Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna run?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Against my better judgement... (because I am more a couch potato than an athelete....) I have got this notion in my head that I want to train to be able do a 5k/3ml run.... not for a marathon and for no good reason or event in particular... I have never been a runner before... and reckon I will never be a fast runner....

BUT I want to get fit!!! I found this website and am planning to follow this programme. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I realise there are probably 100's of different sites out there with similiar and differing advice... but this is the first one I found and it sounds doable without killing myself. (fingers crossed).

So the reason I am here is.... I was wondering if perhaps there might be a couple of other couch potatoes out there who would like to get off their asses and try something similar? I plan to do the training on the pitch across from Portlaoise prison. It's 3 x 1/2 hour sessions per week... I would be willing to meet up at 1/4 to 7ish in the am... any morning of the week.... or... Mon, Wed, Fri at say 6.00 or 7pm would work for me at the moment.

The following I think would be the criteria, in no particular order:

1. There must be at least one other 'lady' willing to do this...

2. Anyone willing to do this would have to be a complete beginner, so that there aren't big differences in ability.

3. I think it would be wise to have a minimum of 4 people to go out with... seeing as we are all strangers here. Safety in numbers I'm thinking....

4. Anyone willing to do this would have to realise that I am not a trainer/doctor. I am not going to pretend I know anything at all about sport or fitness. You will be responsible for your own well being, from checking with your doctor to see if this programme would suit you to the footwear you use or pre-existing illnesses, or even having the sense to stop pushing yourself on the day if you're not feeling up to it. You know the type of thing. The only reason I was thinking of doing this as a group was as a motivational tool to help persuade each other to stick to the 3 sessions a week.

5. Anyone doing it would have to be considerate of the fitness levels of everyone else in the group. I am not interested in making a show of anyone who is struggling. I think it would be wise to stick to the programme as printed on the website mentioned above. If over time the group splinters up into different groups with different aims then so be it. But initially we are all beginners who are out to support each other, NOT compete with each other & put the other off.

I'm just thinking of the demands on our time here, and am wondering if another alternative would be to have just one meeting a week if it proves difficult to agree on a schedule, while we do our own thing on our own time the other two days.

What do you think??? Anyone interested????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭token56

Have you tried talking to anyone in the athletics club in town, they generally meet in the athletics track at 7pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. I realise this may not fit into your schedule but even to go up one night and talk to some of the adults up their and see if they go on any other runs that would suit your schedule and I am sure they do.

And if it fits into your schedule on a Saturday at around 11:15am there is normally a good group who train in Stradballly (Oughaval) Woods. Its a nice 2.5 mile loop with some nice hills for building up strenght and people of all levels train there.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I'd definitely recommend Oughaval woods on a Saturday morning if you can make it. It's a very friendly group, and as token56 says there's all levels at it. It's a tough 2.5 miles, but you can take it at whatever pace suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Re: Oughaval woods

Thanks for that guys. I'm a bit concerned that it'd still be way out of my league... I don't want to feel bullied and useless all at the same time!!! :-) I've plans for the next two Saturday's as it happens... but I might pop over there the following one.... and who knows... if I stick with the programme as per the link above in the mean time I might actually not feel such a total fool when I get there.

I know of a fair few people who found the couch to 5k programme to be very good, so best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭runningman

Best of luck with it, the main thing is to keep going even when you feel lazy - don't make up excuses to not go cos once you do it once its easier and easier not to keep it up. I'm sure you'll be grand though. If you want some basic coaching (very basic stuff nothing fancy!) PM me.

Late in replying I know... but thanks RM. I have been making excuses already.... but I'm not a lost cause yet... (Ye see? this was the reasoning behind having the support of others :)) I haven't been a total couch potatoe tho.....

Good to hear your trying anyway, keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

The pitch across from Portlaoise prison is fine during the summer but this time of year it is too wet.
    I was up there the other night for a run and its difficult in a number of places becuase the pitch is waterlogged.

Thanks for that. I have gone a couple of times with good intentions and ended up sticking to the roads. Sometimes because there was a match , and I'd have felt like a plonker!! ...and others because it was too late (dark) to head in there even with my trusty very friendly dog! On another note... does anyone have any reccomendations for appropriate footware, without spending a small fortune?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Hi ms k sir a,

this probably wont interest you but here goes. I am involved with a local voluntary group and a few of us have decided to run/walk next years dublin city marathon.
    Generally our fitness level is pretty poor but one of the guys is a serious runner and is going to train us.

Seeing as its for charity it would be expected to raise money.

If you interested (or anyone else) you can PM me.

P.s. There are women involved:D

Actually I might be interested...

Couple of questions:

Where are you located/or where do you train?
    Is there a preset figure you are asking individuals to raise?
    What charity are you planning on raising the money from>

Cheers

:)

FOR even... :-)

Everyone has their own favourite running shoe, I used to be an ascis man but changed over to nike recently. The important thing is that you get something comfortable - not too tight or your feet'll swell up or too loose cos you'll trip yourself up. Try get a pair with a gel/air cushion in the sole as it helps with the impact.

On another note if you find your getting pains in the front of your legs your getting the dreaded shin splints - the best way to avoid them is do toe taps (just like tapping your toe - up as high as possible and down as low as possible) - do a few before you go and if your at your desk do a few there as well. Might sound stupid but worth avoiding the pain later!

Ah yes... I've suffered from shin splints in the past... thankfully not for too long though... I never knew there was a toe tapping solution mind.... Ta for that... I've been doing more hill climbing than running... but hey.. better than nothing.

:-)

thanks again.

Ms K Sir A wrote: »
    On another note... does anyone have any reccomendations for appropriate footware, without spending a small fortune?

I think brand of shoe is pretty much a personal thing. I started out in New Balance, moved to Nike and am now a dedicated Asics convert.

The most important thing is to make sure you get the correct type of shoe for your running style. Generally, shoes are designed either for pronators (whose feet turn inwards when they run) or for neutral runners (whose feet don't!) If you can find a shop that will assess your running style and has a range of different shoe brands, you should find something suitable. There are quite a few of them in Dublin. Anyone know of any more local ones?

Advertisement