Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Boorman

Options
  • 15-10-2008 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Good night.
    Does anybody else find Charlie Boorman the most irritating of documenatry makers. Christ! he's boring. He thinks everything is ****ing great. You hope his boat will sink but you know it isn't going to happen. It's like flicking through someones round-the-world trip photos and pretending to enjoy the experience.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Defintely, esp when he is dealing with the locals - it is irritating to watch.

While our Hector can be irritating on his travels also, he does redeem himself with the more natural rapport he builds up with the natives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Tell us what you really think.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

I agree with you oj Hector. He does develop a rapport with locals however he has an amazing ability of saying an almighty amount of words without actually communicating anything to his audience..

Maybe I hate the way his face is 3 inches away from the camera all the time. Maybe it's the way he doesn't seem to make many friends along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

i find him incredibly irritating.
    The last two documentaries that team have been behind have been hollow as a bone. (i enjoyed the first one, Long Way Round)
    That Any Means Necessary show was an interesting pitch, until we find out every mode of transport has been organised in advance by the crew.
    There's no edge at all to him or the show and what's worse it dupes the viewer - just an excuse for a middle aged toff to experience 'some of the most spiritual places in the world' and complain about missing his family.

• Advertisement

I agree with everything you say. Thankyou!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

charlie.jpgSeparated at Birth?Keef_miller.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I actually find his shows enjoyable to watch. I presumse you're talking about his newest documentary, it's about how he and his director get from Ireland to Sydney, not about the places they visit when going there, if was want that stuff watch the Lonely Planet shows.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Jip wrote: »
    I actually find his shows enjoyable to watch. I presumse you're talking about his newest documentary, it's about how he and his director get from Ireland to Sydney...
    ...in the most contrived manner possible.

By 2011, Charlie Boorman will be unable to go for a weekend break with his wife without pitching the idea to a commissioning editor.

"It's a romantic weekend in the Cotswolds: me, the wife, a director, a cameraman on a motorbike, 2 producers, and 3 runners. After dropping the kids over to their grandparents on Friday, we have to get to the Cotswolds via all the entire coastline of Northwest Scotland...on jetskis."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I enjoyed "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down" but those very much worked because of Ewan McGregor too - the shows he has been doing himself really are not up to snuff, but I guess since he has no other claim to "fame" (unlike McGregor) other than these documentaries, he's milking them for all they're worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Robbo wrote: »
    "It's a romantic weekend in the Cotswolds: me, the wife, a director, a cameraman on a motorbike, 2 producers, and 3 runners. After dropping the kids over to their grandparents on Friday, we have to get to the Cotswolds via all the entire coastline of Northwest Scotland...on jetskis."
    Sold!

He's OK when he's with Ewan McGregor. He's a bit much on his own. I wonder if they'll do another one. West to east and north to south have been done, as well as Wicklow to Sydney....what could they do next? Follow Che's route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Robbo wrote: »
    ...in the most contrived manner possible.

which was the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I watched the last 3 episodes of his latest show and he just reminded me of a 12 year old boy in an adults body, over-excited, spoilt and quite rude at times.

I did enjoy the shows though but mainly because I had recently done pretty much the same route from Cambodia on but with a few more flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Meh

I am enjoying the Ireland to Sydney show. Currently on episode 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Sold!

He's OK when he's with Ewan McGregor. He's a bit much on his own. I wonder if they'll do another one. West to east and north to south have been done, as well as Wicklow to Sydney....what could they do next? Follow Che's route?

Think it might be south america.

Long way up maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Has to be the motorcycle diaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I like Boorman! I find him very personable and entertaining to watch.

Who cares what friends he doesn't make on his way, if he was making friends, yous would prob be complaining about how insincere his friendships were due to the short space of time he was in each country. I like his producer guy on By Any Means also, he's kinda funny in a "put-upon-wife" sorta way.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I like Charlie Boorman

I loved Long Way Round & Long Way Down
    By Any Means was certainly different but I still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I like him. I like his shows.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

And I think Charlie's alright too. Speaking a biker, I like seeing other bikers on the telly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement