Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout help

Options
  • 13-10-2008 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm having big problems with roundabouts (even the thought of them makes me shudder!). Each time i approach one i pray that i will just be able to go straight through rather than have to halt for traffic coming around the roundabout.

Basically what i get nervous about is my gears. Say if i'm approaching a roundabout in 4th gear, do i break break gently until i know whether i can keep going or have to stop? Last week i was coming into one and i got my gears totally wrong and ended up stalling in the middle of the roundabout!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Hey guys

I'm having big problems with roundabouts (even the thought of them makes me shudder!). Each time i approach one i pray that i will just be able to go straight through rather than have to halt for traffic coming around the roundabout.

Basically what i get nervous about is my gears. Say if i'm approaching a roundabout in 4th gear, do i break break gently until i know whether i can keep going or have to stop? Last week i was coming into one and i got my gears totally wrong and ended up stalling in the middle of the roundabout!

A general rule of thumb for roundabouts is, you should be in 2nd gear when on the roundabout, this works for most roundabouts. So, approaching the roundabout, you should begin to slow, down shift, either from 4th straight to 2nd, or if you prefer from 4th, 3rd and then to 2nd, provided there are no cars coming from your right you enter the roundabout in the correct lane and take your exit. If you have to stop at the roundabout, dont worry about stalling, just take your time and get moving in 1st then up to 2nd and continue in the correct lane until your exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

When you downshift to 2nd do you take your foot off the clutch and accelerate if the way is clear, and simple brake and clutch down to 1st if you have to stop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes, release the clutch when in second, not doing so would be coasting, which is a very bad habit. If you need to stop, stop in second gear, no need to change down to first.
    Just to note, when i say "change down through the gears", i mean: Say you're changing from fourth to third to second, that would mean
    Start Breaking.
    Clutch in, change to third, release clutch.
    Continue breaking.
    Clutch in, change to second, release clutch.

I just used that as an example of how to change down through the gears, most will go directly from 4th to 2nd (Skipping 3rd), But the process is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

I normally just clutch in, and go from 4th to 3rd, and from 3rd to 2nd without releasing the clutch. Is this not the same as going straight from 4th to 2nd??

I normally just clutch in, and go from 4th to 3rd, and from 3rd to 2nd without releasing the clutch.

You must release the clutch between gear changes, not going so defeats the purpose. If you prefer going from 4th to 2nd, break, clutch in, change to second, release clutch, and if necessary stop, if not continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

You must release the clutch between gear changes, not going so defeats the purpose. If you prefer going from 4th to 2nd, break, clutch in, change to second, release clutch, and if necessary stop, if not continue.
    Driving instructor taught me this 'Block Shifting' as he refers to it, thought it was odd to begin with but is more of a habit now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

You should never really be approaching a roundabout in 4th, should go round it in 2nd, so when approaching a roundabout aim to gear down to 2nd just before you are at the roundabout and then if by that point you need to stop all you have to do is brake. By the sounds of things your problem is that you are approaching them too fast.

macroman wrote: »
    Driving instructor taught me this 'Block Shifting' as he refers to it, thought it was odd to begin with but is more of a habit now :p

Em, that seems very wrong to me. From a technical point of view, are u not wrecking your clutch by doing that????

peanuthead wrote: »
    Em, that seems very wrong to me. From a technical point of view, are u not wrecking your clutch by doing that????

How would it wreck your clutch?, Provided your speed is appropriate for 2nd gear, block changing would be easier on the clutch than cycling through 4th, 3rd than 2nd.

Well, Im just thinking, if your speed was appropriate for 2nd after just being in 4th, sounds like youve either got your clutch in for ages as you reduce your speed or youre leaving all your braking till the last minute. Either way, I wouldnt like to be stuck behind you for too long.

• Advertisement

:confused:
    That's ridiculous, block changing doesn't mean i drive like a granny!
    And does not involve coasting, or breaking quickly!
    You break as you normally would, ie smoothly, (no foot on the clutch) and when you get down to an appropriate speed for 2nd gear you change. Try it, it's the only way you'll see what i mean.

