Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B-Grade Maplin Minibook - £125/€160

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

cheers op!!! posting from one now!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

cheers op!!! posting from one now!!! :D
    You bought one? Pros / cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Meh.. not bad but prefer an Advent 4211.

It's a bit lacking really.. solid state drive is the best thing about it but only 2GB, 128MB DDR RAM (:eek:), not a great resolution, in-ability to remove OS. Still, it's nice and light and will do the job nicely for the price!

Random wrote: »
    You bought one? Pros / cons?

Yes bought one from the OP's posted link above, A nice little machine, about the same size as an A5 sheet of paper! It was packed perfectly, even still has the plastic protective packaging on the outside of the lid!

This is my first venture into the world of netbooks & Linux OS's so still finding my feet with it...but all good so far....bar trying to find / load an equivilent / suitable version of Adobe shockwave flash (for my Facebook poker addiction :D )... any pointers there would be welcome cheers!!

Maplin were a bit slow in shipping but that was mainly down to it being my first transaction with them....You will have difficulties in getting any item shipped to any address that differs from your billing address on your credit card on your first order etc...
    basquille wrote: »
    Meh.. not bad but prefer an Advent 4211.

It's a bit lacking really.. solid state drive is the best thing about it but only 2GB, 128MB DDR RAM (:eek:), not a great resolution, in-ability to remove OS. Still, it's nice and light and will do the job nicely for the price!

Lacking.... I would say more basic then lacking :D but that's a good thing for me since as said above this is my first introduction to both netbooks & a Linux OS!!

I have to agree with your comment about the screen, my eyes are a little strained & the only other con I can think of at the moment is that the first charge for the battery will take a min of 6 hours to complete.... If I can think of anymore as I use it, I'll let you know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm considering something like this soon but find myself leaning toward the Dell Mini 9s with XP on them ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lacking.... I would say more basic then lacking :D but that's a good thing for me since as said above this is my first introduction to both netbooks & a Linux OS!!
    Ha.. don't get me wrong. It looks like a lovely tidy laptop. Just too basic for my needs.
    the only other con I can think of at the moment is that the first charge for the battery will take a min of 6 hours to complete.... If I can think of anymore as I use it, I'll let you know. :)
    How is the battery? Doesn't say whether it's 6 cell or 3 cell? Presume it's the latter.

I'd imagine the 32bit CPU speed means it's quite slow to startup.

basquille wrote: »
    Ha.. don't get me wrong. It looks like a lovely tidy laptop. Just too basic for my needs.

How is the battery? Doesn't say whether it's 6 cell or 3 cell? Presume it's the latter.

I'd imagine the 32bit CPU speed means it's quite slow to startup.

No worries! :D

The battery is behind a plastic cover on the underneath of the machine, 2 screw hold the cover in place, its a "non descript" log battery pack with 2 wires leading to a clip to the mother board.. it doesn't mention cells but its a 2100mAh 7.4V...

Start up is not bad... 40 seconds.... quicker then my XP P4 laptop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭podge3

I agree with most of what nowuckenfurries says.

Its a nice small compact lightweight device. It looks well and feels well made IMHO. The keys have a nice solid action. The only complaint I have about it physically is that the touchpad buttons are a bit clunky. I quite like the screen layout and don't really find the brightness a problem. I updated the kernel to 2.6 and added a few other patches also.

This device is obviously quite limited in what it can do. It comes with a full Office suite but in reality you would only ever use this PC for the most rudimentary of Office tasks. I upgraded (or downgraded depending on how you look at it :)) from a Nokia N770 so a large screen with a proper keyboard is fantastic. There seems to be a good few patches/mods/games about so I must load up on these.

One thing has me puzzled, though. Its supposed to have 2 Gb of storage. Yet in file manager, it says the total space is 1014 Mb :confused:

Oh yes, one last thing - anyone know if you can you explore a windows network with this device?. I'd like to access my network drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

podge3 wrote: »

Oh yes, one last thing - anyone know if you can you explore a windows network with this device?. I'd like to access my network drive.

Tutorial to do that and some more on a similar notebook - maybe will be similar for this one??

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/17/netbook_linux_guide_1/

amazing how much someone starting needs to know to do simple things with linux....

