Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain Of Salvation

Options
  • 12-10-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else here a fan of this fantastic Swedish group. A recent discovery for me, stunning musicians.Got Scarface, Perfect Element, Remedy Lane, and today got my hands on 12:5, which totally blew me away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yep, big fan. They're quite incredible, I've all of their albums bar 12:5.

If you haven't heard it yet, get your hands on their first album, Entropia. It's astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Entropia on my order list.:cool:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Entropia on my order list.:cool:

Good man, you won't regret it!

Have you heard BE yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah, follow Hungus's advice, Entropia is pure brilliance. Excellent band.

Good man, you won't regret it!

Have you heard BE yet?

I have not heard BE yet, but it cerainly made interesting reading when i Googled it. Another on my wish list, i'll probably manage to pick it up in London next weekend( PT Gig) a lot easier than trying to order it from here.

• Advertisement

Sweet. Hope you enjoy the PT gig. ;)

Be is quite different to their other albums, a lot of folk influences on it, that was my first introduction to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I also endorse this product or service.

Seriously though, they are an excellent band, well worth checking out.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Got Remedy Lane awhile ago and thouroughly enjoyed it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

BE is quite an experience. Can take awhile to piece together what is happening storywise. Such a diverse and rewarding listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I resuscitate this ancient thread. Seems like the "Road Salt" double experience is not exciting many... Well I have to say this great band is disappointing me for a little while now (in fairness since Kristoffer "eviction") and it's quite a shame as the new, well the present drummer is a good friend of mine...

• Advertisement

I enjoyed Road Salt One, different from the previous albums, more raw, less complex, but a good listen. Haven't gotten Road Salt Two yet but I plan to give it a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No love for Scarsick in this thread? For shame people.:)

Edit: Just noticed it is called scarface by mistake in the first post, so there was some love for it. :D

Wasn't mad on Scarsick myself

The problem with Scarsick is that musically speaking, it's disappointing that it's the so long awaited and desired Perfect Element part 2. In terms of concept and lyrics themes it's pretty dense and fascinating as always with POS and gets better as much as you dig into it but I found the music gap too big personally, some kind of transition at the beginning would have been a better idea than spread some TPE1 melodies across the whole album..

On a general note, since Scarsick, I miss the lack of folk influence that were quite important and giving a special vibe on TPE1, Remedy Lane and Be. Same thing about RS1. They seem to be a little bit back on RS2 and that's a good thing for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

What the hell RS2 is out? Completely forgot about it.

I quite liked Scarsick, it was the first album of theirs that I got into.

By the way, Pain Of Salvation will be on the roads this autumn. Opening for Opeth. No Irish dates but a bunch of UK ones.

nov 8 – Bristol @ Academy – UK
    nov 9 – Newcastle @ Academy – UK
    nov 10 – Edinburgh @ Picture House – UK
    nov 11 – Manchester @ Academy – UK
    nov 12 – Birmingham @ Academy – UK
    nov 13 – London @ Brixton Academy – UK

All dates here: http://www.painofsalvation.com/2011/the-road/tour-dates/

What the hell RS2 is out? Completely forgot about it.

I quite liked Scarsick, it was the first album of theirs that I got into.

I'm listening to it atm...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

a
    iroced wrote: »
    By the way, Pain Of Salvation will be on the roads this autumn. Opening for Opeth. No Irish dates but a bunch of UK ones.

nov 8 – Bristol @ Academy – UK
    nov 9 – Newcastle @ Academy – UK
    nov 10 – Edinburgh @ Picture House – UK
    nov 11 – Manchester @ Academy – UK
    nov 12 – Birmingham @ Academy – UK
    nov 13 – London @ Brixton Academy – UK

All dates here: http://www.painofsalvation.com/2011/the-road/tour-dates/

Sssh, dont mention this tour. I'm due a baby in 9 days so no way in hell I can go to this, or I'd be at the London gig. If I make Manowar I'll be happy!

On the lookout for a gig next year in London though, already informed the aunt and uncle to be that they'll be on babysitting duty.

