Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Medical Advice

Options
  • 12-10-2008 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi there!

I've quite some time before I can enroll in the P.S.N.I as I am only 14 years of age, but, there's a constant worry playing on my mind about the medical.

I'm an asthmatic but it really doesn't affect my running or my day-to-day life, I've had very few attacks, but I can control it quite well (To be honest, they were more panic attacks back when I was young). My mother is an asthmatic, and bless her, she passed it to me (thanks mum...).

I'm real worried as I've wanted to join the P.S.N.I - it's kinda the life-long dream?

I'd appreciate the help, and honesty. I'm going to get many fitness tests done over the next few years by my G.P to see what he thinks.

Thanks!

James, Antrim (N.I)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Unfortunately James I cannot help with your query, though im sure that someone will answer you soon who can. I dont have asthma nor have I yet had my medical so im pretty clueless. I dont think there would be a problem as long as you can pass the spirometer test (lung capacity thingymebobber). You have at least another 3 years untill you can apply for your dream career and the medical requirement could well change by that stage anyway.

However James i admire your determination and your aspirations to be a 'peeler', it's good to think about these things when you are young. So i wish you all the best anyway. Keep on imaging yourself driving a cop car and someday it WILL come true.

PYG
    xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

James_UK wrote: »
    Hi there!

I've quite some time before I can enroll in the P.S.N.I as I am only 14 years of age, but, there's a constant worry playing on my mind about the medical.

I'm an asthmatic but it really doesn't affect my running or my day-to-day life, I've had very few attacks, but I can control it quite well (To be honest, they were more panic attacks back when I was young). My mother is an asthmatic, and bless her, she passed it to me (thanks mum...).

I'm real worried as I've wanted to join the P.S.N.I - it's kinda the life-long dream?

I'd appreciate the help, and honesty. I'm going to get many fitness tests done over the next few years by my G.P to see what he thinks.

Thanks!

James, Antrim (N.I)

wouldny worry bout it dude. i had bad asthma when i was that age. over the last few years it has lessened. i still have to take 1 inhaler. however as long as the condition is under control with medication and it doesnt affect you too much there is nothin to worry bout. i passed my medical. you have to be a bad asthmatic to fail i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭James_UK

Unfortunately James I cannot help with your query, though im sure that someone will answer you soon who can. I dont have asthma nor have I yet had my medical so im pretty clueless. I dont think there would be a problem as long as you can pass the spirometer test (lung capacity thingymebobber). You have at least another 3 years untill you can apply for your dream career and the medical requirement could well change by that stage anyway.

However James i admire your determination and your aspirations to be a 'peeler', it's good to think about these things when you are young. So i wish you all the best anyway. Keep on imaging yourself driving a cop car and someday it WILL come true.

PYG
    xx

Hi there PYG!

That was such a nice message, thanks ever so much! I've not heard someone think of it that way, you've really boosted the determination that little bit more, thanks!

Take care xx

Penis Eye wrote: »
    wouldny worry bout it dude. i had bad asthma when i was that age. over the last few years it has lessened. i still have to take 1 inhaler. however as long as the condition is under control with medication and it doesnt affect you too much there is nothin to worry bout. i passed my medical. you have to be a bad asthmatic to fail i think!

I can control mine, it did play up a little a month ago, 1 night in hospital, probably because I had a bad infection (Normal Virus, anyone can get) so It set it off a little, but I will be doing a hell of a lot to control it.

Thanks so much for the advice, very much appreciated! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

No probs James, we are all here to help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

I have had asthma my whole lofe and i have my medical next week. Mine doesn't affect my day to day life, as long as i take my inhalers and rest when i have a cold to avoid a chest infection.

I don't mean to sound patronising, but as you get older you will realise what your personal triggers are and what to avoid. As a precaution i got my doctor to write on my form that my asthma isn't caused by exercise, but by allergies. (which is mostly true)

If it's any consolation, my cousin is asthmatic and he's a Sgt in Mobile Response....

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was told that too. I've been told not to let it rule my life, but to rule it, so just take the inhalers when I need it.

Thanks for the comment Panda!

Does anyone know how long training last for? I heard it was 24 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Yeah, I was told that too. I've been told not to let it rule my life, but to rule it, so just take the inhalers when I need it.

Thanks for the comment Panda!

Does anyone know how long training last for? I heard it was 24 weeks?

Training lasts for 31 weeks. You do 21 weeks in Garnerville, which you live in for the first four weeks, getting home at the weekend. Then you do another 10 weeks at other locations and this is your firearms,driving,first aid etc. You will also get a weeks leave rostered in during this 10 ten week stint.

Not as long as I was expecting to be honest I'm so excited even know it's years away. Is it difficult to get into the stages etc? I'm worried about failing.

If you fail like once, can you re-apply another time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Not as long as I was expecting to be honest I'm so excited even know it's years away. Is it difficult to get into the stages etc? I'm worried about failing.

If you fail like once, can you re-apply another time?

Most of us have to re-apply dude! It is hard to get in first time-very hard! Few do! keep at it though, be well worth it!

Oh really! Lol, never knew that. :p

Non RC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Oh really! Lol, never knew that. :p

Non RC?

Here is the mother of all re-applying stories. This came directly from a SGT in the PSNI. A lady who worked in the station. Possibly admin, or possibly even a part-timer, applied 15 times before getting in! The moral of that story is, you WILL get in if your determined enough.

Lol! I'm hoping it doesn't take that long, what parts to people fail on? Like the open test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

This is my first time and i'm surprised to have gotten this far. I know guys who have applied 4 and 5 times and still can't get past the A/C.

Advertisement