Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I still cycle

Options
  • 15-10-2008 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

... with a broken thumb? ( the tip is broken so not big splint just a small one ,,, that I will prob get by the end of the week )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Depends on how well you can pull the brake levers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Depends on how well you can pull the brake levers!

I have very strong fingers!! and it's my left hand, I dont really need that one anyway ...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

Whats the point in asking? get on ur bike and see if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Depends if you're using Shimano or Campagnolo too :)

Morgan wrote: »
    Depends if you're using Shimano or Campagnolo too :)

I am just bored really ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Well go out, now, and try it:P, kill the boredom, and find out if it hurts:confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've cycled with a broken finger before. Busted it up last year and had to get surgery on it. After the cast came off, but while I still had pins in it, the doctor said it was OK to get back on the bike. I did one or two spins before the pins came out, but to be honest they weren't very comfortable. The road vibration was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Got any x-rays to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

el tonto wrote: »
    I've cycled with a broken finger before. Busted it up last year and had to get surgery on it. After the cast came off, but while I still had pins in it, the doctor said it was OK to get back on the bike. I did one or two spins before the pins came out, but to be honest they weren't very comfortable. The road vibration was a killer.

Yeah, bad bumps can be sore on a recent wound. It's frustrating, but generally best bet is to just let the thing heal up properly. You don't want do go for a cycle and make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sorry to hear you broke your thumb Caroline. Possibly best give it a go and see (presuming your doc reckons it's OK) but don't push it if it is painful. I have El Tonto's break to credit for my entry in the Wicklow 200 last year (thanks again for that!)

Maybe work on your skid stops? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i broke my little finger (snapped by a brake lever) and a metal tensioner on it used to commute with it on ( had to cut the gloves) but doc reckoned i shouldnt but didnt have any other transport so did anyway i think his main problem was if i fell off i could have done some serious damage but didnt so ok i guess. mind you it was funny turning up at the hospital in full cycling kit (derby to nottingham) having been told not to cycle.
    bones knit pretty quickly drink lots of milk or eat calcium tablets i had to have it re set after a week and boy that hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Get well soon Caroline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Hope it's not too sore to cycle on, Caroline. Heal up quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

So heading to a gym and spinning away wouldn't be any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I heard a yarn about a guy doing the Paris/Dakar on a motorbike who broke his wrist. He held a bar grip while the doctor set the bones in the cast so he could still hold the bars and finish the race! I reckon he must have been a relation of Blorgs:D

'68 wrote:
    I heard a yarn about a guy doing the Paris/Dakar on a motorbike who broke his wrist. He held a bar grip while the doctor set the bones in the cast so he could still hold the bars and finish the race! I reckon he must have been a relation of Blorgs:D

I heard that too.... think I read it in Charlie Boorman's book, come to think of it... Don't forget Tyler Hamilton did the Tour with a broken collarbone on the first week -ground all his teeth down to the nerve, but get going... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MotoGP riders often race with fractures.

Jorge Lorenzo has spent most of this year breaking bones (feet, ankles, and legs).

Don't think it's worth it unless you are competing though.

(Get well soon)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Don't forget Tyler Hamilton did the Tour with a broken collarbone on the first week -ground all his teeth down to the nerve, but get going... :)

He also rode the Giro with a fractured shoulder. It was kind of his thing for a while. Before the blood doping became his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

i broke my right thumb after coming out the worse in a fight with a bus a year ago. i'd recommend leaving it alone until its healed up a bit. i also found cycling in the cold very painful on the joint, so wrap up well.

He also rode the Giro with a fractured shoulder. It was kind of his thing for a while. Before the blood doping became his thing.

Blood doping does hurt a little less :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

'68 wrote:

Barry Sheene did it years ago as well ... Closer to home, I dislocated fingers from a toss off a mountain bike, semi relocated them and rode home... And a mate of mine got a toss of a moto cross bike, fractured t1 and t2, rode the bike back to the car, loaded it up, drove to the chipper, dropped the bikes off at home, then drove to A&E, walked in, they kept him in traction for a few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I broke my foot in July, just before my hols. Wasn't in a cast, just a rigid shoe type thing. I was told to stay off the bike for a few weeks but as soon as I got back from my hols I went for a spin. My cycling shoes were a better fit and more rigid that the theraputic shoe thing. I guess the danger is if you take another spill before it heals. If you think you'll be ok though, go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Hope it gets better soon too Caroline! (and doesn't hurt too much)

My hubby severed a nerve and tendon in his thumb two years ago and was very sad when he couldn't manage to ride...he was looking to change his MTB shifter from a rapid fire thumb/finger shift to a twist grip, (SRAM) and was a new man the day he discovered he could still move it and ride again!!

He also had acupuncture post op to ease the fluid congestion in the area and was told it would prevent arthritis in the area when he was older. Recommend it. Physio is good too! Cheers

Well ... I cycled to the outpatient department this morning .. making a point to myself, that life with a broken thumb was still cycleable ... even if it will hurt for a while ...

It's ok ... hurts on the road irregularities without the splint, and hurts much much less with the splint on. It ok as I can brake with my right hand where my break is on the fixie. Not sure about cycling up in the wicklow just yet though, so tomorrow, my weekend spins will involve little hills :mad:

This is such a USELESS INJURY!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you still work your bell? :) Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

On yer bike Caroline as increased blood flow to the bone will speed up the healing process. So find some flat smooth roads (a week up and down the Gironde Estuary would be ideal!;)) and forget the pain. Speedy recovery

I did go for the Boards Sat spin and I was surprisingly doing great! I had to be careful on the descents, as the speed + uneven surfaces did hurt ... ouch!

I am going to train this week on the fixie doing D15 loops everyday to get that blood flowing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

thought it was the blood doping that got him over the line in the tour.:eek:

Advertisement