Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32 inch tv half price tesco

Options
  • 13-10-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

I was in tesco and saw an offer of a 32 inch Samsung TV for aroung 695 euro, it was half price so was originally over1300 euro. Prices are approx cannot remember exactly

PS Has anyone else seen it? I am looking for a 32 inch and if anyone has any views I woiuld appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

seems a bit expensive even at 695 considering the way these have dropped recently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

need model numbers to compare as prices depend on spec. 695 is about normal for 32" samsung thats only HD ready as opposed to HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I was in tesco and saw an offer of a 32 inch Samsung TV for aroung 695 euro, it was half price so was originally over1300 euro. Prices are approx cannot remember exactly

PS Has anyone else seen it? I am looking for a 32 inch and if anyone has any views I woiuld appreciate it

Sounds like the usual Tesco scam - double the price of something for a few weeks, and then bring it back to a normal price claiming its "half-price". As usual, most people fall for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Sounds like the usual Tesco scam - double the price of something for a few weeks, and then bring it back to a normal price claiming its "half-price". As usual, most people fall for it...
    Is that not illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

as TheDriver said need model number, there are tonnes of different Samsung 32" tv's around, for example right now on www.pixmania.com there's one for 471 euros, but unless it's a really good model TV 695 sounds like a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is that not illegal?

not if done correctly, think it has to be double the price for a certain time.

Does seem dodgy, the 37or 40" samsung 6 series should be around that original price.

Doesn't seem like a bargain then sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

is it LCD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

If its a 32A656, though, then 700e would be a bargain alright IMO. Other that, its a bit 'meh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

TheDriver wrote: »
    need model numbers to compare as prices depend on spec. 695 is about normal for 32" samsung thats only HD ready as opposed to HD

Who cares if it is HD Ready or HD ? There is not a broadcaster in the world that actually broadcasts on 1080p not even any of the big networks in the United States. 1080i is the usual standard. So buying full HD 1080P is pointless at present.

Full HD 1080p is only really for devices that use 1080p like blu-ray players, maybe some game consoles like PS3 but your HD Ready 720p/1080i will display these excellently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

got a samsung 32" for about 600euro only 2 months ago. I wouldnt fall for that price. Looking for a 22" now for another room mite go up the north for it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Slightly stealing this thread, but what sort of price should i be paying for a decent 37"-42" tv nowadays? Its been a long time since i bought one, and i havent a clue what the difference between hd-ready and hd is. Basically i want a good tv to watch hd movies and play my xbox, without getting absolutly ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Kiith wrote: »
    Slightly stealing this thread, but what sort of price should i be paying for a decent 37"-42" tv nowadays? Its been a long time since i bought one, and i havent a clue what the difference between hd-ready and hd is. Basically i want a good tv to watch hd movies and play my xbox, without getting absolutly ripped off.

i'm shopping for the same at the minute, and i've found these guys to be the best so far..

http://www.richersounds.ie/

They've a good relationship with Boards.ie aswell, check out their forum on here for any questions you want to ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

TheDriver wrote: »
    What's the difference - i'm in the market for a tv at present but didn't know that this could/would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    What's the difference - i'm in the market for a tv at present but didn't know that this could/would be an issue.

HD Ready = 720p
    Full HD = 1080p

HD ready is fine, imo, for < 40" tv's. Its very hard to spot the difference between 720 and 1080 on tv's below this bar.

1080 really comes into its own the bigger the set really

Samsung 32 inch wide TFT LCD
    LE32T51BX/XEU
    LCS TV
    HDMI and PC inputs
    697.49 euro at Tesco [claimed to be half price]. Offer till 31 DEC 2008. I think it is
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/LE32T51B_32_Inch_LCD_TV_LE32T51BX-XEU/version.asp
    Can anyone translate and say if its a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Samsung 32 inch wide TFT LCD
    LE32T51BX/XEU
    LCS TV
    HDMI and PC inputs
    697.49 euro at Tesco [claimed to be half price]. Offer till 31 DEC 2008. I think it is
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/LE32T51B_32_Inch_LCD_TV_LE32T51BX-XEU/version.asp
    Can anyone translate and say if its a good deal?

