Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to market my company

Options
  • 12-10-2008 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

To give you an overview, my company is CityLocal Cork. We're a cross between a community website, providing things like competitions, local Cork News, Events, Cinema Listings - all for Free. Then we have the commercial aspect, which is a business directory. The main selling feature of the business directory is businesses listed with us, we get their listing onto page 1 of Google for their products and services.

Once I meet a business owner (or marketing manager depending on the size of the company) the conversion rate is very high. The service we are offering is very inexpensive compared to normal SEO.

So I need to increase my leads. My target market would be any business within Co Cork (or any business that wants to advertise in Co Cork). If the business owner understands the Internet, that helps too.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

The main selling feature of the business directory is businesses listed with us, we get their listing onto page 1 of Google for their products and services

I can't see how you can stand over that statement - for all people listed in your directory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cork Local

Well I can and I do - what can I say... do a search on Google for Cork Landscapers, Cork Kitchens, Cork Archtects, or even ultimate pizza - let me know where we appear (which page).

I am not getting into this - seriously. Thats fantastic for Landscapers and Kitchen Supplies and justifiably a lot of the categories in the directory - but not all as you stated - and i was simply pointing out that it could be a dangerous selling point.

Ok, thanks blue4ever - point noted.

Just fot the clarity of this thread I have 100% retention which I am sure wouldn't be the case if my claims are incorrect - however I dont offer any guarantee purely because I am in the hands of the Google algorithms.

If you have any marketing idea's I would be interested to hear.

Ok, thanks blue4ever - point noted.

Just fot the clarity of this thread I have 100% retention which I am sure wouldn't be the case if my claims are incorrect - however I dont offer any guarantee purely because I am in the hands of the Google algorithms.

If you have any marketing idea's I would be interested to hear.

!!! Considering I ran a directory business (old school) for a good few years, got grey hair too early in life, an ulcer, untold grief and lord knows what else -therefore on the advice of council.....

Good luck - nice site btw

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Doubt my hair will have the chance to go grey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Let me give you my experience with this type of advertising. I am running a small business and am constantly being contacted by all sorts of advertising agencies, poster makers, pen makers, online directories, magazine distributors etc etc.

I have always found that what you get with these companies are always feck all for what you are paying. Advertising can be very expensive and one really needs to be very careful about who you spend money with. I always tell these ppl to email their proposals so I can read them in my own time without them giving me a selling pitch.

I guess you need to make your service stand out in a crowd.

Today I was contacted by yourlocal.ie whom i submitted my site as a link to, and they quoted me €660 to be number 4 on their list for "computer maintenance". how can they justify this when the same money can be spent on 5 reasonably sized ads in a local paper that would drum up business from lots of new customers.

On the other side, I don't know citylocals prices but if you google "computer repair in limerick" i come up second and guess who is in first place!

Over 80% of my business comes from google searches and if citylocal can provide good search engine positions then it is a keen selling point. But as blue4ever mentioned, you cannot really make a blatant statement that you can get anyone on page 1 of google.

this may not apply to you OP but with the amount of money ppl spend with advertising companies you would think they would visit you in person. It is always better than hearing from someone in a call centre who has no interest in the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

To answer the OP's question, I'd recommend networking at as many business networking events as possible. You're in B2B, and B2B is about relationships and referrals above all else.

-

Moderation note: we should be careful not to tout overtly for business on this forum . Share knowledge and attract business that way, but if anyone wants to advertise on boards, emailing sales @boards.ie is the way to go about it. I apply this rule to myself as well.

Let me give you my experience with this type of advertising. I am running a small business and am constantly being contacted by all sorts of advertising agencies, poster makers, pen makers, online directories, magazine distributors etc etc.

I have always found that what you get with these companies are always feck all for what you are paying. Advertising can be very expensive and one really needs to be very careful about who you spend money with. I always tell these ppl to email their proposals so I can read them in my own time without them giving me a selling pitch.

I guess you need to make your service stand out in a crowd.

Today I was contacted by yourlocal.ie whom i submitted my site as a link to, and they quoted me €660 to be number 4 on their list for "computer maintenance". how can they justify this when the same money can be spent on 5 reasonably sized ads in a local paper that would drum up business from lots of new customers.

On the other side, I don't know citylocals prices but if you google "computer repair in limerick" i come up second and guess who is in first place!

Over 80% of my business comes from google searches and if citylocal can provide good search engine positions then it is a keen selling point. But as blue4ever mentioned, you cannot really make a blatant statement that you can get anyone on page 1 of google.

this may not apply to you OP but with the amount of money ppl spend with advertising companies you would think they would visit you in person. It is always better than hearing from someone in a call centre who has no interest in the product.

Hi Unnameduser,

Thanks for your insight from a businesses perspective.

I think to date I have visited all my customers, something I like to do, to understand their business and so that I'm not a faceless call centre.

Good to hear where we come for "computer repair in limerick".

Much appreciated.

