Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed gear wheelset.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Note those are track rims and don't have a braking surface- a bad idea if you are planning on riding the bike away from the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Federal

blorg wrote: »
    Note those are track rims and don't have a braking surface- a bad idea if you are planning on riding the bike away from the track.

I forgot to mention I have no intention of running brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Federal wrote: »
    I forgot to mention I have no intention of running brakes.

Idiot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Miche Pistard and Navigator Pista wheels are both €160 at Ribble. You should read up on whatever you decide on though, because I've read that some track wheelsets don't have sealed bearings and that isn't a good idea on the road.

+1 penexpers if you are using this bike away from the track.

I can skid stop pretty good but it is laughably ineffective compared to a front brake. If you have to stop in a hurry (and I have gone through a back window before due to bad braking) you need a front brake.

You may manage it if you never cycle faster than 15-20km/h I guess although even at those speeds you are better off with a front brake.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote: »
    Idiot.

Thanks mate, ever thought that I may have experience running brakeless bikes? I ride my bmx brakeless on a daily basis for over two years and fixed gear even longer. That's right, no fixed gearing, no form of braking in any way at all. I would consider myself relatively adept at controlling speed and guaging distance. Thanks for the presumption though.
    blorg wrote: »
    +1 penexpers if you are using this bike away from the track.

I can skid stop pretty good but it is laughably ineffective compared to a front brake. If you have to stop in a hurry (and I have gone through a back window before due to bad braking) you need a front brake.

You may manage it if you never cycle faster than 15-20km/h I guess although even at those speeds you are better off with a front brake.

Thanks for your concern, a post regarding the actual topic is what I would be even more thankful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I ride my bmx brakeless on a daily basis for over two years

Never heard of brakeless BMX - what's the thinking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

what budget is it? i'm well into the wheel building these days so i'd suggest you make your own up. cyclogical on the quays have completed fixed wheelsets which i think would currently work out about the same as what you see on ebay from the US given the postage, lesser exchange rate and possible import duties.

i'd echo what the lads said too about the brake. i rode brakeless around dublin for nearly a year, but only because i couldnt find the right long reach calipers for my self build. it was a bit dangerous riding around in traffic. yep you can learn to brake but its better for emergencies to have the hand brake on too. why not just put it on there as a safety catch and use the skid as often as you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

flickerx wrote: »
    why not just put it on there as a safety catch and use the skid as often as you want?

Because that wouldn't be cool -jeez, do you guys just not get it at all! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I ride my bmx brakeless on a daily basis...

any accusations of idiocy here are clearly completely baseless. "relax! i know what i'm doing!" only very occasionally become famous last words.

but... bare in mind that if you're going about sans stoppers you're basically accepting responsibility for any accident that might occur, regardless of who might actuallt be at fault. if you get flattened by white-van-man all he has to do is point to your bike and the incident will be interpreted in a way you will not like. how cool is that?

*steps off soap box.

i've had wheels built in cycleogical (by cliff, who really knows hat he's doing and isn't a complete wanker (unlike everyone else in that shop as far as i can see)). but i can't really recommend the systemEx hubs they sell in there as the bearings in mine are shot now, after about 18 months daily abuse. ah well. open pros are lovely rims. dunno what other hubs they have right now. prices are a bit made up on the spot in there so you're best off ringing them.

alternatively these get good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »

No they don't, don't get them at all -steer well clear!

I'm waiting for mine to arrive so no one else can have them :)

actually more completely relevant is my current situation. a driver broke a red light and smashed into me (and another car), it was only at the last second i saw him coming and managed to turn a bit and jam my hand on the brake, therefore lessening the impact to a mere five inch long steel plate in my neck with accompanying scar for the rest of my life, and serious damage to my ribs and shoulder, along with other pains in my back, elbow, stomach, among others.
    completely beyond my control, regardless of how aware i thought i was of the road (the lights were green for me so i assumed that the traffic would be stopped).

if i'd been skidding to a stop, i'd be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

actually more completely relevant is my current situation. a driver broke a red light and smashed into me (and another car), it was only at the last second i saw him coming and managed to turn a bit and jam my hand on the brake, therefore lessening the impact to a mere five inch long steel plate in my neck with accompanying scar for the rest of my life, and serious damage to my ribs and shoulder, along with other pains in my back, elbow, stomach, among others.
    completely beyond my control, regardless of how aware i thought i was of the road (the lights were green for me so i assumed that the traffic would be stopped).

Arguably, if you'd been riding a brakeless bike your anticipation levels would have been higher.

It's an odd argument though, a bit like that used to justify riding without a helmet on the basis that you're more careful because the potential consequences are worse. The difference is that not wearing a helmet risks only yourself, so it's purely a personal decision.

I can imagine a situation where an unbraked cyclist hits a pedestrian and gets beaten senseless by witnesses.

