Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History may repeat itself

Options
  • 14-10-2008 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Correct me if im wrong but I think that history may repeat itself.
    In the late 1920's and early 1930's the worlds economy was in a very bad state .Banks were closing down and business were going bankrupt.The world looked to strong leaders to recover the economy and to restore economic stability.Many nations in Europe looked to extreme right wing parties to solve the problem and in most cases their economies were restored .

At the moment the worlds economy is in bits .Banks and business are closing down .Could this be a flash from the past .Is this a warning to what might happen ?All it would take is for a leader to emerge that is very charasmatic and idealistic and the world will accept their views.He/She will suggest that they have the solution to the economic crisis and sure enough people will follow their beliefs.

The worlds economy hasnt been this bad since the Great Depression and it is my belief that a leader is sure to emerge , strong enough and powerfull enough to get the support for the people and we may have a number of western nations turning to exterme nationalist leaders to solve the problem of unemployment and economic crisis

Criticism of this idea is welcomed by me but this all seems to familliar to me.

Thank you
    Jake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

My main criticism would be that of all the lessons from history, that one was learned pretty well.

Beyond that, a "collapse" of an economic system now is nowhere near as serious as it was then. People starved post-1929. Poverty on that scale will almost certainly not happen. People will put their new iPods in the Buy & Sell, but that's not the same story.

Thankfully, economists know an awful lot more about inflation than the did. Weimarian inflation will not happen.

Germany was an infant state at the time and not committed to democracy. Sure, you got China and Russia in similar positions today, but they've already got pretty crazy leadership.

Banks aren't closing down this time (at least not in the same way), there's intervention to prevent that.

Finally, and this isn't a criticism as such, but rather something I've noticed more generally. I think people take "learning from history's mistakes" a little too literally. No would-be despot is going to be stupid enough to write a book called "My Struggle" in the hope of repeating history. Rather the lesson to be learned in that regard is the impact of propaganda on influencing nations, in whatever form that may take. A financial crisis (and this isn't the only one that has happened in the past ninety years) is also probably too blunt. What's more subtle, and thus perhaps more dangerous, is the general diktat that people react dangerously to recessions. That kind of thing, imo, is learning from history, rather than "banks falling = world war".

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Thank you for your input.

I know that this depression is not on the same scale as the last one but i say give it time .After all the growth of facist regimes in europe did not happen over night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭SoCal90046

Thank you for your input.

I know that this depression is not on the same scale as the last one but i say give it time .After all the growth of facist regimes in europe did not happen over night :)

I don't see how you can call it a depression. There's no evidence to support that claim.

What is happening today resembles 1907 more than the 1930s. If you check out the Panic of 1907, you'll see more or a resemblance. Here's a link to a radio show that describes what occurred. The book that's discussed in the interview is worth reading too.

History repeats itself the way different episodes of a program like Seinfeld resemble one another: all the characters are familiar, the scenery looks identical, the structure's the same, but the overall plot differs each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

In the late 1920's and early 1930's the worlds economy was in a very bad state .Banks were closing down and business were going bankrupt.The world looked to strong leaders to recover the economy and to restore economic stability.Many nations in Europe looked to extreme right wing parties to solve the problem and in most cases their economies were restored .

At the moment the worlds economy is in bits .Banks and business are closing down .Could this be a flash from the past .Is this a warning to what might happen ?All it would take is for a leader to emerge that is very charasmatic and idealistic and the world will accept their views.He/She will suggest that they have the solution to the economic crisis and sure enough people will follow their beliefs.

The worlds economy hasnt been this bad since the Great Depression and it is my belief that a leader is sure to emerge , strong enough and powerfull enough to get the support for the people and we may have a number of western nations turning to exterme nationalist leaders to solve the problem of unemployment and economic crisis

Criticism of this idea is welcomed by me but this all seems to familliar to me.

Thank you
    Jake

Obama
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055398326

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

I am in no way a supporter of facism but i think that something drastic needs to be done about this states economy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

I am in no way a supporter of facism but i think that something drastic needs to be done about this states economy

Well due to the USA's policy of taking control of the world banking system fascism will enforced upon us here.

If my theory is correct you will see large USA owned companies either go out of business or be bought over by the US government. the very least you can expect is that many US businesses will leave Ireland and return to the Fuher.

Both republicans and democrats have the same exact policies so they have it all covered - britain is the same. They were very clever in how they took over the banking system of the world before people realised what was happening.

We were lucky we rejected Lisbon and lets hope to God that we can reject it again to protect our natural resources, the Catholic church and our neutrality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Gareth37 wrote: »
    to protect our natural resources, the Catholic church and our neutrality.

gawp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭SoCal90046

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Well due to the USA's policy of taking control of the world banking system fascism will enforced upon us here.

If my theory is correct you will see large USA owned companies either go out of business or be bought over by the US government. the very least you can expect is that many US businesses will leave Ireland and return to the Fuher.

Both republicans and democrats have the same exact policies so they have it all covered - britain is the same. They were very clever in how they took over the banking system of the world before people realised what was happening.

We were lucky we rejected Lisbon and lets hope to God that we can reject it again to protect our natural resources, the Catholic church and our neutrality.

You haven't presented a theory. You've just written a lot of disjointed statements that don't build a coherent argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

This is the weakest point of your argument imo, to assume that Mussolini of Hitler came to power solely on charisma is much too simplistic. In general though I would ask you, what about all the countries that didn't turn to extreme poles in the thirties, were they not affected by the depression? If so, why did they not go down the path of revolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Maybe you should look back at the panic of '73. This bears an uncanny resemblence to the present crash in that it involved over speculation on unwanted construction, unregulated banking, global consequences but no major political upheaval. We still have some of the controls in place to protect us against the consequences of a 1930's crash but nothing to protect us against a crash and deflation similar to 1873. Just an idea to throw out there ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

haha crazy we talked about all this in our history class cos we were doing like the interwar period in europe and how the economy contributed to fascism and stuffs...made me scared in business class that like sinn fein might become popular:eek:ewwwwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

aliqueenb wrote: »
    haha crazy we talked about all this in our history class cos we were doing like the interwar period in europe and how the economy contributed to fascism and stuffs...made me scared in business class that like sinn fein might become popular:eek:ewwwwwww

And thankfully because people have learned that particular lesson, it's highly unlikely to be repeated.

Really, come on guys. The world is hugely different to what it was in 1930. We need to look at the more subtle lessons from history if we want strong insights into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think ye need to remember also that historical events are not always connected in the way the op infers, but are a series of seperate incidents that become bound to a narrative. The extremism in Germany and Italy of the twenties and thirties has altogether far more to do with events and ideology of the nineteenth century than it does the depression of the twentieth. I don't fancy writing an essay right now but Italian unity and German romanticism are themes to consider.

Advertisement