Bad news.
    Johan Hallgren will leave the band (to focus on his familly) after the Autumn Tour with Opeth => http://www.painofsalvation.com/2011/johan-leaves-pos/.

Well... another bad news in a row. Fredrik Hermansson will follow Johan Hallgren and leave the band at the end of this autumn tour.

Here is Daniel's statement
    You’d think we’d had enough, right? RINGLESS TOILETS, OPEN WOUNDS, BROKEN TOES, SPRAINED ABDOMINAL MUSCLES, BRUISES, BEE STINGS… For those who long for tour life – we’d gladly give you a few weeks on tour. Just one advice – when they deprive you of all sanity and spirit, make sure to cling on to your legs, ’cause they’re the ones you will need when you will run the hell away from it all!
    Nah, it’s never that bad (yes it is). No, really, don’t worry (worry!).
    Take the last tour we did for example, it was a dream. Seriously, we were deeply honored to have VON HERTZEN BROTHERS open up for us. These guys tour massively in Finland, have won Grammies, and supported NEIL YOUNG, and the ****ing FOO FIGHTERS for crying out loud. Now here they were, with Pain Of Salvation, rocking the stage silly every night. I hope people understood the quality of the music that was given them! Anyway, wonderful musicians, wonderful guys, wonderful people to have around when the bus breaks down for the third time and you’re stuck in Stara Zagora in Bulgaria for five days. And this is all hypothetical of course. No bus breaks down three times on a three week tour. Right? Right?
    This mess made us have to cancel our second show ever. Damn, that hurt! We had such a good track record! The first ever show we cancelled was in 2005, where we didn’t have any gear on location 30 minutes before the show (file under “good reason”). Ankara was cancelled because we were simply in another country, expecting to leave every day – we were all Bill Murray living in Groundhog Day for a few days, saying goodbye to the waitresses at the restaurant after every meal, then ridiculously returning again for the next meal. And the next. And the next. The heartbrokenness (that’s a word!) was less and less severe with every farewell. Still, there should be a Pain of Salvation fan club in Stara Zagora by now.
    All over Eastern Europe, despite very different size crowds from night to night, the devoted passion was the same every night. You gave so much back to us, really you did! And then there are always a number of fans who want to hear older material, but the funny thing is, they all commit to the fullest when we let them explode in ‘Linoleum’, ‘No Way’, ‘Conditioned’ and ‘To the Shoreline’. And they never sing along more tearfully than in 1979. The old Pain Of Salvation might have an eternal grip of their teenage cleverness, but the newer Pain Of Salvation has an even tighter grip on their souls and guts. I was gonna go for balls but then I changed my mind last second. Good.
    Now we’ve been home for less then two weeks, barely regrouping and catching our breaths. Come Monday and we’re leaving for five more weeks with Opeth. That odd feeling in our stomachs will be even more prominent this time around, since this tour marks the farewell of both Johan and Fredrik. See, I went and dipped my toes into the serious now, but I can’t dwell on it too long then I won’t have any energy left for convincing ending! Anyway, Léo and I are already guessing who of us will get to be Christopher Lambert in Highlander. Léo does have the youth, energy and motivation on his side. But I have red-hot statistics holding my fort.
    While we go out the next five weeks using this Pain Of Salvation to kick the dust off any stage you’ll put in front of us, another Pain Of Salvation is just now starting to rise from the ashes. We are walking multiple roads here ladies and gentlemen. For these coming five weeks you will witness the third death of Pain Of Salvation, and possibly get a glimpse of the beast waking up underneath its skin, soon to be unhinged. Anyway, the way I write this would be a sure sign that I am losing my sanity, but then again, I have always been writing like this.
    But alright, just for the record I will finish this in a more expected way: We are looking forward to going out on tour with Opeth. They are truly nice people and we have a lot in common. I also think our fans have a lot in common, so who knows what can happen in the crowds around Europe this fall. I know I’m gonna be there to see it!
    You really should be there too. You really should.

I can just hope this "third death of Pain Of Salvation" doesn't mean the end of the band...

• Advertisement
Advertisement