Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm complaining to Channel Ten.....

Options
  • 16-10-2008 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

That's right folks I've written my first ever letter of complaint and it goes to Australia's national broadcaster.

Last night's Late News carried a story on increasing prices for shoppers in Europe. They described the situation for shoppers in Britain, how difficult it was for British people tc, and then proceeded to interview a few of these 'British' consumers........on feckin Grafton Street! They spoke to some young one just beside BT and then another woman at the bottom of the street.

Now I'm no Republican but blatant ignorance like that is intolerable. As a journalist myself I find inaccuracy in reporting highly irritating and I've taken it upon myself to let Channel Ten know how shite their attention to detail is.

Letter's going in the post this lunch time.

I may be overreacting slightly but sure feck it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's right folks I've written my first ever letter of complaint and it goes to Australia's national broadcaster.

Last night's Late News carried a story on increasing prices for shoppers in Europe. They described the situation for shoppers in Britain, how difficult it was for British people tc, and then proceeded to interview a few of these 'British' consumers........on feckin Grafton Street! They spoke to some young one just beside BT and then another woman at the bottom of the street.

Now I'm no Republican but blatant ignorance like that is intolerable. As a journalist myself I find inaccuracy in reporting highly irritating and I've taken it upon myself to let Channel Ten know how shite their attention to detail is.

Lunch time is over!!!
    NOooooooo!
    Now they will never know their ignorance!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ask them for a video of that Wayne Kerr interview as part of their apology.:)

I thought of all countries Australia would know the difference between Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Ignorance is bliss.

It's not the first time I've witnessed this carry on over here. Whenever I encounter such ignorance, I respond with "Oh ya...well Shane Warne was New Zealand's best cricketer!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I actually seen that too! First I thought it was just an Irish girl in England .. but I did hear an English voice somewhere ...

But at least now I know I wasn't cracking up

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

hussey wrote: »
    I actually seen that too! First I thought it was just an Irish girl in England .. but I did hear an English voice somewhere ...

But at least now I know I wasn't cracking up

Yeah the second bird was English but she was on Grafton Street. The first bird was definitely a southsider though.

Letter's been sent anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yeah by way of an explanation tell them that it would be like the BBC doing a similar report on Australia, and going to Auckland to interview people.

I meet Aussies all the time who get it mixed up, and I don't like when they get it wrong. But for a national broadcaster to get it wrong is ridiculous.

For the craic if you wanna post up the wording, and I'll send the same one! Two complaints is better than one!

/edit, doh, too late!

You have to download a complaint form which is at the bottom of the page available here -

http://ten.com.au/contact_us.html

My words were -
    The Channel Ten Late News on October 15, 2008, ran a segment on increasing shopping prices around the world. They interviewed people on a European street, referring to them as British shoppers. However the street was clearly Grafton Street in Dublin and the people were Irish. The Republic of Ireland has never been part of Britain. Even when under British rule it was always ‘Great Britain and Ireland’ and Irish people find it highly insulting to be tarred with the ‘British’ brush. As a journalist myself I find inaccurate reporting highly irritating. Somebody’s nationality is a simple detail that surely a national broadcaster would be able to report accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

amacachi wrote: »
    I thought of all countries Australia would know the difference between Ireland and the UK.

Majority of us do... but since we are talking about Channel Ten news, its hardly a surprise. No one watches that for serious segments, ABC or Channel Nine are usually better informed. Channel Ten news does sensationalist crap and sports. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Good man yourself. Can't stand factually incorrect journalism.
    They might have had to go to Ireland because the prices are actually going down in the UK shops. It's utilities that are going up.

To add another example without hijacking...
    I'm currently trying to get my Visa and teaching registration sorted, as an Irish girl, living in Scotland. Scotland has a different police clearance system to England, Wales and NI, as of course too does Ireland.

I was told that despite having my Scottish and Irish police clearances, I have to get an English one too as they view London as the central seat of government for Britain and Ireland... :eek:

Got my 457 employer on the case and they got it sorted in a couple of hours. Might have helped that I'm being sponsored by a government department, but
    jaysus it's ignorant.
    I was really shocked given they have states and regions, with different rules, that they couldn't seem to fathom that there is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Channel 10 is the absolute lowest of the low when it comes to the media over here. It's Australia's version of fox news.

Last night I was watching a doc-o on Aborigines on SBS, and they showed a news report from Channel 10 the day Aboriginals got land rights back in 1992. The headline was "Aboriginal Land Rights- How safe is your home?"

They're racist, xenophobic bigots, stick to SBS/ ABC for your tv news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Good on you Xavi. I, too, hate inaccurate reporting especially about facts that are easy to get right.

I'm presuming they got that footage from another news company in Europe and didn't bother to check where it came from.

