Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Best Bike Book

Options
  • 15-10-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Looking for a good book on cycling, both mountain biking and tri-athalon. Something that covers Bike maintenace, training etc. and I can pick up in Easons.

Any recommndations would be greatly appreciated. It's for a gift.

Comments

I think a good few people here swear by Zinn and the Art of Mountain/Road (delete as required) Bike Maintenance if previous threads are anything to go by. Alternatively have a quick google of Sheldon Brown for maintenance stuff but unless you print it all out it'd be hard to give it as a gift.

Training I'm afraid that I don't have a clue but I'm sure someone else will give a better answer shortly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's one thing recommending a bike book but one which can be specifically be found in Easons? Why don't you try Easons yourself, see what they have and ask for a recommendation based on that?

They even have a website believe it or not
    http://www.eason.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Zinn book is good, it's all maintenance though, not a book about technique etc. - presuming that is what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

http://www.eason.ie/look/9781405311625/Complete-Bike-Book--Choosing--Riding--and-Maintaining-Your-Bike/Chris-Sidwells

This is one I bought when I started out at the start of the year, I found it very informative, with easy to follow maintenence tips, and covers most bikes, from hybrids, MTB to road bikes, training plans and pro tips

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

It's possible you're really looking for two books here: one on maintenance and another for training tips. I can offer no advice on the latter but for maintenance I'd highly recommend the various Haynes manuals which transformed my relationship with my bike. Choose the one that seems most appropriate to the kind of cycling the gift recipient is likely to do. Another good maintenance book is that written by Calvin Jones for Park Tools (http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=19&item=BBB-1). Between them, they should allow the reader to undertake all but the most advanced tuning and repairs. You'll find the Haynes manuals in virtually any book store. The Park Tools one might be harder to find although Cycleways on Parnell Street were selling it for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i have the zinn book for road bikes which is really good. Also have a book by a guy called joe friel on training, can check when i get home. Got one from wiggle and the other from play.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

rflynnr wrote: »
    for maintenance I'd highly recommend the various Haynes manuals which transformed my relationship with my bike.

+1. You can get this downstairs on O'Connell St Eason's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks guys for all the replies

Will go check it out today.

Advertisement