Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use your drops?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how often people spend in their drops. I haven't been spending to much time in them as I find it uncomfortable. I do know that I can save quite a bit of energy by using them.. :-)... about 5-10% of energy expenditure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Spend most of the time either in the drops or on the hoods. Very little time spent on the flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

If there's a headwind or if I'm pushing hard then I'll be in the drops. Also, I'd pretty much always use them descending.

If they're uncomfortable to reach then you might need to take a look at your bike setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd use them pretty much like Morgan. "Default" position would be on the hoods, drops in a headwind, pushing hard on the flat, or descending. Flats for seated climbing, grabbing the underside of the hoods for standing climbing.

You might want to look at reducing your saddle-bar drop- you can easily measure this by making a mark with a pencil on a wall for the saddle, flipping the bike around and marking for the bars, then measure the difference. I think I am 6cm on my tourer and 8cm on my road bike; probably find the drops a bit more comfortable for long use on the tourer. Easiest way to reduce this drop (presuming your stem is currently pointing down) is to flip your stem up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Much the same here: descending, into headwind, taking a pull or just for going very fast.

If you're not comfortable in them, you're either not flexible enough or your bike isn't fitted right. Either way, you'll need to alter the setup. Presuming your saddle's at the right height, it will probably mean flipping your stem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

I'm just wondering how often people spend in their drops. I haven't been spending to much time in them as I find it uncomfortable. I do know that I can save quite a bit of energy by using them.. :-)... about 5-10% of energy expenditure.

if you find it uncomfortable you may need to work on lower back, glute and hamstring flexibility, should be a problem to sit on the drops for few hours, i presume when you race you use the drops?

I spend all my time there unless its a steady climb.Once you get used to it its fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Only use them descending myself

Unlike Mr Pantani who used them the whole time on the climbs - never understood how he was comfortable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

what's "on the hoods"? Like holding onto the brakehoods? That would be similar to using them as a flatbar bar-ends, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Only use them descending myself

Unlike Mr Pantani who used them the whole time on the climbs - never understood how he was comfortable...

Cos he was off his tits most of the time ???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

stabu wrote: »
    what's "on the hoods"? Like holding onto the brakehoods? That would be similar to using them as a flatbar bar-ends, yes?
    Yes, exactly, it is probably the single most popular/common position.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Noticed I use them more as fitness improves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Trojan wrote: »
    Noticed I use them more as fitness improves

Yeah same here.

Advertisement