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

whats the word processor with it like? i could definitely do with something small, light and cheap with a semi decent battery and passable word processor for writing on the move

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    whats the word processor with it like? i could definitely do with something small, light and cheap with a semi decent battery and passable word processor for writing on the move
    Basic but functional. It is reported that the buffer gets full if you are a fast typist. Hasn't happened to me with my 2 fingered typing, however :).

BTW, no B-grades at the moment but the price has been reduced to £139. Use a voucher and the postage works out at only a few pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Use a voucher and the postage works out at only a few pounds.
    Do you know where you can get vouchers?

I signed up for their newsletter so I get them emailed to me.

You get £3 off a £50 spend, £7 off a £100 spend etc.

I dunno if these vouchers will work but have a look at this: http://www.vouchercodes.com/vouchers/maplin.htm

Maplin have a rather annoying habit of applying VAT @ 21% for their Irish web customers rather than the UKs 17.5% :(. I wonder do they send on the extra to Brian Lenehan.

The Minibook cost me a grand total of £125.31 inclusive of shipping, voucher and extra VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If they are charging 21% then that means they are regged for VAT here and are passing on the dosh to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If they are charging 21% then that means they are regged for VAT here and are passing on the dosh to the government.

Makes sense, considering they have quite a few stores in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Pity you cant watch DVDs on it. That would be the killer feature for me.
    Anyone know if an external drive can be added to it?
    (not as slick I know but may be worth considering)

rinnin wrote: »
    The minibook can only address 4 Gb max, although someone said that a partitioned drive may work also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

rinnin wrote: »
    Pity you cant watch DVDs on it. That would be the killer feature for me.
    (not as slick I know but may be worth considering)

I think you need to look up the definition of 'netbook'.

The whole point of them is that they are low power, cut-down laptops that you can take on the road with you. Also - the screen on that Maplin netbook is crap, I wouldn't like to watch a DVD on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

podge3 wrote: »
    Maplin have a rather annoying habit of applying VAT @ 21% for their Irish web customers rather than the UKs 17.5% :(. I wonder do they send on the extra to Brian Lenehan.

They just following the law, since there are VAT registered in Ireland, they must apply Irish VAT.

Any company which trades over a certain threshold must register for VAT, so if a UK/FR/DE/IT etc company does the required level on busines in ireland, they must pay the VAT here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ended up going for something a bit higher specced with a better battery life than this one in the end, still a great price for this tho

• Advertisement

There is no tech thread for this info so I'm posting here.....

There are now several updates available on the CNM website for the Minibook: http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/

There is also a new linux distro (although in alpha form as yet) available: http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/software/Xenium.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I have finally convinced my son that a netbook is the way to go! (I said he can still use my laptop for WOW). The one on this thread seems ideal. Would I do any better than this for less than €200?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

I wouldn't say so less than €200 but I'm going for an Acer One myself. They start from €269 for

Acer One A110 Aw Atom N270 1.6GHz 8.9" 512MB 8GB NAND HDD Wifi Linux Blue

can be found on any of the online stores for that price but have heard that Harvey Norman are selling them for €269 also so you can buy one off the shelf if you wish.

Fair bit of extra spec on it and a nice screen. Depends on what you want though if you really want to keep costs low.

more spec http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=356713

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

cargo wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so less than €200 but I'm going for an Acer One myself. They start from €269 for

Acer One A110 Aw Atom N270 1.6GHz 8.9" 512MB 8GB NAND HDD Wifi Linux Blue

can be found on any of the online stores for that price but have heard that Harvey Norman are selling them for €269 also so you can buy one off the shelf if you wish.

Fair bit of extra spec on it and a nice screen. Depends on what you want though if you really want to keep costs low.

more spec http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=356713

Hi Thanks for the information. I actually ordered 2 of the Acer One. (one for each of the bigger lads). I ordered from laptops.ie(the negative feedback from here didn't scare me). I ordered this one, has a 120gb Hard Drive as opposed to 8gb for the A110.
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ACER_ASIRE_ONE_A150L_-_512MB_-_80GB_-_Blue_LU.S050A.105/version.asp
    In total it came to approx 535euro for the 2. Dead happy now that I've Santy finished (except for "the suprise")(and next months children's allowance will cover the visa bill)
    Cheers mate!

Advertisement