Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling wear for renewed interest commuter.

Options
  • 13-10-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I posted recently that I was starting back commuting to work. i just spent a grand on a full carbon bike and went to get price on parts/cothes. Are the following prices justified for a newbie? the trip is from ashbourne to city centre so about 14 mile one way according to aaroutefinder.

Pedals (double sided shimanos thingys) - 50e
    Shoes (to fit above pedals?) - 60e
    Lights (cats eye thingys, looked good in the shop) - 50e
    Night vision jackets (very nice shiny yellow effort) - 100e
    bib tights - 70e (are they better then shorts with trackie bottoms over?)
    Lock - 40e
    helmet - 100e. (I seen that giro one someone post earlier for 88e)

which is around the 470 mark, pobably discounted by about 50e if I bulk buy. lets say 420.
    That ashbourne road is not very well lit in parts so will need good lumination. I intend to cycle about 4 days a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

thumpybum wrote: »
    Are the following prices justified for a newbie? the trip is from ashbourne to city centre so about 14 mile one way according to aaroutefinder.
    1) Commuting on a carbon bike .... EEeeeer No
    2) €40 lock ... Errr No ... for a carbon bike Errr 100 x NO .. in the city centre x500 NO
    3) Night vision Jacket ... on a Carbon bike ... No .... but I do it while training in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

I didnt get it here but this is the bike

I did ask in several places and was assured that type of a bike was great for regualar road use.

Bike will be safe enough at home garage and in office building bike rack but want to lock it anyway in the office. I can leave the lock in the office.

I want to be shiny and most of my cycling will be done < 8am & > 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,380 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This cateye is good, I have it
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cateye-Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Tail-Safe-Safety-Light-LD1100_W0QQitemZ120311640339QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120311640339&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

and cheap there ~€29 incl delivery

€45 in town.
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=19784

If I had a 1K bike in town I would want at least a kryptonite new york fagedabbouits on it, and another lock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Pedals (double sided shimanos thingys) - 50e
    Shoes (to fit above pedals?) - 60e
    Lights (cats eye thingys, looked good in the shop) - 50e
    Night vision jackets (very nice shiny yellow effort) - 100e
    bib tights - 70e (are they better then shorts with trackie bottoms over?)
    Lock - 40e
    helmet - 100e. (I seen that giro one someone post earlier for 88e)

Anything which improves your visibility, comfort or security on the bike is definitely justified. I'd probably spend more on the lock though. Also, you'll need a few changes of bibs/shorts since they'll be getting dirty and sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I did ask in several places and was assured that type of a bike was great for regular road use.
    Oh I am sure it's a great bike to cycle to work with, I have used my Carbon bike to commute a few times, and it was great, but I had to attach it to my desk not to the work bike rack, that's suicide. My alu trek was tempered with a few times by thieves but they were caught before taking off with the bike each time and that was in an enclosed car park. I just don't trust bike racks. |I commute with a fixie now and I use a heavy duty kryptonite lock ... I am still very paranoid when I leave the bike locked...
    I would use more than 1 lock if i were you though, especially if you have quick release wheels.

• Advertisement

If I had a 1K bike in town I would want at least a kryptonite new york fagedabbouits on it, and another lock too.

Are things that bad, even in supposedly secure areas? :eek:

I could leave a kryptonite u lock in the office rack and put another lock around and bring front wheel to office with me? sound ok?

what do you put a lock on, wheels, frame, seat even?

omg, what have I let myself in for? :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

omg, what have I let myself in for? :(:(

Suspicion, paranoia and (hopefully not) heartache.

It realy depends on just how secure the office rack is. Even then, do you trust everyone who has access.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,380 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are things that bad, even in supposedly secure areas? :eek:
    They are not that bad, they're even WORSE!

no joking, theft is a definite possibility, no area is "secure". If locked to a crap rack they can cut the rack, then use powertools in a workshop to get a tough lock off. Some use a mini u-lock, so close that removing it would damage the bike.

At least get 2 types of lock, U-lock & chain. Preferably a chain with rotating links so even powertools have a hard time. Both locks sort of need different tools to break them well, so a thief might only carry one.
    It realy depends on just how secure the office rack is. Even then, do you trust everyone who has access
    In a lot of "secure" places, anybody can walk in, walk up with a jacket with a anpost logo or rentokill logo and you stroll right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

It's not just the value of the Carbon bike. I used mine a few times but bought a single speed just because I didn't want the carbon bike getting wrecked. I don't need the expense of changing parts and if anything happened the frame it would be finished. It was also a good excuse to buy a single speed:D. I cycle from Ratoath to Finglas and it's not a problem on the ss as it's not a hilly commute, the distance is 20km. Mind you I only commute about twice a week. Did you buy the carbon bike with the intention of commuting and do you commute everyday?