Paul

Trojan wrote: »
    To answer the OP's question, I'd recommend networking at as many business networking events as possible. You're in B2B, and B2B is about relationships and referrals above all else.

-

Moderation note: we should be careful not to tout overtly for business on this forum . Share knowledge and attract business that way, but if anyone wants to advertise on boards, emailing sales @boards.ie is the way to go about it. I apply this rule to myself as well.

Hi Trojan,

Again more good advice. I am in BNI and it is working well for me, do you know similar organisations?

Thanks again,

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hi Trojan,

Again more good advice. I am in BNI and it is working well for me, do you know similar organisations?

Thanks again,

Paul

I know quite a few in Dublin, but not familiar with Cork. Ask your local enterprise board, and google a few things like "cork business networking" etc.

Trojan wrote: »
    I know quite a few in Dublin, but not familiar with Cork. Ask your local enterprise board, and google a few things like "cork business networking" etc.
    Thanks Trojan,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Isn't this a UK Franchise? Did it cost much ? How long are you doing? Is Forum/Board marketing well :)

I always thought Directories do (should) make use of SEO to add value to their customers. Does

There are many national directories Ireland using this already (Golden Pages, Va Zu Mo, The Health Clinic, etc)

You don't show for "Search Engine Optimisation" Cork but I do :)

Search in Google for "Search Engine Optimisation" and you get Search Engine Optimisation Cork

I am guessing your entry is more about the links than the questions, but please correct me if I am wrong...

I'm not on P1 for "Search Engine Optimisation Cork" because I don't want to be. I don't consider this as my primary function, more of an (important) by-product of listing in my directory. I don't perform SEO in it's purest sence (i.e. someone else's website) I optimise my own site. Do a search for Cork Business Directory and see where I come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

I would advise becoming a visible member of the community in the off-line sense, such as becoming an active member of the chamber of commerce, running an article in the local newspapers/business magazines - that way you raise your visibility with businesses and can pitch your benefits through more networking opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

Looks like I did it the hard way, should have bought a franchise myself. :(

Selling premium content is particularly hard if you're not a natural sales person (like myself) and it is hard to compete with better known directories, even if you might offer a better service. I've found my directory has been more of a 'get poor slow' project rather than 'get rich quick', but I think you have to be patient with these things. All the best.
    Today I was contacted by yourlocal.ie whom i submitted my site as a link to, and they quoted me €660 to be number 4 on their list for "computer maintenance".

Don't see how they can possibly justify that considering they never get listed organically on Google.

Thanks Andywozhere,

Like your site too.

I know it's hard work (updating the content), or at least I appreciate that now! It's definately not a get rich scheme but I'm ahead of my forecast so happy enough. Want to get the ball rolling a bit quicker, hence the original post.

I think you are dead right, need to be patient and build up. Would be keen to know a little more your experience if you dont mind a PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

fire ahead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

ok here goes.
    Dear mister localcorkcity,
    you are great ,wonderful and super .
    does that massage your ego enough this tread is a complete advert of how great you think you are. you ask for advice yet tell every one "well i am already number one.."
    i visit all my clients personally (must have very few as a directory lists all )
    and oh yes i have already done that,
    simply amazing your a master class in business
    thank you
    but please small note
    if you ask for advice prepare to listen please

Thanks for your thoughts Mr Albert Bundy.

For your information since the original post I have been speak with two people who have posted on this thread, both being very informative and I am very appreciative of their constructive help/advice. Neither are potential clients so they didn't treat this as a "complete advert".

I think it is normal for me to already comment on what I am doing and what my USP is, but sorry if my thread offends you in anyway - that wasn't the intention, however, as I said I got value from the input I have received.
    ok here goes.
    Dear mister localcorkcity,
    you are great ,wonderful and super .
    does that massage your ego enough this tread is a complete advert of how great you think you are. you ask for advice yet tell every one "well i am already number one.."
    i visit all my clients personally (must have very few as a directory lists all )
    and oh yes i have already done that,
    simply amazing your a master class in business
    thank you
    but please small note
    if you ask for advice prepare to listen please

• Advertisement

Oh come on your now sounding like daniel o donnell really do you think for one minute i found your tread offensive ..or is it easy for you to try potray it that way,to hide your blatent self promotion.. not even your service with i could understand but you...
    i think you love your mirror my friend.
    and if you need advice on marketing and you are already on page number one in google,
    do you not think you require professional advice ,

Oh come on your now sounding like daniel o donnell really do you think for one minute i found your tread offensive ..or is it easy for you to try potray it that way,to hide your blatent self promotion.. not even your service with i could understand but you...
    i think you love your mirror my friend.
    and if you need advice on marketing and you are already on page number one in google,
    do you not think you require professional advice ,

have you looked at some of your own posts ‘Al’ since we are in the topic of self promotion!

haha blue perhaps but not me personally company perhaps but not me personally and if you are in business for yourself you will understand thats a huge difference ..but ok fair point

Advertisement