Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need bed help

Options
  • 15-10-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi people

I don't know whether to post this up in the diy section or here. Hope this is right.

Ok i broke my bed and need to get it fixed asap.

As you can see from the pics below only the side bar(or whatever you call it) is broken and i have books holding it up in the photo. So basically all i need is someone to make me another piece and ill fit it myself. It's snapped in half so i don't see any other way then getting a new piece. The rest of the bed is fine. So the new piece has to be exactly the same i.e varnished and same style. Also if anyone has any good tips they would be most appreciated as i do not have any knowledge of woodcraft.

I live at Thatch Road, Whitehall. So if anyone lives close and can do it or if you know anyone please let me know. Send me a message and give me a price and ill send you all the info you need (measurements etc).

dsc01142xi0.jpg

dsc01144fy6.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Hi Snake2,
    Have you thought about searching the likes of adverts.ie (free stuff) or jumbletown.ie to see if anybody can offer you a spare bed part? I have seen many of these beds disposed of over the years and the frame is usually a standard size.
    Hope this helps
    Misschipp

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snake2

misschipp wrote: »
    Hi Snake2,
    Have you thought about searching the likes of adverts.ie (free stuff) or jumbletown.ie to see if anybody can offer you a spare bed part? I have seen many of these beds disposed of over the years and the frame is usually a standard size.
    Hope this helps
    Misschipp

Thanks for replying, i checked adverts.ie i few days ago must check it again, never heard of the other site ill have to look at it now.

Still though if their is anybody that can do this job, would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Can I recommend a "self-fix"? I would try and realign the split parts and if this can be use a quality glue and glue the lot together, clamping overnight. Then get a decent bit of 19mm WBP plywood, cut to fit, glue and screw to the back of the rail to reinforce the entire rail. Sand back the front, using a little Brummer stopping to fill any cracks and finish with two or three coats of Danish oil. Judging by the size and location of the knots it was probably inevitable that this rail was going to break in time.

Advertisement