Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC cable modem causes interference on TV!

Options
  • 13-10-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this on their setup.

I have ntl/UPC for TV, broadband and phone. Both the TV and the cable modem are in different corners of the same room, with the cable modem fed from a splitter on the cable going to the tv

Yesterday, I moved the TV over to the same corner of the room where the cable modem is. When I turned on the TV, the reception was utter crap. At first, I thought it might be the wireless router interfering, or a dodgy splitter, but imagine my surprise when I unplugged the cable modem and the TV reception was suddenly perfect!

Why O why would UPC supply a modem that interferes so badly with their own analogue TV signal?

BTW, I have the newer Scientific Atlanta cable modem which includes the phone ports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've always had the modem and TV in the same corner of the room on both analogue and digital. The modem and wireless router are beside eachother, on the TV's stand. I've never has problems with interference.

Is it possible that the cable going from the splitter to the modem is damaged? Or perhaps the connector on either is damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

seamus wrote: »
    I've always had the modem and TV in the same corner of the room on both analogue and digital. The modem and wireless router are beside eachother, on the TV's stand. I've never has problems with interference.

Is it possible that the cable going from the splitter to the modem is damaged? Or perhaps the connector on either is damaged?

the cable and splitter certainly didn't look damaged. Interesting that you don't see any interference. Do you have the newer modem that supports the phone service, or the older one?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've the newer one now, but I had both versions of the older one and never had a problem with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

stiofanD wrote: »
    Why O why would UPC supply a modem that interferes so badly with their own analogue TV signal?

Cheap n' nasty, it's guaranteed crap in the small print!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

the cable and splitter certainly didn't look damaged. Interesting that you don't see any interference. Do you have the newer modem that supports the phone service, or the older one?

Ignore Rubadub's solution. I dislike UPC but he seems to have a vendetta. I have the same modem and no problems. As Seamus said, it's probably a dodgy cable or splitter.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Ignore Rubadub's solution.
    It was only a joke, but it is just simply common fact that almost all companies who offer "free" devices will give you a substandard one, makes perfect sense for them to do so. And if you know no better you just live with it.

I am a UPC customer myself, they did a great job installing my cabling, seems decent quality, but the box itself is dire.

Hmmm... I'll try replacing some of the cables and see does that help at all. When you buy co-ax, how do you know you're getting good-quality, properly shielded stuff? Is there a particular model number or something like that to look out for? Any recommendations where I can go to get go coax cable?

how do you know you're getting good-quality, properly shielded stuff?
    Usually the price;)
    Is there a particular model number or something like that to look out for?
    CT100 or RG6 should be OK, I think CT100 is the better of those.

I had interference on my mates TV, just was overlapping cables at the back. Make sure they are not all tied up in knots or twisted around each other, better to be short as possible.

Found the culprit!

I had two splitters, one split off to the cable modem and another to split the signal between the TV and a PVR. When I replaced the cable between the two splitters, the interference went away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 upthecake

Try moving the basestation from the phone away from the TV as this fixed my issue, seems to be poor isolation on the MMDS TV box

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this on their setup.

I have ntl/UPC for TV, broadband and phone. Both the TV and the cable modem are in different corners of the same room, with the cable modem fed from a splitter on the cable going to the tv

Yesterday, I moved the TV over to the same corner of the room where the cable modem is. When I turned on the TV, the reception was utter crap. At first, I thought it might be the wireless router interfering, or a dodgy splitter, but imagine my surprise when I unplugged the cable modem and the TV reception was suddenly perfect!

BTW, I have the newer Scientific Atlanta cable modem which includes the phone ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Just got ntl/upc 20mb and have the same problem.
    Originally there were two "Cablelink" ports in the sitting room in different corners. NTL replaced one of them with a upc splitter. When modem is switched on the tv is interfered with. My auld lad just switches it off when he comes in so he can watch tele. How can I solve this? Didn't get any useable answers from this thread so far

What is the story with the new splitter? It seems to take a completely different cable from the old "hole in the wall" things. Do I need a new cable? Is there a different type of TV cable availbale now?
    Please help...

niallk wrote: »
    Just got ntl/upc 20mb and have the same problem.
    Originally there were two "Cablelink" ports in the sitting room in different corners. NTL replaced one of them with a upc splitter. When modem is switched on the tv is interfered with. My auld lad just switches it off when he comes in so he can watch tele. How can I solve this? Didn't get any useable answers from this thread so far

What is the story with the new splitter? It seems to take a completely different cable from the old "hole in the wall" things. Do I need a new cable? Is there a different type of TV cable availbale now?
    Please help...

In my case, the problem was that the cable going from the splitter to the TV (or actually the ntl digital box) was crap - it didn't have the necessary shielding to stop interference from the modem. Once I replaced it with a better quality cable, the interference was gone.

Advertisement