Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for setting up cleats

Options
  • 13-10-2008 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi everybody.
    I just got a new pair of shoes and cleats. I thought I copied the position from my other shoes pretty closely when I installed the cleats but my left foot seems to be too close to the crank. The cleat is as far in as it will go but it still feels like I'm always pushing out against the binding and now my knee is starting to get grumpy.
    Does anyone have a method for setting up and aligning cleats? I've been using spds for years but now I'm using KEOs.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

'68 wrote:
    Hi everybody.
    I just got a new pair of shoes and cleats. I thought I copied the position from my other shoes pretty closely when I installed the cleats but my left foot seems to be too close to the crank. The cleat is as far in as it will go but it still feels like I'm always pushing out against the binding and now my knee is starting to get grumpy.
    Does anyone have a method for setting up and aligning cleats? I've been using spds for years but now I'm using KEOs.

Cheers

You can try moving the cleat forward or back.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Cheers. Should the centre of the cleat be in line with the ball of the foot?

'68 wrote:
    Cheers. Should the centre of the cleat be in line with the ball of the foot?

Best have a search around t'interweb. Experiment with the position until it fits right. Make small adjustments.
    There is a little line on the edge of the cleat, I have that in line with the ball of my foot. Everyone is different so that might not work for you.

http://fitwerx.com/bike_fitting/proper-cleat-adjustment/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »

Nice article.

I was following it up to the point of:

"The width between the bony protrusions at the front of the pelvis (Anterior Superior Iliac Spine) are often good indicators of natural stance. The goal is to set the width between the rider’s left and right second toe rays to a similar width during riding."

What is a second toe ray?

Lumen wrote: »
    Nice article.

I was following it up to the point of:

"The width between the bony protrusions at the front of the pelvis (Anterior Superior Iliac Spine) are often good indicators of natural stance. The goal is to set the width between the rider’s left and right second toe rays to a similar width during riding."

What is a second toe ray?

Hands up, I just stuck in the first link I found and didn't read the article :)

• Advertisement

Hands up, I just stuck in the first link I found and didn't read the article :)

And I thank you for it:)
    I thought there might be an exact method but I'm probably being lazy! I'll get my experimenting hat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Have you a turbo trainer ?

Junior wrote: »
    Have you a turbo trainer ?

No turbo trainer, so it's the back pedal method to get the cleats into the rough area and then spin around the block...adjust...spin around the block...adjust method to fine tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Yeah, what I was going to suggest was that you loosen them slightly and just ride on the trainer for a bit and see where your feet settle and then try get out of the shoes ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It's been a while, but don't you take off the cleats,, go for a spin and then match up to the mark on the sole when you get back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

On a slightly related topic:

I can't despite huge effort and strain get the pedals of my Trek 1.5. I've got some clipless pedals I want to attach but for the life of me I can't get the old ones off. I'm sure I'm trying to un-screw correcting, taking the thread on the new pedals as a guide.

Any tips on how to get troublesome pedals off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

72hundred wrote: »
    On a slightly related topic:

I can't despite huge effort and strain get the pedals of my Trek 1.5. I've got some clipless pedals I want to attach but for the life of me I can't get the old ones off. I'm sure I'm trying to un-screw correcting, taking the thread on the new pedals as a guide.

Any tips on how to get troublesome pedals off?

wd40 (and to stop be flamed make sure you sclean it off afterwards to stop any corrosion)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

wd40 (and to stop be flamed make sure you sclean it off afterwards to stop any corrosion)

I'll try that. It could be there's a little rust in the threads as both pedals were submerged during the summer rains!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

Are you remembering the thread is reversed on the left side?

A buddy of mine didn't know that... He had great fun getting the pedal off having tightened the bejebus out of it! :D
    WD40 - great stuff - chain lubricant, tyre cleaner... Is there anything it can't do?

WD40 - great stuff - chain lubricant, tyre cleaner... Is there anything it can't do?

Chain lubricant? I don't think so :)

I hope you were just kidding.

If his chain is lubed with it and his tyres are cleaned with it I don't think we'll have to worry if he's joking or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

Chain lubricant? I don't think so :)

I hope you were just kidding.

Kidding indeed. Something happened to my smiley though. It does seem to be one of those nerve-touching issues!

I used to spray it onto the chain - an admission I expect to haunt me if I ever make it out on a boards spin - until the all-knowing internet (and this forum) educated me.

Advertisement