Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood Pellet Boiler's what to look for??

• 12-10-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I have decided to go for a wood pellet boiler, for a 2500sq ft hse, but don't know what's the best one to go for. What should I be looking for when buying a wood pellet boiler? and what are the best one's out there??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Murph08
    Doing a bit of study on renewables, came across wich I think will interest you.
    www.nutechrenewables.com

Heatherview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Squints

Hi Murph
    The two main things you should look for with a biomass boiler is the controller and the boilers safety features.
    The controller should be user friendly(many of them are not). Also you should ask all about the different safety features of the boiler, in particular its backfire safety features. This is especially critical if you have large storage facility as wood pellets/chips dust is extremely flammable.
    The two leading boilers are Froeling and KWB. They will cost you abit but if installed correctly will operate perfectly.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

i am inslaling a stoker pellet/timber solid fuel boiler which is made in austria in a 2500 sq ft house, the boiler has a seperate firebox for timber, fill it up light it and press a button and it runs on timber to save the pellets, it is 92% efficient when running on pellets. it is connected to the water supply with built in extinguishers and anti blow back device, the cost of the boiler fitted is about €10,200 - €3000 grant which is a bit dear but i get free timber (pallets) so the cost of the pellets should be small. website for these boilers is www.stoker.ie hope this helps, let us know your what you think.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mossyfields

If you are considering installing a pellet burning boiler, i strongly suggest you talk to at least 2 people who have the same model installed, (and more if possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Hi,

Check out the wood pellet boiler blog, he has an interesting article about fire place doors at the moment

http://wood-pellet-ireland.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

If you are not sure then go and visit developments that have wood-pellet boilers, or if your supplier recommends a specific type ask to visit one that they've installed to see for yourself. They do work and are very economical to run. Some boilers go indoors, some sit externally and some require a garage to store pellets. By this I mean that you can buy pellets in bags or get it blown in - if the pellets are being blown in then a purpose built holder is required which takes up quite a bit of space. Try Gerkros in Tipperary and see what they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 kevymoss

I am a plumbing and heating engineer and have installed a ATMOS wood fueled boiler. I went for these as they cost slightly less than the Froiling (Top of the range) and produce just as good results. They are fully gasifying and operate at 90%+ efficecny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

What type of atmos did you install how big was the buffer tank
    Do you think wood gasifying boilers are any good

Yes the gasifying are the best no ash and max efficency. I used a 1000 ltr tank but really depends upon the boiler size

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Just wondering kevymoss is the atmos a log burning or wood pellet?

1000 litres is that enough for 0.5 day, 1 day, 2 days circulation in winter?

What is the ball park figure for a wood fuel boiler with buffer tank and all the other odds and ends needed. (You can dm me that figure if you prefer)

Is there any sanity to the idea of hooking up a 1000 litre buffer tank to an oil burner? Will you just burn more oil ? or would it result in significant savings?

Thanks

Liam

• Advertisement

I would need to know your house size and type of heating. Also your requirements.
    In terms of oil the best thing would be to go with a dual method with oil being teh back up however divert the oil away from teh buffer asit would have to heat the 1000 lts first before your would heat the house!

<SNIP>
    kevin

Read the charter Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you want to make sure the stove is made out of metal, some gullible people are sold stoves made out of carboard and of course they just burn up

These particular boilers are manufactured out of 6mm plate. strong stuff!

Advertisement