Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering PhD - research/structured, finances

Options
  • 14-10-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi Postgrads,

I am considering returning to do a PhD (or the Dip) but the PhD has always interested me since I finshed my MA (6yrs ago - wow time flies!) as I would love a chance to get into academic life/lecturing.

The first thing I want to ask people out there doing PhDs in the Humanities, why did you return? Outside of academic life where do you hope the PhD could take you or where could it find you work.

Also what do people think of the research based over structured PhD argument? Part of me would rather the structured but the Uni and supervisor I prefer are in the research based option.

It is within the Political Science field that I would be working on - from what I can gather funding is a nightmare, all I could count on is County Council grant to pay fees and basic stipend. I know this is not to be laughed at however I am wondering - current PhD students - how do you find life financially? I was told I could probably do tutorials etc. Do most of you work a part-time job outside?
    I was told that scholarships are eye of a needle chance for most, anyone care to comment on that (that came from the potential supervisor)

It would really be a big step to go back and do this so hopefully you can pass on some good advice :)

Look forward to reading all & any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SD1979

snip

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Please don't bump threads. Next time you do that I will ban you - it's not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

how do you find life financially
    Financially it was pretty depressing and I was getting full funding of 20K a year. If I was getting any less I wouldn't have done it. Or if I was over 25 doing it.
    I have no idea how arts people actually do a phd. You really, really have to be into your work. The reward at the end is pretty mediocre as well.

Another thing is you might be able to bear a year of poverty but you have no idea how you will feel after year 3 or 4. When all your peers are moving on with their lives, making money etc. thats when it will start to hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Seriously? I'd be over the moon if I was getting 20k, you must have forgotten your undergrad/masters days pretty quickly CE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Seriously? I'd be over the moon if I was getting 20k, you must have forgotten your undergrad/masters days pretty quickly CE!
    Well the first year it was about 15k with a few perks. That feeling of being rich lasts about 4 months when you realise what a decent lifestyle costs and. And when college mates are in London pulling 50K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭COH

I'm doing a phd in arts, I'm not funded whatsoever, and I love it!

To say that you end up with a mediocre reward at the end seems a bit strange to me. Then again I don't see life as a competition in earning power with my friends :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Structured PhDs are new in Ireland this year I think so you won't find too many Irish people to advise you on them. They've been in other countries for a while as far as I know though so they shouldn't be too experimental, so I wouldn't be put off by the newness. I think they're more structured to ensure the student develops certain skills while they do it, at the cost of flexibility probably.

Advertisement