Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia's Great Barrier Reef

Options
  • 15-10-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Have anyone been there? What is best place to stay for week (for 2 days diving and relax days)? How to get there and how much will it cost? Tried to search some travel agencies but with no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I've been there twice, it is absolutely huge, there are so many places to go diving!

Most people go diving either Via Cairns or whitsunday Islands.

Cairns main advantage is the price, since so many people go from here it is cheaper, but it also has disadvantage as there are more people per boat etc.

Whitsunday islands is magnificent, sailing around beautiful islands and can dive off the sailing boats etc

Now for price .. you'll need to give us some info? when will you be in Oz? have you booked tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Port Douglas is a good spot to base yourself. Some decent pubs and regular diving/submarine trips to the reef.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Been there twice (i.e. North East coast of aussie) but each time i've only ever made it to airlie beach.
    Everytime i get there i relax and spend my cash going diving!!!

It's such a small relaxing place...... I can't compare it to Cairns or Whitsundays as i've never been there.

If you do go there - i went with an operation called kelly dive - professional, fun and a totally good time to be had (although it was a good few years ago and times may have changed, if they're still around!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I went on a day snorkelling trip to the reef from Cairns. As far as I remember it was about $50 - $80. Cairns is full of tour operaters all competing with each other so you should get a good deal from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MCTarakan

I haven't booked anything yet... Financial crysis, you know :)

So, I just planning it for next year autumn and want to know all expenses. What best way to get there from Ireland and how much do I need to save...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Port Douglas is the place to go from. The reef is far more impressive than off the Whitsunday coast. There's an operator called QuickSilver or something with a large pontoon on the reef itself and they provide all sorts of options to see the reef - snorkelling, scuba-diving, ocean-walk, boats with see-through hulls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Roughly how much does it cost per dive?

Advertisement