Let us know if you get a response.

Well the bastards never got back to me so this lunch time I got on the blower to Channel ten's Perth office and gave them a piece of my mind. I am now in the possession of the email address of Channel Ten Sydney's head of news who will be getting a nicely worded email on Monday morning.

On the same topic, I have also sent an email to ninemsn to correct a question in their daily quiz which states -
    'Popstar Rihanna's band members got into a punch up with which UK boy band?'
    A. Take That
    B. East 17
    C. Boyzone
    D. Westlife

I have politely informed them that the latter two bands are from Ireland which is not part of the UK. No doubt I'll hear nothing from them pricks either.

I thought east 17 were from wexford no?

I thought east 17 were from wexford no?

No, they're just idiots

See they won't understand unless you give them an analagy. Tell them it would be like asking the following question:

AC/DC were from which of the following Australian Cities:

Melbourne
    Sydney
    Auckland
    Christchurch

They MIGHT understand that!

See they won't understand unless you give them an analagy. Tell them it would be like asking the following question:

AC/DC were from which of the following Australian Cities:

Melbourne
    Sydney
    Auckland
    Christchurch

They MIGHT understand that!

but seriously is it a big loss to tell people Bryan .. sorry Brian McFadden is from UK? ;)

What guitar does AC/DC drummer Bon Scott play:

*A piano
    *an Acoustic
    *tea cup
    *tea towel

They MIGHT NOT understand that!

hussey wrote: »
    but seriously is it a big loss to tell people Bryan .. sorry Brian McFadden is from UK? ;)

Lol yeah they can have him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Fair play to you Xavi. How can news channels get something like that so wrong. A quick Google will give them what they need.
    Is there someone working there doing it on purpose maybe (an orangeman!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

JOKE JOKE JOKE

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,,24650070-5006301,00.html

Proof that Aussies are the worlds greatest w*nkers. JOKE JOKE JOKE

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote: »

Proof that Aussies are the worlds greatest w*nkers.

Can we tone down the sweeping generalisations please? Thanks.

IT'S A JOKE

IT'S A JOKE

Is it? Maybe you should make that more obvious - or actually be funny in future. The article, although nothing to do with this thread or topic was funny.

Anyway, perhaps we can get back on topic now - such that that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

You would be surprised how many people in Australia can't actually tell the difference between Irish and English people. My dad who is Irish loves to parade his Irishness about whenever he is abroad. One time we were in my local boozer and I asked the female bartender where she thought my dad was from. Her reply without batting an eyelid was England. My poor ol' man was crestfallen but I had to laugh. If the shoe were to be on the other foot I would be keen to know how many Irish people can discern Kiwis from Aussies at first blush?

When i lived in Australia (5 years) I would be regularly asked what part of Scotland I came from, I would always explain I was from Ireland, and ask them politely what part of New Zealand they were from, often they took offence to it.

Kiwi accent is very different, when you heard it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

JOKE JOKE JOKE

Proof that Aussies are the worlds greatest w*nkers. JOKE JOKE JOKE

Ha, ha. Love it! :D
    On the same topic, I have also sent an email to ninemsn to correct a question in their daily quiz which states -

I have politely informed them that the latter two bands are from Ireland which is not part of the UK. No doubt I'll hear nothing from them pricks either.

The thing is we hardly care about such things. Take a look at Russell Crowe, he is from NZ and we claim him as our own. Same can be said for Mel Gibson, who is from USA but got his first acting break here. AC/DC's founders are actually Scottish, but grew up in Sydney. Crowded House are from NZ, but we claim them too. The list goes on. So stating that Irish boy bands are from the UK wouldn't even register as being incorrect for most. :cool:

missannik wrote: »
    Ha, ha. Love it! :D

The thing is we hardly care about such things. Take a look at Russell Crowe, he is from NZ and we claim him as our own. Same can be said for Mel Gibson, who is from USA but got his first acting break here. AC/DC's founders are actually Scottish, but grew up in Sydney. Crowded House are from NZ, but we claim them too. The list goes on. So stating that Irish boy bands are from the UK wouldn't even register as being incorrect for most. :cool:

Ah but the difference is they grew up in Oz and probably claim themselves to be Australian ... but the irish guys don't claim to be from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Kiwi accent is very different, when you heard it a few times.
    Of course but how many Irish people would pick it unless they had the two standing next to each other in the line for fish and chips :D

Gotta love the Kiwi accent though.

Yes but I find the are a bit slow and you have to explain jokes and irony to them.
    I think they may be hypothyroid.

• Advertisement

:confused:
    Yes but I find the are a bit slow and you have to explain jokes and irony to them.
    I think they may be hypothyroid.
    :confused:

Advertisement