Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SeatPost Problem

Options
  • 14-10-2008 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

A couple of weeks ago my saddle and seatpost was robbed from Coolmine Train station. :mad: My bike is a Raleigh mountain bike. Nothing special, just a regular mountain bike that would be used more for leisure cycles than mountain biking. So last week i brought my bike over to Halfords in Blanchardstown and they didn't have a seat post to fit it. The best they could tell me was that the post I needed was between a 25.4mm and a 27.0mm. Ok so off I went to Wiggle and ChainReaction websites and purchased a 26.4mm seat post which I thought should be perfect.....Turns out its too big :(

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? The advice in Halfords was to being the bike into Dublin City centre and try a bike shop in there !!

Are Raleigh bikes just awkward sizes ??

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's probably a 25.4mm seatpost you need, which I believe is most commonly used in BMX bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

Halfords had a 25.4 and it was too small. Even with the clamp closed, it would just slide up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can get a shim to put a smaller seatpost into a larger seat tube but obviously not the other way around. Of course you still need to know what size seatpost you need! Best way to go about this in the absence of the old seatpost is by using calipers - where you might get a lend of them though I am not so sure, maybe some bike shops would indeed have them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper#Vernier_caliper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    You can get a shim to put a smaller seatpost into a larger seat tube but obviously not the other way around. Of course you still need to know what size seatpost you need! Best way to go about this in the absence of the old seatpost is by using calipers - where you might get a lend of them though I am not so sure, maybe some bike shops would indeed have them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper#Vernier_caliper

I have a set you can borrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

If my post needs to be between 25.4 and 26.4, is there any use in something like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1092

And which one would I get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You could get a shim to fit a smaller seatpost into a larger tube but you will still need to find out how wide your tube is- in which case you may as well just buy the right diameter seatpost, if it is readily available.

Advertisement