Seems to me like an older model
    according to the link you posted and this one:
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/860689/-/Product.html
    it dosen't seem to have any HDMI input sockets which is a big minus....contrast ratio is 2000:1 which is average. Also dosen't mention DVB which is slightly unusual in my opinion....
    IMO not a good deal

Take a look at this one instead on Komplett: Samsung 32" LCD-TV LE32A330 €495.00
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350117&view=detailed#ProductTabs

Looking at this in more detail looks like this is a much better telly at a very good price.....might consider it myself

neacy69 wrote: »
    Seems to me like an older model
    according to the link you posted and this one:
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/860689/-/Product.html
    it dosen't seem to have any HDMI input sockets which is a big minus....contrast ratio is 2000:1 which is average. Also dosen't mention DVB which is slightly unusual in my opinion....
    IMO not a good deal
    ;) for the feedback
    Take a look at this one instead on Komplett: Samsung 32" LCD-TV LE32A330 €495.00
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350117&view=detailed#ProductTabs
    Thanks for that link. What is a good contrast ratio? OK I read http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_dynamic_contrast_ratio_importantwhen_purchasing_a_television
    Are Komplett good to deliver?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1519153/art/samsung/le32a330-lcd-television.html for 469 2year g'tee as against Komplette 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

with the samsung one from komplett/pixmania is there a tuner inbuilt for use with standard Irish cable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Recently got a Samsung LE37A451 from DID in Wexford. List price was €779 but pointed out that Joyces in New Ross have them for €729. Manager offered it to me for €699 so i took it. Could have bought it at full price and then invoked their "Double the difference" deal to get an extra €20 off but I'd have had to drive home to NR to get documentary evidence of the Joyces price and then drive back to WX to save it, so no point.

Its Series 4 so not the current model but that doesn't bother me. Has 3x HDMI (am using none), is HD ready (I need nothing more), has 10,000:1 contrast ratio, picture is good, sound is good, SWMBO loves it so that ticks all the boxes.

Don't be fooled by having inbuilt digital tuners BTW - if they're destined for the UK market, they use MPEG2. When we get DTT we'll be using the MPEG4 standard, so MPEG2 sets will need a STB anyway.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Recently got a Samsung LE37A451 from DID in Wexford. List price was €779 but pointed out that Joyces in New Ross have them for €729. Manager offered it to me for €699 so i took it. .
    This it? 771 euro
    http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=LE37A451C1XXE&subid=195

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Don't be fooled by having inbuilt digital tuners BTW - if they're destined for the UK market, they use MPEG2. When we get DTT we'll be using the MPEG4 standard, so MPEG2 sets will need a STB anyway.

off topic:
    This is true......although the current MPEG2 digital televisions can still decode the MPEG4 streams with the use of a MPEG4 cam card

On topic...I still reckon that link on komplett is a very good deal

not sure if i should start new thread but
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Nordmende_NM_32780__6851150 is in Dunnes for 499 contrast ratio 1200.1. That very low?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You would be better off buying the Samsung off Kompett or Pixmania.
    It is a better tv than the Nordmende and much better value imo.

I have used both of them before and havent had a problem.

jackncoke wrote: »
    You would be better off buying the Samsung off Kompett or Pixmania.
    It is a better tv than the Nordmende and much better value imo.

I have used both of them before and havent had a problem.
    OK thanks for your help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

HD Ready = 720p
    Full HD = 1080p

HD ready is fine, imo, for < 40" tv's. Its very hard to spot the difference between 720 and 1080 on tv's below this bar.

1080 really comes into its own the bigger the set really

Not only is it very hard, its impossible.. 1080i/720p is the standard for sub 40 inch tvs, its the best your eye can see.

1080p was invented for bigger tvs, so the image would not have to be stretched.

Furthermore, sitting at the right distance from a 32inch 1080i/720p tv and a larger 42inch 1080p tv, it should be impossible to see any differences. Except one picture is bigger..

Only one ps3 game comes in 1080p, and watching the bluray in 1080p on the 32 inch wont gain you any extra detail, unless you use the screen like a computer monitor and sit on top of it.

There is also one broadcaster in america who has select channels in 1080p for premium users. But again, unless you have a big tv youre just scaming yourself into thinking there is a difference.

Is contrast ratio very important? I have seen several contrast ratios but did not notice big difference

Furthermore, sitting at the right distance from a 32inch 1080i/720p tv and a larger 42inch 1080p tv
    What is the right distance please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That's the one.
    You would be better off buying the Samsung off Kompett or Pixmania
    I think this is the same one. Makes the DID price look good, considering you'd have to get it delivered too.

Just noticed this on IBOOD - Samsung 32Inch HD Ready LCD TV with 3 x HDMI and Picture-in-Picture for €444, if you're confident in ordering such a big thing from IBOOD (never used them but have heard varying reports about slow delivery).

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback. Would have bought from komplett but I only have 3v and cant get credit over 350. What do you guys think of

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_7250.htm?WT.mc_id=2008-10-17-12-25

I was going to start a new BA thread but I am not sure it is a bargain?

And http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=LE32A451C1XXE&subid=195 is 571 in DID waterford. That good tv?/price

Advertisement