I'm lucky I have my own office and can have the bike beside my desk.

• Advertisement

Did you buy the carbon bike with the intention of commuting and do you commute everyday?
    pretty much 4 days a week commute. I tentatively allocated a grand for a bike and equipment as Im spending 30 a week on the bus, so hoping for it to pay off over a year. The bike will hopefully retain some sell on value (if its not nicked) so if I decide its not for me after a while I can move it.

..as I spent a g on the bike its looking like its gonna cost 1500 all in between clothes, locks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When I was buying my bike (same budget as yours, for a mix of commuting and fun rides) I was warned by a friend to stick with a metal frame and stay away from carbon, the perception being that it is fragile - strong in certain directions but not in others.

I also wanted eyelets and clearance for proper mudguards, which are almost unknown on a carbon bike.

Anyway, I would be genuinely interested to know how your carbon bike stands up to regular commuting duty. The frame is less than half the cost of the bike; what's the worst that can happen?

This may be useful if you want to avoid this.

Someone has to do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

People can be careless, banging bikes, locks and other things against your frame. Its much like driving: if you are parking in a car park every day, you expect to get a few dings from people swinging doors. Drive a fiesta, keep the ferrari for weekends!

Bit late now I suppose...

I have a Kryptonite New York lock and despite the hefty weight, its worked pretty well so far. I would be worried about the frame, but then again I'm paranoid about carbon fiber.

People can be careless, banging bikes, locks and other things against your frame. Its much like driving: if you are parking in a car park every day, you expect to get a few dings from people swinging doors. Drive a fiesta, keep the ferrari for weekends!

oh I have me 4 wheeled (fies...cough) ferrari for the weekends already.

I got a tip from someone else on wrapping up the bike with tape to dress it down and also protect it from wear and tear.

guys, advice has been great today, thanks. Much clearer picture of where I need to get to. Nearly there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

14 miles is a long commute, I can understand you wanting a decent bike to do it on.

I have commuted on my carbon road bike, especially if I am taking the long way in or planning a spin at lunchtime or after work. There is nothing inherently more damaging to commuting mileage than any other type of mileage, other maybe than the existence of more traffic, and I certainly have many more km on my road bike than any of the others. (Mind you I did write off my last carbon bike in a crash with a car on my morning commute, crash was my fault and wouldn't have happened if I had been paying attention or had my brakes working properly.)

As to the security, it does depend on just how secure your parking is; my work parking is pretty secure, I'm comfortable with it anyway and so far no problems.

So to summarise, I think your choice is perfectly valid.

Don't understand why you would wear jogging pants over shorts, that would not work out very comfortable. Get tights for the cold months.

I would consider a Smart 1/2 watt LED rather than the Cateye; I'd probably get two of them and put one on flash, one on constant. From/to Ashbourne I am guessing you are going to have unlit roads in which case you will want something that will light up the road, not just something to make yourself visible. I am planning on getting a Fenix torch for this purpose myself, probably a TK11 based on comments here. I have used a borrowed L2D which was very effective. No harm to have something else as a backup/secondary though as the battery life on the torches is short, a matter of a couple of hours. I also have one of these BLT lights and this Cateye (both 1 watt LEDs) for that purpose.

I have an Altura Night Vision myself and they are _extremely_ visible at night, it is a good choice. Only issue I found with it is that it gets a bit sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I have the Abus Granite XPlus 54 which has scored well in alot of cycling magazine tests in recent years. Its survived one theft attempt and prevented the bike being taken, although damage was done by the subhumans that tried to swipe it, after they'd failed to break the lock.

I know one of my university lecturers brings a bike into their office (which is what I would do if I had one!), in my part time job I get away with leaving the thing in the toilet.

+1 on the Smart 1/2 watt LED rear light, they're pretty good. I've a cateye tripleshot up front - some of them can be found knocking around pretty cheaply these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

neilled wrote: »
    I know one of my university lecturers brings a bike into their office
    For a nice bike, this is the best recommendation.

I'd also budget at least €100 for a lock, and, as mentioned above, get some good lights (2 on the back).

M

Advertisement