Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary teaching - u like it ?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

there are so many people going for teaching these days. can any teachers working today tell us what the reality is like - the pro's and the cons. cheers !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭nubineeprincess

hiya
    im in st pats now...and i know im not technically a teacher but not far off!
    i think its a brill career....but its one of those things that you must have passion and determination for...you couldnt just walk in and do it!!
    my sister is fully qualified and she thinks its the best career in the world!!she adores it!!
    she had one bit of advice for me before i applied....she said do a day or two subbing somewher and then you would know straight away if you could stick it.......so i did that...and i loved it...and although its an intensive course with lots of hours(which is why you would really wanna be here!!and be thinking of the finished goal- being a teacher) pats itself has great atmosphere and lots of fun along with all the stress!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cath66

thanks for that. Sounds like its your dream job !

Could you tell me what your timetable is like for the postgrad? do you have many hours in college. Also for the interview to get in ... is your irish really good ? A lot of people said they failed the irish but passed the interview part.

Cheers !

yeah pretty much!!:D
    im not doin postgrad but you can look up the timetable for all courses all years etc on www.spd.dcu.ie and on right hand side it has timetables....

i know people who did the postgrad and i would think its going to get harder and harder to get in with sooo many applying and so little places!!
    i would think the irish would be vital and it would defo be a huge step in the interviews....there are people goin into the interviews with their original degree in irish so thats who you would be up against...
    but its all practice!!!!:)
    you cant win if you're not in so you may aswell apply and work on your irish in the meantime.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cath66

Thats what i am telling myself ! Thanks for that. Im hoping Irish isnt the be all and end all for them. Personally I think it should be a small part of what they are looking for. Experience with children, relevant degree and obviously personality would be what i would look for. Irish can be acquired during the course . Anyone agree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Teaching is tough and emotional... Can be soo stressful and some times you can feel like the biggest bitch in the world and want to bang your head off the wall or scream the place down. There is such a HUGE responsibility to it too.

Other times it's great.. tons of fun, so rewarding, and the kids can just melt you with the surprise hugs and cute stuff they say. You get to be your own boss, are responsible for yourself and the hours are sweet.

Like any job, there are plenty of pros and cons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

anyone who goes for the postgrad teaching is probably going to be pretty good all round except in the Irish part so its an easy way to sort the good from the great.

if you can at all practice your conversational irish as much as possible, the more you speak the better you will get, even if its just a little a day because as another poster said you will be up against people with a degree in Irish!

Irish may not be a huge part of the whole selection process however it can be the deciding factor. Loads of people will have all the other essential elements, the personality, the experience with children e.t.c so the one thing that can differenciate them is their abilities in Irish.

At the end of the day its a pretty important factor, your going to be using it for the rest of your life in the job so its a MAJOR advantage to be good at it from the start.

Speak as much as possible, its the only way to improve, books wont do much for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 gramhar

sounds great, but would you be extremely bored??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

of course every primary teacher loves their job....because its an easy number! why do you think so many are getting into it.... 14 wks holiday a year?! 6 hour working days!? easiest job out there...

hey stardust
    i presume you are just trying to stir ****!!!
    have you ever looked after up to 30 kids for six hours...its a lot bloody harder than sitting on yer arse at a desk or whateva for only 2 extra hours!!
    and you dont just do those hours work....you correct work, prepare for every day.....i'd like to see you try to keep 30 children interested in something for 6 hours a day and ensure they are learning also....this is not even taking into account dealing with children's personal problems, parents, management and discipline etc etc.....
    and the fact that the course to even become a teacher is one of the most intensive out there!!!
    so how about you have a little think before you talk outta ur backside again!!!
    and you achieved what you wanted if you were looking to rise people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

yeah i have looked after 30 kids for 6 hrs a day... i sub teached in primary schools for a year for the dosh. i did it because it was easy...its just my opinion. i have many friends in teaching who claim its the best job in the world because of the working hrs and holidays...im just stating the facts..

• Advertisement

well i think its the best job in the world too but that doesnt mean its the easiest...obviously anything is easier if you love doing it!!
    believe me i adore it!!!:D:Dand wouldnt do anything else!!!but that doesnt mean that it doesnt come with hard bits too!!!
    i also know plenty of ppl who couldnt do it for an hour!!not to mind any longer!!its all about passion i think!!
    and subbing is a lot different than having your own class or having to prepare etc...lots of subbing doesnt involve any prep!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

yeah i have looked after 30 kids for 6 hrs a day... i sub teached in primary schools for a year for the dosh. i did it because it was easy...its just my opinion. i have many friends in teaching who claim its the best job in the world because of the working hrs and holidays...im just stating the facts..
    subbing is handy, no reponsibilty bar keeping the children in the oom,real teaching is different. 30 junior infants, teach them to read and write..much less make sure they are learning at their own level.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

i sub teached in primary schools for a year for the dosh

The Irish Education System must be sorry to have lost you :rolleyes: You were clearly destined for better things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mikec123

<snip>

you get once chance to post this... if i find it elsewhere you're banned for spamming

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lizzie8

I agree..anyone that finds primary teaching an easy job an is only doing it for the 'dosh' is obviously not doing the job properly..and if you arent even qualified then of course your goin to see it as a handy number simply because you dont even know what your doing an whats really involved and required of you in the job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭PainIsTemporary

of course every primary teacher loves their job....because its an easy number! why do you think so many are getting into it.... 14 wks holiday a year?! 6 hour working days!? easiest job out there...

Arrived in school today this morning at 7:30. Left at 17:30 (I was not the first to arrive and I was not the last to leave). Today was a typical day in a typical week (and the same applies to my colleagues). Will end up putting down a few hours in school again tomorrow and thats a typical weekend. My father is a teacher. My sister is a teacher. This is not uncommon. As for the work/planning/corrections done outside of school that's another matter entirely. As regards the holidays, last summer I got 2 weeks of a holiday. Every other day was spent in school with administration, preparation, and planning for the year ahead.

quote=stardust_dublin;57960087] easiest job out there...[/quote]

???

Today I was verbally abused and threatened with physical violence from a student in my class. I love my job. It is my vocation and I give it everything I have to give. Please don't generalise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mishka2008

As a NQT i have to say that teaching is a challenge! some days i absolutely love my class and my job and other days i feel like banging my head against a wall...! the first year is very hard with the dip and all the plans etc but i'm told it gets easier after the first year! as im doing the dip my job is absolutely not a 9 to 3 job! i might go home at half 4 or 5, have dinner and then start work again for the following day! never ending!

Advertisement