Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map My Ride Membership

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here got a Premium Membership on Map My Ride?

It seems like it's worth doing as it only works out at $48 or is it a gimmick?

Do you find it beneficial?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've given up on Mapmyride. I used to use Routeslip, which was bought out by Mapmyride. I've never been particuarly happy with it since that change. Interface is extremly cluttered, so much so its hard to see much of the map onscreen and it's very slow.

I now use Bikeroutetoaster, which is simple, clean, fast and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jollylee

Haha snap!

I use this free mapping site: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx

Its very informative and efficient once you used to it. I also use it to save my routes as .gpx files to send to friends and to compare routes. It gives a lot of info regarding elevation changes etc. Also gives que sheets with directions and gives estimated journey times with speeds you set yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin in the future.
    Can routes be downloaded from that site?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a Garmin in the future.
    Can routes be downloaded from that site?

From the front page:
    BikeRouteToaster.com is a course creation application primarily aimed at Garmin Edge/Forerunner owners although other users without a GPS may also find it useful for planning rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Thanks for that.

I'm having trouble getting on to the site at the moment.

Will give it a go later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Google maps works well for Garmin course creation, I've found.

See gmap2tcx

I looked briefly at the toaster yoke, but the mapping seemed a bit limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    Google maps works well for Garmin course creation, I've found.

See gmap2tcx

I looked briefly at the toaster yoke, but the mapping seemed a bit limited.

It looks quite primitive, but it is very useful. It adds in "left/right turn here" notifications. This is handy if you are using a Forerunner.

The way I imagine building a course is:

- Type in destinations (e.g. Enniskerry, Sally Gap, Knockraheen, Enniskerry)
    - Drag route around.
    - Download to Garmin.

This is how Google maps works.

I don't understand bikeroutetoaster. I can't see where to type in addresses. Do I have to actually find stuff on the map by scrolling around and zooming in?

Am I missing something?

The way I imagine building a course is:

- Type in destinations (e.g. Enniskerry, Sally Gap, Knockraheen, Enniskerry)
    - Drag route around.
    - Download to Garmin.

This is how Google maps works.

I don't understand bikeroutetoaster. I can't see where to type in addresses. Do I have to actually find stuff on the map by scrolling around and zooming in?

Am I missing something?

Just draw it. Tis simple.

Raam wrote: »
    Just draw it. Tis simple.

OK, I'm not missing anything then. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Jsut tried BikeRouteToaster. That website is what MMR was trying to be for a long time. The autorouting works very well. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

BikeRouteToaster does work OK but the Google mapping it uses is a bit off reality in places which can see you going off course sometimes. I now use MapSource which is perfect, costs money though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

I went for a ride in Wicklow this weekend. I used Bikeroutetoaster to map the ride and I got 1700mts of climb.

Once I came back, I loaded the data from my forerunner 205 to motionbased and without any correction, it gave me 3500 mts climb .. this I assume is garmin metres and completely wrong.

After I applied MB correction, it gave me 2200mts.

I uploaded the same data from the garmin into Sporttracks and that gives me 1800mts climb.

Finally, I mapped the exact same route on mapmyride and that shows only 1000 mts of climb.

Have any of you noticed this difference .... and which one do you trust ...

I went for a ride in Wicklow this weekend. I used Bikeroutetoaster to map the ride and I got 1700mts of climb.

Once I came back, I loaded the data from my forerunner 205 to motionbased and without any correction, it gave me 3500 mts climb .. this I assume is garmin metres and completely wrong.

After I applied MB correction, it gave me 2200mts.

I uploaded the same data from the garmin into Sporttracks and that gives me 1800mts climb.

Finally, I mapped the exact same route on mapmyride and that shows only 1000 mts of climb.

Have any of you noticed this difference .... and which one do you trust ...

Some may be due to errors, however...
    You can configure what type of grade is actually considered a climb. I.e. the garmin may report every bit of gain as a climb, when in reality it's ever so slightly uphill.

Some may be due to errors, however...
    You can configure what type of grade is actually considered a climb. I.e. the garmin may report every bit of gain as a climb, when in reality it's ever so slightly uphill.

Can I configure on the forerunner 205 ... how do I do it? Or is it on any of the websites ... again which one allows for it.

Can I configure on the forerunner 205 ... how do I do it? Or is it on any of the websites ... again which one allows for it.

Sporttracks lets you do it on the data that you retrieve from the garmin.
    It's under settings, somewhere.

Sporttracks lets you do it on the data that you retrieve from the garmin.
    It's under settings, somewhere.

Thanking you ... got it under settings .. its called elevation smoothing ... can get the elevation of the same ride anywhere from 2500mts to under 900 by playing with the scale ... finally left it at around 40 .. as at that value it matched the elevation from bikeroutetoaster ... looks like I have some reading to do to figure out a good value for that parameter

Thanking you ... got it under settings .. its called elevation smoothing ... can get the elevation of the same ride anywhere from 2500mts to under 900 by playing with the scale ... finally left it at around 40 .. as at that value it matched the elevation from bikeroutetoaster ... looks like I have some reading to do to figure out a good value for that parameter

The good news is that it doesn't change what you actually did on the bike ;)
    I wouldn't worry to much about it.

looks like I have some reading to do to figure out a good value for that parameter

Surely you just pick the value that results in the most impressive number?

Or have I misunderstood the point of bike computers...

The good news is that it doesn't change what you actually did on the bike ;)
    I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Very true ... in either case I was dead when I got home ... :o
    Surely you just pick the value that results in the most impressive number?

Or have I misunderstood the point of bike computers...

I like the way you think ... :D ... but I am a bit anal on having the numbers right ... not that I use them much once I know they are right .. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Very true ... in either case I was dead when I got home ... :o

I like the way you think ... :D ... but I am a bit anal on having the numbers right ... not that I use them much once I know they are right .. :rolleyes:

It depends on what you class as "right". One persons "epic climb" is another persons "slight bump on the road". Slight exageration, but I hope it makes the point.

Advertisement