Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandon Hill, Kilkenny

Options
  • 13-10-2008 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a short query from anyone familiar with Brandon Hill - the highest point in Kilkenny. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start an ascent from? Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I think you acces it off the road between graiguenamangh and inistioge (on the New Ross side of Graigue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Down South wrote: »
    I think you acces it off the road between graiguenamangh and inistioge (on the New Ross side of Graigue)

Thanks for that - have ordered the OS maps today so will take a look at that route. Has anyone hiked up - any indication of how long it took - trying to determine if I can work it into a trip down the country with work (via an early start)..

Cheers..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

here's a google map link http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=kilkenny&daddr=R703+to:R705+to:52.52899,-6.961083&hl=en&geocode=%3BFSj8IQMdj12V_w%3BFROCIQMdJOaV_w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=15&via=1,2&sll=52.524734,-6.964645&sspn=0.015301,0.033131&ie=UTF8&ll=52.615348,-7.200165&spn=0.122153,0.265045&t=h&z=12

Go up the small road where the road route ends, its a narrow road and the surface is poor so take your time, the road passes about 5metres away from somebodys house keep going pass this house and the dump entrance and go up as far as the woods and park at the junction in the woods.

Walk from here, you could drive or walk to this location if you didn't want to bring your car up the poor quality road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Cabaal wrote: »
    here's a google map link http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=kilkenny&daddr=R703+to:R705+to:52.52899,-6.961083&hl=en&geocode=%3BFSj8IQMdj12V_w%3BFROCIQMdJOaV_w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=15&via=1,2&sll=52.524734,-6.964645&sspn=0.015301,0.033131&ie=UTF8&ll=52.615348,-7.200165&spn=0.122153,0.265045&t=h&z=12

Go up the small road where the road route ends, its a narrow road and the surface is poor so take your time, the road passes about 5metres away from somebodys house keep going pass this house and the dump entrance and go up as far as the woods and park at the junction in the woods.

Walk from here, you could drive or walk to this location if you didn't want to bring your car up the poor quality road

cabaal,

thanks for that - perfect directions!!
    Do you know if it's much of a hike to the summit from where you park?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tadhg Darcy

Well lads,
    Ive heard bits and peices regarding off roading on Brandon hill. Just wondering if anyone who is familiar with this area could shine some light on it. Much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I spent several days surveying the area and you'll find it well mapped on our 'Blackstairs, Mount Leinster & The Barrow Valley' map at 1:25,000 scale. There are several approaches and a waymarked loop walk which goes via the summit. Although modest in elevation, it's a very important hill archaeologically, historically and topographically as it 'towers' over the Barrow below.

Not sure what you mean Tadhg by 'off roading'? If it involves mechanically propelled vehicles that chew up the landscape, I think you should keep to the lowlands below...

BarryD wrote: »
    I spent several days surveying the area and you'll find it well mapped on our 'Blackstairs, Mount Leinster & The Barrow Valley' map at 1:25,000 scale. There are several approaches and a waymarked loop walk which goes via the summit. Although modest in elevation, it's a very important hill archaeologically, historically and topographically as it 'towers' over the Barrow below.

Not sure what you mean Tadhg by 'off roading'? If it involves mechanically propelled vehicles that chew up the landscape, I think you should keep to the lowlands below...

Thats very helpful thanks Brian. Just was not sure on approaches. Thanks for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Well lads,
    Ive heard bits and peices regarding off roading on Brandon hill. Just wondering if anyone who is familiar with this area could shine some light on it. Much appreciated. :)

Thats very helpful thanks Brian. Just was not sure on approaches. Thanks for that. :)
    So, you still feel the need to chew this hill up. :mad:

Not your ornery onager

In fairness, Tadhg has not clarified what he means by 'off roading'? Could be talking about hiking off the beaten path for all we know, perhaps he can clarify??

In fairness, Tadhg has not clarified what he means by 'off roading'? Could be talking about hiking off the beaten path for all we know, perhaps he can clarify??
    Thank you Barry. In regards to 'off roading' it was ment by a bike; which is not mechanically propelled. Dont ve as quick to jump to conclusions. :)

• Advertisement

Thank you Barry. In regards to 'off roading' it was ment by a bike; which is not mechanically propelled. Dont ve as quick to jump to conclusions. :)
    So, your Disco 3 is a bike, not a Land Rover Discovery 3 then? Yeah, right...

Don't be so quick to lie through your teeth.

Not your ornery onager

One of these?? http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/technical-d3-vf2.html

Brandon Hill is no place for one of these unless you're attending some organised event confined to forest tracks etc......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

One of these?? http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/technical-d3-vf2.html

Brandon Hill is no place for one of these unless you're attending some organised event confined to forest tracks etc......

Agreed, also I think there are bars across the road to stop idiots people going past certain points so they can drive around in their 4WD's

You obviously were not fortune enough to ever own a land rover. However it is clear that it is only a recreational track for walkers etc.; nevertheless I was just following up on rumors of an off road track which evidently ceists to exist. Thus I shall divert me search elsewhere to experience such a fine machine amd explore its capabilities. Your guidance and help has been most helpful and appreciated. :):). Thank you.

You obviously were not fortune enough to ever own a land rover. However it is clear that it is only a recreational track for walkers etc.; nevertheless I was just following up on rumors of an off road track which evidently ceists to exist. Thus I shall divert me search elsewhere to experience such a fine machine amd explore its capabilities. Your guidance and help has been most helpful and appreciated. :):). Thank you.
    Here's your hat, and mind your arse on the door.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod

Keep it civil guys please.

Maybe look up http://www.lustybegisland.com/

They're into that sort of thing, tank tracks through the forest around the island etc. Privately owned etc. Looked pretty challenging driving to me.

Thanks for that barry. Will give that a look over. :). Hard to find places like that. Thanks for the help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Dubh73

Anyone have an update on Brandon hill. You could drive up past the farmyard and park before but now there is a gate locked and a small side gate open for walkers only. I don’t fancy leaving the car at the gate after all it is in the farmers yard and his dogs are not so friendly. Has access from this side (Graig to newross turn off on Inistoige road) been stopped altogether

Advertisement