Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluminium versus Steel for rust?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just how much of a difference is there between aluminium and steel when it comes to rust? From what I know steel rusts a lot quicker than aluminium?

I am looking a tough, low maintenance commuter, probably fixie. If the bike is going to be usually locked up outside, should I steer clear of steel frames?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Aluminium doesn't rust*

I wouldn't worry about steel rusting though - it'll take years and years for it to cause any serious damage. You can treat the inside of the frame too if you're concerned. Any scratches in the paintwork might result in rust-spots but you can always touch this up.

Steel is reputed to have a more forgiving ride than (cheap) aluminium, but it doesn't matter that much for a commuter.

To answer your question - no, don't steer clear of steel. Get whatever frame you like - don't worry too much about the material.

* OK, it oxidizes but only a thin surface layer which you won't really see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Aluminium doesn't "rust"; it does oxidise but this is not a problem with aluminium. Steel does rust but the frame will be painted to protect it. if looked after well it can last for years and years, while I have read that aluminium will fatigue over time (not the sort of timescale you are likely to be worried about however.)

If going for something new you will probably get an aluminium fixie cheaper than a steel one and it will likely be lighter to boot. I have a £225 Giant Bowery and very happy with it. Steel will get you more street cred with the hipsters; in fairness there is nothing more aesthetically pleasing than a good lugged steel frame.

http://www.theruststore.com/Does-Aluminum-Rust-W26C2.aspx
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-anodized-aluminum.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Thanks for the info guys! So for what I need either material will do fine.

Giant Bowery would suit fine, pity that I missed the 08 model discounts, can't see any of the great £225 offers left. :(

Advertisement