Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain Gear

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I want if possible to continue cycling throughout the winter. The rain gear I have is dirt cheap and it ends up as wet on the inside as the outside from sweat. I also get very hot as the fabric is not breathable.

Can anyone recommend good breathable rain gear. I have read that clothing made from bamboo is ideal for cycling but have not been able to find rain gear of this type.

Thanks..

Canacourse...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Canacourse wrote: »
    bamboo

Bamboo..... ???????????

If money doesn't matter GoreTex PacLite..... These guys are fast.... I ordered shorts Thursday arrived monday 7am :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

have a look on Wiggle

I have the Altura Night Vision Waterproof Jacket for commuting on a 8km cycle to the train station, I have found it excellent and have had no problems with, but there has been reports that the zips break easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

I have the night vision also. I found that its not that breathable. I wear just a jersey under it and im sweating at the end of my 10k commute

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Canacourse

Bamboo..... ???????????

I meant Bamboo Fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Just to mention....
    When it is raining heavily, you are effectively covered in a thin layer of water. It doesn't matter how 'Breathable' your jacket is, the sweat you are generating is not going to break out through your jacket and that layer of water.
    Slow down and stop sweating, or take your jacket off and enjoy the rain and have a shower when you get home....
    you need one anyway given that you are sweating so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Having commuted pretty much daily for 17 years I've concluded that the old ways are best: a good poncho or raincape like those sold by Carradice is 100% rainproof and since it's entirely open underneath, breathability is not an issue. (It only works if you have mudguards on your bike though: otherwise you get wet from the spray below.)

Check out:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/rainwear/duxback-rainwear.shtml

I've had my poncho for about a decade. Carradice also sell a wax which restores the waterproofing which tends to wear off after three or four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I want if possible to continue cycling throughout the winter. The rain gear I have is dirt cheap and it ends up as wet on the inside as the outside from sweat. I also get very hot as the fabric is not breathable.

Can anyone recommend good breathable rain gear. I have read that clothing made from bamboo is ideal for cycling but have not been able to find rain gear of this type.

Thanks..

Canacourse...

What type of riding do you do? The answer will have a large amount of bearing on the responses that you get.

I.e. is it commuting only, or short leisure spins, or long distance spins around the countryside?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Canacourse

Commuting and Leisure..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Commuting and Leisure..

The main thing is to stay warm. If you are on the bike and you want to stay dry, then indoors is where you should be ;)
    For short spins, getting wet isn't too bad as you won't be far from home.
    For long distance spins I have an Altura jacket which is quite heavy duty. It isn't great quality but is useful in very cold weather with a thermal fleece lined jersey.
    Another long distance jacket I have is by Campagnolo (raytech), it is not as heavy, but it has served me well. Both those jackets offer some kind of windproof.
    For commuting, I use a Montane jacket. It has no windproofing worth talking about and will only work for a short shower, so I wouldn't use it on long spins. That said, Blorg does, but he doesn't feel cold like I do.
    For your shoes, get overshoes. Neoprene ones help keep your toes toasty.

Edit: I'd love one of those Gortex linked earlier, but by god they are pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have a Montane Featherlite H2O jacket which is tiny, straps onto the bike and is light enough that it remains fairly breathable.

The Altura Night Vision is a very decent visible jacket but breathable it is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I used to work in an outdoor shop in town and as a result I own alot of jackets made from various water proof/breathable membranes. The most breathable I've used so far is made from eVENT not Gore-Tex, although as scottreynolds says paclite is good. Theres not many companies using eVENT because its pretty expensive and I'd question the durability of paclite.
    However, there is alot of care involved in maintaining a breathable jacket, separate washing and drying instructions to follow and special detergents and re-waterproofing agents. I have to say, even with the most expensive top of the range gear, on the bike I still sweat like Garry Glitter in an airport. A change of clothes is often the most comfortable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Surely you mean Gary Glitter at Funderland...?
    '68 wrote:
    I have to say, even with the most expensive top of the range gear, on the bike I still sweat like Garry Glitter in an airport. A change of clothes is often the most comfortable solution.

Advertisement