:confused:
    That's ridiculous, block changing doesn't mean i drive like a granny!
    And does not involve coasting, or breaking quickly!
    You break as you normally would, ie smoothly, (no foot on the clutch) and when you get down to an appropriate speed for 2nd gear you change. Try it, it's the only way you'll see what i mean.

Ok, point taken, I cant judge you till Ive tried it, and I will. But im just thinking that my car (might just be my car) would become all jumpy if I wan in 4th and going slow enough to be in second.

Nevertheless, Im going to try this later and Ill let you know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Can I ask a quick roundabout question?

I’m fairly confident I know how to deal with roundabouts, the lane I should be in when I approach and what indicator I should use and when I should use it etc. The problem I have is when I’m exiting a roundabout on the 4th exit; I indicate right as I approach but as soon as I hit the roundabout and start turning left my indicator turns off. So I flick it back on and it goes off again. I put it on a third time and it goes off again. It only seems to stay on once I’ve gone past twelve o’clock on the roundabout (if you know what I mean). This happened in 2 driving centre cars and my Ma’s car I sometimes practice in. So is there some technique I’m not aware off I should be using to keep the indicator on until I need to indicate left?

Cheers.

If you're taking the 3rd/4th exit you should be indicating right until you pass the exit before your exit, at which stage you start to indicate left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Yeah, I know what indicator to use and when. The problem is that my right indicator turns off when I enter the roundabout and I was wondering if there’s a way to stop this? It’s happened on the 3 cars I’ve driven and having to put it on 3 times in a bit discontenting on a busy roundabout.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Yeah, I know what indicator to use and when. The problem is that my right indicator turns off when I enter the roundabout and I was wondering if there’s a way to stop this? It’s happened on the 3 cars I’ve driven and having to put it on 3 times in a bit discontenting on a busy roundabout.

Cheers.
    I know what you mean Ciaran. ;)

I had a van one time and it used to do that . It's very annoying as it requires a hand to be kept on the indicator stalk for much of the manoeuvre. (It used to be very common in Opel cars also).

I don't think there's much else you can do! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

Cheers.

if you aproach a roundabout properly for taking the third/fouth exit, you will have to turn the steering wheel LEFT to get on the roundabout proper. its at this stage you indicate right,(to let other motorists know your intentions),
    as you pass the turn BEFORE your exit,then indicate left

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stipes212 wrote: »
    if you aproach a roundabout properly for taking the third/fouth exit, you will have to turn the steering wheel LEFT
    He is required to be indicating right as he approaches the roundabout which may be perfectly straight but he must go towards the left when he enters it knocking off the indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Best thing you should do is get driving lessons and buy the rules of the road !
    Thats why there is so many deaths on the roads !:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

Hey guys

For a general 50 kmh roundabout you would slowed down and be in second gear about 4 or 5 car lenghts before the roundabout......that'll give you time to assess the roundabout and if you will likely stop or proceed and also to allow you have time for proper observations......sounds like you are leaving the elements of the approach to late and giving yourself little time and space to get things right......

hope that helps.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Annee

This link maybe slightly OT as in it doesn't mention gears but it's handy for knowing what lanes to be in and when to indicate:

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I've heard it all now, 'general rule of thumb' to use 2nd gear when using a roundabout.

It's no wonder roundabouts become such a burden on traffic flow.

If your approaching the roundabout and there you can do so without no oncoming traffic there is no way you should be shifting down to 2nd unless the roundabout is extremely tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The problem I have is when I’m exiting a roundabout on the 4th exit; I indicate right as I approach but as soon as I hit the roundabout and start turning left my indicator turns off. So I flick it back on and it goes off again. I put it on a third time and it goes off again. It only seems to stay on once I’ve gone past twelve o’clock on the roundabout (if you know what I mean). This happened in 2 driving centre cars and my Ma’s car I sometimes practice in. So is there some technique I’m not aware off I should be using to keep the indicator on until I need to indicate left?
    Practice making the turn more smoothly, so you don't need to work the steering back and forth to maintain road position as you go around. The indicator will cancel every time you straighten up the steering.

Advertisement