Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be Your Own Therapist

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Just incase you haven't seen this.

Very good talk.

Speaker: Venerable Robina Courtin
    A Tibetan Buddhist nun for 30 years, beloved teacher and power-house personality, Ven. Robina Courtin is Executive Director of Liberation Prison Project, based in San Francisco. (LiberationPrisonProject.org)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nasIq4E9nNg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thank you ntlbell, will watch this later. And feed back I am sure:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

Just watched it through, is a really interesting talk! A very interesting women too, was a little taken aback by her in-your-face approach :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Thanks for posting this, I found it matched my mood more than a lot of stuff I've read or looked at recently. Just as I was thinking 'why should the fact someone else has thoughts you can relate to matter', she gets asked that question of whether Buddhism (or effectively any recorded ideas of anyone) might restrict rather than help progress - which I felt she handled with good humour.

I like her manner, which I feel reflects an attempt to avoid illusion. That's actually the thought I felt after viewing it. How to tell illusion from reality. I particularly felt interested in the question posed from the audience of how to progress beyond the point of accepting anger is there within us. I find this a challenge and, indeed, its is a question of why I should feel anger. What's my problem.

Any individual point she made I'm sure I've come across somewhere else before. I feel a reluctance to take those points more seriously, just because another person has put them in a way I find appealing. Yet, she makes (in my opinion) a valid point about the nature of the process. She's just putting forward an idea, validated by her experience. Its up to us to decide if we feel its something similarly validated by ours.

I think she's an interesting person with interesting views. I'm glad I spent an hour watching this.

Advertisement