Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to start Renault Laguna without keycard

Options
  • 12-10-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Ok short of it is the dog just ate my key card does anyone know how to start car without it Please:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sit the dog down and wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

441-25.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I don't think you can start it without it, you'll have to get a new one from renault and have the garage code it for you...
    Someone else may know more here...
    Best of luck, you have my sympathy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Sit the dog down and wait.

classic,just like prison break:D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

I don't think there's a quick-fire hot-wire solution, I'm afraid..

Had a similar problem a couple of years ago and had no skeleton key to order a new Renault Key-card, so had to get my car towed into local Renault garage in Blanch and wait about 3-4 days for a new key-card to be sorted out..

Having a skeleton key means you will save on towing charges of around €90, but the key card itself will cost about €220.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have you tried holding the dog up close to the ignition switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not really familiar with these things ... does the key card have to be put into something,a slot or something like that, in the car or is it a keyless entry type thing where you just have to have it somewhere near the car. If so, you'll just have to take the dog everywhere with you until nature takes it's course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's a slot you put it in in the laguna but I don't know if that does anything besides be a convenient place to store the card :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

If you have keyless entry, just put the dog in the car....
    Otherwise its a sit and wait.. although if its a key card itll probably be pretty banjaxed when it comes out.. given the electronics inside..
    Fair play to the dog.. its not a small thing to eat...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thanks everyone I think Im going to have to ring AA I hope they come out as Im stuck Cavan and have to get back to Dublin,stupid dog :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm very sorry, but I' just fell off my chair laughing:D:D:D:D

Try holding the dog near the gearstick and see if the car will start as usual. This will work for the Focus anyways (not with the dog obvioulsy, but in general)

When people ask why you brought your dog to work tomorrow, you can tell them that it's more than just a dog, it's a car key:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

They are hard enough to start with the card never mind not having one

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would imagine you do not have a spare key.

I imagine it was easy enough to go into the dog but wont be so easy to go out. You know square plug round hole(excuse the pun).

When it does come out the other end at least you can get the mini key out of it to unlock the doors at least. That will save the dealership having to order a special order key. The can just supply you with the housing with your vehicles code. They will likely charge you the same amount(being Renault dealers) but at least you will be back to 100% as fast as possible.

BTW, how much do you like that dog? I mean you must have a lot of kitchen knives?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stephen wrote: »
    There's a slot you put it in in the laguna but I don't know if that does anything besides be a convenient place to store the card :)

With the last one I drove, you had to actually put the key into the slot before the car would start.
    reb73 wrote:
    Having a skeleton key means you will save on towing charges of around €90, but the key card itself will cost about €220.

Good old Renault. The card probably has about 50c worth of electronics in it. They must make more on the after-sales service of their cars than the cars themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Stark wrote: »
    With the last one I drove, you had to actually put the key into the slot before the car would start.

Just put the dog into the slot. He might not like it and may bite you but it's worth a try.

Thats classic though.

"Sorry I didnt make it into work boss, the dog ate my car key"

And I thought that excuse went out with homework. Legend !

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Well Im so glad you all find this so amusing. I do have a spare key but its in Dublin. Im stranded in all places Cavan.Well Im waiting for the AA and the bloke on the phone said I maybe able to get towed in the morning:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

texas star wrote: »
    Well Im so glad you all find this so amusing. I do have a spare key but its in Dublin. Im stranded in all places Cavan.Well Im waiting for the AA and the bloke on the phone said I maybe able to get towed in the morning:eek:

Would it not have been quicker and easier to get someone to come down whit it?
    TBH first thing I'd have done seeing as it happened at 11 this morning was hop on a bus if I couldnt get someone to bring it. Pain in the hole but at least it wont impact the pocket and or work too much.

Just to clarify, did he actually swallow it whole or chew it to bits? I would have thought it would take a pretty big dog to swallow it.
    Stark wrote: »

Good old Renault. The card probably has about 50c worth of electronics in it. They must make more on the after-sales service of their cars than the cars themselves!

You obviously havnt checked key prices for any make recently, Gone are the days of just getting a generic blank key blade and getting one cut in the local key cutters. Security costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Your shocked we find this funny?

Have you ever seen "Gone in Seconds Seconds".

Priceless. I can imagine you fishing through your dogs "waste". I will sleep soundly tonight knowing this.

Hey, I locked my keys in the car two weekends ago with the battery on. Had to bend the door put a metal bar in and push down on the elec window button. Took 3 hours. I know the pain. Stopped short of putting a brick through the window because AA said the car was too new and couldnt get through the deadbolt. I know the pain of taking the car for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

Berty wrote: »
    Your shocked we find this funny?

Hey, I locked my keys in the car two weekends ago with the battery on. Had to bend the door put a metal bar in and push down on the elec window button. Stopped short of putting a brick through the window because AA said the car was too new and couldnt get through the deadbolt.

So instead of simply breaking one window and paying 100-150 euros for the repair you actually deformed the steel door frame to get in ?:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Zombie thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement