Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your petrol

Options
  • 14-10-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

The cost of petrol will go up by 8c on the litre at midnight due to an increase in excise duty in the budget. So whilst your local price might not seem like a bargain, it will in the morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Shh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I drive a diesel but you make this offer sound so good I don't think i can pass it up! Bargain Alert!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Better stock up on ciggies and bottles of vino while you're at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

i blame everyone that voted them back into power

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Kristok wrote: »

and the ones too lazy to get up off their arses to vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i already spoted increase on few filling station 3cent (apple green in inchicore) it was 115 in morning but in evening it is 118

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

whats the story with diesel ? is it being hit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just got €45 worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

KStaford wrote: »

Nope.

I had foresight and filled my tank this morning at 117.9 p/l. It wasn't busy at all then but here were huge queues there earlier this evening though. Can't abide huge queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just spent €200 on petrol and cigs (enough cigs to last me until my next trip abroad when I'll stock up properly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

its only going back up to what it was last week...well at least thats the story here in the midlands.....putting 8c on it, just brings it to the same price it was on saturday here! though still not happy with the increase...:mad:

KStaford wrote: »
    As far as i know diesel ain't been hit...!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Hmm, no wonder there were queues earlier. I just thought it was because it was 112.9c...

*gets keys*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

it was 112.9c
    :eek:

Where exactly did you get it for that price?

Hmm, no wonder there were queues earlier. I just thought it was because it was 112.9c...

*gets keys*

oh hell...where on earth is it that price..>! let me know, im gonna go there now...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

It's a bit of a joke. Queue for 15 mins to save what, €2 or so on petrol. You've probably wasted half that by sitting in the queue. And you'll have more weight in your car with a full tank, thus burning that bit more into these 'savings'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

okidoki987 wrote: »
    :eek:

Where exactly did you get it for that price?
    offaly1 wrote: »
    oh hell...where on earth is it that price..>! let me know, im gonna go there now...:D:D
    Texaco, opposite the Coolquay Lodge. On the old N2 (now R135) between Ashbourne and Finglas.

The queue wasn't as bad as earlier. Plus, I actually needed petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

The price of a barrel is down at the moment. Added to this 8c increase, when the oil itself shoots back up (no doubt it will) we'll have record prices. Yay. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kristok wrote: »

Holy ****. FF brought down the world economy? Does that make us the most powerful country in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

:mad:Also it's 8c ex vat , so it'll be more like 10c increase!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I topped up there a while ago. It was madness at the petrol station but I needed it anyway. Petrol station beside Rathfarnham Village was 115.9 at 3pm and then by 7.30 it was up to 120.9. It was sold out by 10.30 so tomorrow when they get some in it will be 128.9 for petrol there. Crazy!

Im happy with the cigarette increase though and wished it went up by twice what it has that like it was expected to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im happy with the cigarette increase though and wished it went up by twice what it has that like it was expected to.

why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

redman wrote: »
    :mad:Also it's 8c ex vat , so it'll be more like 10c increase!!

The 8 cent is inclusive of VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Since smokers giving themselves health problems costs the state millions every year and so by increasing the tax in cigarettes it helps to balance it.

Secondly it will discourage people from smoking hopefully.

I know it is a bit brash on my part for saying it and I know there are a lot of people who may be offeneded by it but that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Here is how it pans out

Tobacco Excise
    The Excise Duty on a packet of 20 cigarettes is being increased by 50 cent (including VAT) with a pro-rata increase on other tobacco products, with effect from midnight on 14 October 2008.

This measure is estimated to yield €16 million in 2008 and €105 million in 2009.

Now back on topic, Redman the increase includes VAT.

Increase in Mineral Oil Tax on Petrol

The mineral oil tax on petrol will be increased by 8 cent per litre (including VAT) with effect from midnight on 14 October 2008.
    This measure is estimated to yield €22 million in 2008, and €166 million in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Statoil on the Hartstown Road in blanch was atill at 119c this morning at 8am, same as it was yesterday..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Aha , yet I see some have uppd prices by circa 9/10c anyhow, crazy when price for oil has droppped so much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

113.9 in the Texaco in Crumlin last night and this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Energizeer wrote: »
    It's a bit of a joke. Queue for 15 mins to save what, €2 or so on petrol. You've probably wasted half that by sitting in the queue. And you'll have more weight in your car with a full tank, thus burning that bit more into these 'savings'.

These are exactly my thoughts on the matter: why bother for the sake of a few quid. Sure in the long run buying many tanks of petrol over many weeks, it makes sense to go with a cheaper garage. But for a once off saving of €2, get over it. I'll probably find that much down the back of my couch and then we'll be even

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What is the rate of duty on petrol, over 50%?
    What on earth are they thinking putting an extra 8c on a litre, knowing the price of oil is likely to shoot up soon!

Is diesel not affected by the 8c levy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

mainly because they need the cash. And you're a motorist - so you have no problems paying for it. Note the careful irony.

Advertisement