Cyclists have a bad enough reputation without aggravating it needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hows your recovery coming along Flickerx?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hows your recovery coming along Flickerx?

slowly. very. metal staples in my skin come out in one week, next visit to the fracture clinic in two weeks, hopefully physio & rehab can start after that. my right arm just doesnt work at the moment. still have lots of back and neck pains, and interrupted sleep - you may notice my erratic posting times here.

Morgan wrote: »
    Never heard of brakeless BMX - what's the thinking there?

Well essentially i could write a book albeit a very short book on bmx braking habits. most of the time, and how the brakeless bmx "trend" started off was riders who couldn't afford/ weren't arsed dialling in a brake because if it's not perfectly dialled, for bmx, it's basically useless and that's the reason I don't run brakes. It also helps your riding become that much smoother and your anticipation becomes better as do reactions. the traditional brakeless braking technique is putting your shoe in your rear tire or just running to a stop at lower speeds. It's nothing new and quite popular with kids who are trying to be trendy just like fixie hipsters. lots of pros are brakeless and their riding is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PVY4ZKQ1i0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuPnColjzj4

and my brakeless steed:
    http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2681338#post2681338
    what budget is it? i'm well into the wheel building these days so i'd suggest you make your own up. cyclogical on the quays have completed fixed wheelsets which i think would currently work out about the same as what you see on ebay from the US given the postage, lesser exchange rate and possible import duties.

i'd echo what the lads said too about the brake. i rode brakeless around dublin for nearly a year, but only because i couldnt find the right long reach calipers for my build. it was a bit dangerous riding around in traffic. yep you can learn to brake but its better for emergencies to have the hand brake on too. why not just put it on there as a safety catch and use the skid as often as you want?

thanks, i'll give cycleogical a bell then and see what they've got.

and i usually just use it for blowing around to mates houses and stuff, i seldom venture into the city center!
    Because that wouldn't be cool -jeez, do you guys just not get it at all! :P

Haha, like I said brake setup is far, far from my forte and i just enjoy riding brakeless too much.

Oh and the extra cool points i get, haha.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    any accusations of idiocy here are clearly completely baseless. "relax! i know what i'm doing!" only very occasionally become famous last words.

but... bare in mind that if you're going about sans stoppers you're basically accepting responsibility for any accident that might occur, regardless of who might actuallt be at fault. if you get flattened by white-van-man all he has to do is point to your bike and the incident will be interpreted in a way you will not like. how cool is that?

*steps off soap box.

i've had wheels built in cycleogical (by cliff, who really knows hat he's doing and isn't a complete wanker (unlike everyone else in that shop as far as i can see)). but i can't really recommend the systemEx hubs they sell in there as the bearings in mine are shot now, after about 18 months daily abuse. ah well. open pros are lovely rims. dunno what other hubs they have right now. prices are a bit made up on the spot in there so you're best off ringing them.

thanks for the speech tom, and thanks more for the help;)

but yeah, i know the liability aspect, and a lot of the time, i'm sure the unknowing would point to a brake'd fixie and ask "its your fault, you've only got one brake on your bike", but yeah depends on the situation etc. and i know where you're coming from.

wow, that was a very freak accident and i'm sorry to hear about it.

if it was a wet or icy day, yanking on the front anchors(again i'm assuming front brake only) could send you on the deck and under the wheels of the car but, its circumstantial and it's not worth arguing over.

hope you have a speedy recovery mate:)
    Lumen wrote: »
    Arguably, if you'd been riding a brakeless bike your anticipation levels would have been higher.

It's an odd argument though, a bit like that used to justify riding without a helmet on the basis that you're more careful because the potential consequences are worse. The difference is that not wearing a helmet risks only yourself, so it's purely a personal decision.

I can imagine a situation where an unbraked cyclist hits a pedestrian and gets beaten senseless by witnesses.

Cyclists have a bad enough reputation without aggravating it needlessly.

I understand where you're coming form and agree. still not putting on brakes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Abstract Prude

thinking on getting the first mavic wheelset here myself
    http://shop.greatdealsonbikes.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=GDOB&Category_Code=TR
    some nice prices there, lots cheaper than other places i've seen.
    could i run a break with these?

http://shop.greatdealsonbikes.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=GDOB&Category_Code=TR

not sure, it says everyday use so i would imagine so, you could always check the rim on the mavic site, might say there. but a word of warning, customs can be VERY heavy on stuff coming from the US , especially big, chunky boxes with wheels in, it could work out being a lot more expensive than it would seem.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

According to the Mavic site, CXP 22 rims have a brake surface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

el tonto wrote: »
    According to the Mavic site, CXP 22 rims have a brake surface

They do yea, i have one.

• Advertisement

CXP22s are a standard road rim (I had CXP33s before.)

Advertisement