Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Show with John Stewart

Options
  • 16-10-2008 7:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Never seen a thread up about this program before and I was just wondering if many others on here watch it. I've been watching it for about 2 years now and I have to say I fukking love it. I'm out of the country at the minute and can't get it on telly but I'm still catching most of it on their site, been great since the election campaign kicked into full swing, Palin has been a material goldmine for them, tearing her to shreds pretty much every night, which can only be a good thing. Anyway if anyone hasn't seen it before you should definitely check it out if you get a chance. Great writers and Stewart is a fukking legend, you should check out his appearance on Crossfire, he pretty much single handedly canceled the show.

www.thedailyshow.com

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's a good show, the more left leaning you are the funnier you'll probably find it.

I first heard of it at the 2000 presidential election in the US. Downloaded their election night coverage, and my god I never laughed so hard in my life. I'm hoping they do somethnig similar this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

If you like The Daily Show check out The Colbert Report on FX or http://www.colbertnation.com/home

Both are great and I love how you can watch them online on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I watch it as much as I can, it can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, but when they have the material set up for them it is hilarious.
    The guests can be boring at times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

its funny alright at times, but it is extremely biased towards the left, so you have to take it with a pinch of salt. Some of the snippets they use are so out of context it takes the fun out of it.

It is probably the polar opposite of the Bill O Rielly factor from Fox(extreme right).

This is interesting because Bill O Rielly will be a guest on Jon Stewart in a couple of weeks, that could be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Oh yeah, stewart showed a lot of class when hosting the Oscars last year, when Glen hansard and merketa irglova won the Oscar (best song), she was about to make her acceptance speech and she was cut off and had to leave the stage, he came straight on and called her back out to lwet her have her moment of glory. Nice touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

its funny alright at times, but it is extremely biased towards the left, so you have to take it with a pinch of salt

Well, we'll see next year hopefully. A lot of so called lefty satirists absolutely got stuck into Bill Clinton too (and the Hillary/Obama primaries). It could be anti establishment than out and out lefty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Dodge wrote: »
    It could be anti establishment than out and out lefty

I agree. While it does lean left, it regards the Democrats as fair game too. I watched their coverage of both conventions and they seemed to be even-handed in their lampooning, e.g. Jon Oliver roaring Osama during Obama's speech.

As they could have said themselves, with President George W Bush and Governor Sarah Palin, 'sometimes the comedy just writes itself'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is funny stuff alright. Colbert afterwards makes for a great hour of television.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Always good for a giggle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The only thing I don't like abouy TDS is the correspondents. All of them miss the mark for me. There are 2 in particular, the woman and the beefy guy that just try to play it way too wacky. The material is funny, if they just played it straight like a real report it would be much funnier.

I love Colbert though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I do like it though I tend to go through phases of watching and not watching it. Also, it's a bit hit and miss. For some reason, even though they don't do running gags much, I find the more I watch of it the more I warm to it. If I give it a break and come back I find it less funny for a while.

I do think it is a left leaning show but that's no harm given how many popular right leaning shows are out there.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I do think it is a left leaning show but that's no harm given how many popular right leaning shows are out there.

Excluding FOX, could you name some ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

TarfHead wrote: »
    The Colbert Report, obviously :p

humanji wrote: »
    The Colbert Report, obviously :p

If it ever gets to more4, I'll take a look. Until then, I can't comment on something I've never seen. Though I remember seeing him on TDS & Curb Your Enthusiasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Funniest thing on TV - always get a belly laugh.

The first half is the funniest, and most of the guests are very boring - although Stewart usually gets a laugh out of them. Agree that the correspondents are the least funny part of it.

There's a good team of writers, but Stewart has a quick wit also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If it ever gets to more4, I'll take a look.

FX hold the rights over here. http://www.colbertnation.com/home will give you an idea of what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I love The Daily Show. Been watching it for a few years. I think Jon Stewwart is an intelligent, likeable guy as well, although I do think the audience fawns over what he says a bit much but I think that comes with the show's success. I think the peak years were when they had the likes of Steve Carell, Ed Helms, Stephen Colbert and Rob Cordry. Some of the report segments they did were just outstandingly funny.

Anyone remember 'Slimming Down with Steve'...?

Great song as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What would that prove, exactly?
    I love The Daily Show. Been watching it for a few years. I think Jon Stewwart is an intelligent, likeable guy as well, although I do think the audience fawns over what he says a bit much but I think that comes with the show's success.

Yeah, that's true but I think that's partly American audiences for you too. Apparently a lot of the writing staff were originally from The Onion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I stopped watching when I saw how Stewart was talking about McCain after fawning over him for so long. The interview with Dick Cheney's wife put me off a bit and now seeing how he talks about McCain I've lost almost all respect for Stewart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

If it ever gets to more4, I'll take a look. Until then, I can't comment on something I've never seen. Though I remember seeing him on TDS & Curb Your Enthusiasm.

If you have more4 you more than likely have FX. Sky Channel 164

• Advertisement
Advertisement