Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill

Options
  • 14-10-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am a cycling noob. Considering cycling out to Howth and up the Hill and back some time soon.

How does Howth Hill rate for beginners? Is it tough? Is there an easy face and a tough face for climbing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's relatively easy. The south side is the easiest. It's a longer climb, but a lower gradient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The sutton side is a more gentle climb. The howth village approach is steeper but shorter. The first time I done it I approached from the steeper side (didn't know any better at the time) but I managed to climb it (on a mountain bike and a bag on my back)and I'm nothing more than a commuter with the odd longer spin every now and again so I wouldn't be a "proper" fit cyclist. That first time on the mtb was tough and I did stop a bit the first few times near the top but it's not really that difficult for anyone of reasonable fitness levels on a road bike. I smoke 20 a day and can do it no bother now. I wouldn't be put off if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's all relative, it would be a good one to get started on if it is near to you. There are a fair range of gradients on it which would make it good for training. Raam started off on it I believe and that guy can certainly climb a hill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

There's a few different routes up it as well..... I use it on my morning commute about twice a week and after 5 / 10 times up there your can go to wicklow and get through the climbs..... If you want to get better at climbing the only way is really to climb hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's nice as well because there are a few different appraoches to the summit, you can go up and down a few times without getting too bored.

• Advertisement

Oh yes.... i alsoread Paul Kimmage and Martin Earley used to train up it when they were amatuers..... three times round if I can remember correctly

Oh and the downhill is fun

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

It’s a good test to see how you're progressing. Going up from the village is much tougher it’s about 2km with some pretty steep parts, although it does level out near the top. If you haven't been up it before you'll probably find it tough but once you've done it a few times it'll get more manageable. I'd personally recommend that you start out at a sustainable pace to limit your suffering the first few times I went up this side my pulse was over 190bpm after about 500m and I still had 1.5km to go!

The side from Sutton is much easier although significantly longer it has some downhill sections which break it up and make it more manageable. One good thing about the hill is that it has pretty much excellent road surfaces which make things easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like a nice test alright. I'll give it a go next time i'm out that way for a spin.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

It's true that the hill itself is fine from both approaches, but the road surface in Howth village itself is a total disaster.
    Liamo08 wrote: »
    One good thing about the hill is that it has pretty much excellent road surfaces which make things easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's true that the hill itself is fine from both approaches, but the road surface in Howth village itself is a total disaster.

Yes, avoid at all costs. Going home back over the hill will make you fitter anyway :)

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Yes, avoid at all costs. Going home back over the hill will make you fitter anyway :)

The road isn't actually that bad. Is only a few hundred metres of bad roads.

I just found another route up Howth... which is pretty tough for a small section. Up from the Harbour Side and go right at the church then stay on the roads all the way till the summit.... not much traffic. Almost surreal in the dark and wet weather tonight.

Going down was awful though in that weather. Any one got any tips for wet weather stopping?

The road isn't actually that bad. Is only a few hundred metres of bad roads.

I just found another route up Howth... which is pretty tough for a small section. Up from the Harbour Side and go left at the church then stay on the roads all the way till the summit.... not much traffic. Almost surreal in the dark and wet weather tonight.

Going down was awful though in that weather. Any one got any tips for wet weather stopping?

Brake earlier. Feather the brakes on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If you're feelin good, head up Howth from the harbour and turn RIGHT at the church..that'll really test your legs :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If you're feelin good, head up Howth from the harbour and turn RIGHT at the church..that'll really test your legs :)

+1. That's a nice one alright.

And don't forget to take the right hand turn up Windgate Road a little further up the road past that steep bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Is that the road that leads up to the "real Howth Summit"? yeah thats a killer! I used to always climb Howth from Sutton, but the descent into Howth Village is ruined now with the set of traffic lights just before the church! Their right on a bend ... a right pain!

Is that the road that leads up to the "real Howth Summit"? yeah thats a killer! I used to always climb Howth from Sutton, but the descent into Howth Village is ruined now with the set of traffic lights just before the church! Their right on a bend ... a right pain!

Aye, those lights have put paid to a few descents. Mostly I find they are green though.

Advertisement