Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single to multigear

Options
  • 14-10-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

I was googlin around under "convert singlespeed" and you get a huge number of sites about converting a multispeed to a single speed. But if you want to do the opposite, there seems to be very little( hidden in all the noise anyhow).

So I was thinking of changing a single to multispeed: i.e. buying the groupset, and what not.

If I recall, on these forums there was a guy who did it on a Fuji track. Cant find it quite yet.

Any relevant links welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hub gears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Possible problems

- no cable routing
    - incorrect rear spacing
    - no rear brake holes

That's all I can think of. If your frame is a pure track frame, you might be better off buying a new one, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

On a slightly more serious note, given the popularity of fixies you might very well be better off selling it and buying a geared bike with the proceeds. It almost seems you pay a premium for the lack of gears.

Hub gears might be an option but you may still lack the right cable-stops on the frame- I am not sure about this. Hub gears also tend to be quite expensive.

As for a derailleur, you are missing the hanger at the back and the rear spacing is probably 120mm rather than the 130mm on a road bike.

Overall though it sounds very wrong and a path towards financial ruin and disaster, I could see you spending a lot of money on it for a result that didn't really work very well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If it's a track frame then I wouldn't bother for the reasons outlined above. If it's originally a road frame, then yes, should be easy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    On a slightly more serious note, given the popularity of fixies you might very well be better off selling it and buying a geared bike with the proceeds. It almost seems you pay a premium for the lack of gears.

Yes, the Pistadex is still on the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    Hub gears might be an option but you may still lack the right cable-stops on the frame- I am not sure about this.

Clamp-on cable stops are cheap.

Shimano geared hubs are not shockingly expensive, and remove need for a rear brake, dérailleur, second chainring etc.

They do ones for 120mm spacing too.

I think it's an interesting idea, in theory. I'm not sure I'd do it with my own money though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

Got it (message).

Thanks one and all!

Advertisement