be helping me out (showing me how to weld etc and making sure it correct) but I need to make all the decision about seat angles metals etc.

So far I have come across a supplier where I can get all the art I need for the frame for about 130 pounds CEEWAY in the UK and also some sites that have done the same.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/framebuild.htm

http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/frame/

At this stage I'd say that for about 350euro I'll be able to get a custom built frame painted and decaled ready to for stage two the build. Its a good little project and at the end of the day I'll have something unique.

Am I off my rocker trying to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Make something with interesting features, that you wouldn't be able to buy off the shelf.

Lugged steel frames can look very nice IMO.

Use Reynolds tubing, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

I think it's a great idea.
    I'd love to try and build a carbon frame as described on instructables, the bamboo one would be pretty sweet too: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-I-built-a-carbon-bike-frame-at-home-and-a-bam/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm sure your gonna do alot of welding practice on old tubes before you start on your new ones??? otherwise you are off your rocker.

Your mate may be an engineer but is he a welder??? I'm an engineer and I couldn't even turn a welder on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

First time welding and safe frame to cycle? Bonkers.

There's a lad on here who took a welding course and can tell you how bleedin difficult it is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Your mate may be an engineer but is he a welder???

Yes yes... of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Grand so, best of luck with it. I woudn't worry if you lose a whole load of money doing it. It's a hobby and that's what hobbies are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

You're nuts to consider this, but in a good way :)

You certainly have an appropriate username for would-be bike builder

Lumen wrote: »
    Lugged steel frames can look very nice IMO.

I agree there....Its not so much that they look nicer the the alternatives but they are just different. I'm either gonna end up with a bloddy nice bike or the confirmation that off-the-shelf works well for me ... wither way I won't die not knowing.

Its going to be my winter bike to save my other bike -- :-). I'm still not 100% whether a steel fixie or a alu campo but I'll get there. I've been onto the suppliers to get the costings for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

You could try this chap, who does framebuilding courses over a few days, and you have your own frame by the end of it. He supplies the materials. You'd have to travel over but you could make a week of it.

www.daveyatescycles.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

@Lumen - Good luck with this. I don't get my hands dirty too much these days but I'm a fully qualified metal fabricator and certified welder so just shout if you've any questions. I know you said your mates an engineer, but you never know...

Ste :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SetOverSet wrote: »
    @Lumen - Good luck with this. I don't get my hands dirty too much these days but I'm a fully qualified metal fabricator and certified welder so just shout if you've any questions. I know you said your mates an engineer, but you never know...

Ste :)

I think that was directed at the OP, not me.

You wouldn't want to see me build a frame, although I have toyed with the idea of doing a welding course in the evenings.

"Metal fabricator" sounds interesting - you sound like a useful person to know. O/T, but I once owned an MX5 for which I had a chassis-mounted hitch/rack fabricated - it could carry two surfboards and two bikes without anything touching the bodywork, with enough clearance to operate the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

that was me who did the welding course. yeah it took a bit of time to get the hang of it, and my welds were awful to tell you the truth. but i enjoyed it, it was good to have a new skill, and i'd be confident enough handling a torch in future for other things too.

here's where my attempt at a "frame" ended up :D
    it was more just to practise the welds. i knew it'd never be useable, for obvious reasons.

2489894633_03f56394aa.jpg

flickerx wrote: »
    2489894633_03f56394aa.jpg

Very Reassuring

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

well, if you do go ahead.. try and take lots of photographs of each stage..
    I'd be interested in seeing them, and would imagine others would too..
    Good luck..

Advertisement