Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

costing for sites

Options
  • 11-10-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hey I was wondering what I should start charging for sites - I currently do them for relatively cheap to promote my name/designs

here is a link to a site I have done recently www.wcpos.org/test.asp

(hasnt been launched live yet hence the test.asp)

Interested in what the standard people think the site is at and what the cost should be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Anywhere from 500 Euro to 25-30000 euro.
    Don't take it as a smart comment but that all depends on the website requirements...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

If you have prior experiece to building a website, then go by an hourly rate for future projects of similar construction. That hourly rate varies upon expertise, location in the country, and other factors, and I have seen prices range from €30 to €100 per hour. I am not going to identify my own hourly rate, but the average seems to be €45 to €70 an hour for those I know and work with.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

cheers for the feedback

Question what additional charges do you make if you have db work in the site
    I have a couple of sites which allows users to update amend and delete stories for their particular sections on the site.

I usually charge 300 for the addition of this service but think I may be underselling myself.

I provided a whole system for a company to maintain info on their users this system included the standard add amend and delete and allow allows to drill down reporting on based on dynamic critera (php and sql based). All for 300 - let me know your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Isn't that design the same as the last one you posted up here? Are you using templates or just re using the design?

My opinion is that your stuff isn't at professional level yet. You're making websites by copying other sites, you don't really seem to get key aspects of design from an aesthetic, practical, or business point of view.

You could probably charge a little bit more for larger sites, or ones with dynamic stuff, but overall, you need to raise your game if you want to earn better money doing this.

Sorry bit mislead by you points the only sites that I remember posting here are
    www.brabazonsolicitors.com
    www.wcpos.org/test.asp
    and www.swordslife.com / swordslife.com/design

Now from my reckoning none of these sites look the same? dont get me wrong I take your point in that I may be lacking the cutting edge - but thats more down to I cant charge higher prices to attain higher quality stock pics so I have to do it on the budget that I have.

Just getting a little defensive I know but I feel I done have the design skills and the developemt skills to back them up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

swordsinfo wrote: »
    Sorry bit mislead by you points the only sites that I remember posting here are
    www.brabazonsolicitors.com
    www.wcpos.org/test.asp
    and www.swordslife.com / swordslife.com/design

Now from my reckoning none of these sites look the same? dont get me wrong I take your point in that I may be lacking the cutting edge - but thats more down to I cant charge higher prices to attain higher quality stock pics so I have to do it on the budget that I have.

Just getting a little defensive I know but I feel I done have the design skills and the developemt skills to back them up

Charge higher prices to attain higher quality stock pics? Where do you usually get your stock pics and how much do you spend? Look at the likes of istock which is more than adequate for high quality pics and you can buy credits as you go, i dont see how fancier images will make you in your own words more cutting edge.

I dont think your work is that bad, and you admit yourself your not the cream of the crop yet or anything.

Also i think you should look at getting your own website and not using the design section on the swordslife website, you would stand out better on your own and having your own identity. Keep at it though!

Cheers for the post
    no matter how good your site layout is the images sell it - I find and the better images cost more the best I have seen about are on corbis but way too expensive for the prices I charge. Its these pics plus bg pics that give a site a look above the rest which for me is the cutting edge in site design and dev.

Point taken re the design site - swordslife started out as a small project that I piggybacked on but now has gotten bigger and bigger. Have it hosted with a american host so will look to see whats involved in creating an alias for the design section

Once again thanks for your comments I can get defensive only cause I enjoy what I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

swordsinfo wrote: »
    Cheers for the post
    no matter how good your site layout is the images sell it

that's nonsense. I have a very well regarded homepage, without one single stock image. The 90's are over. I think you need to study the fundamentals of design more, and I'm not attacking you, but blanket statements like that are just wrong.

I beg to show me otherwise!
    No offence but like they say a pic tells a 1000 words so decent pics sell a site more than just ps graphics! Maybe its down to personal opinion but for informational sites its the pics that sell it all

pics? look at any gallery sites for good design and see how many use these 'pics' you mention.

For example:
    http://www.css-website.com/

First page, I only count 2 stock photographs, and even with them removed the design would still be solid. You have a lot to learn tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

heggie wrote: »
    that's nonsense. I have a very well regarded homepage, without one single stock image. The 90's are over. I think you need to study the fundamentals of design more, and I'm not attacking you, but blanket statements like that are just wrong.

+1 Well said Heggie

heggie wrote: »
    pics? look at any gallery sites for good design and see how many use these 'pics' you mention.

For example:
    http://www.css-website.com/

First page, I only count 2 stock photographs, and even with them removed the design would still be solid. You have a lot to learn tbh.

no offense but get the boat! Have a look at the designs pick out the best two both have stock imagery! so I stand by what "I" say that imagery sells your site. Pro stock imagery provides a higher level of this - not sayinh that it needs it in every site but when you have a text based information site that in this case docs what to see all info up front then I think stock is the way to go! Want to use take out quotes or what ever fine but to sell it "I" think imagery is important

Maybe you feel you can compensate for your lack of design skills by adding photos, but even that doesn't cut it.

maybe but then again I dont see you backing up your comments with your site examples. Thats fair enough too seen as I requested comments on my site but to be quite honest your comments dont really provide much info or guide to me or other except to maybe adds a little to your ego.

I take your point that not every site needs stock as I already stated but you input is vague blank and useless

I gave you a whole PAGE of examples. I don't need to post my or my clients sites, and I don't mind doing so in the right channels, but in a 'costing for sites' thread, I would rather not. I don't need to back anything up to you, I just find it funny the amount of amateurs that come on boards, ask for advice on sites, then suddenly they are the expert!

You have a lot to learn, the sooner you accept that, the sooner you can do that - learn.

If not, keep churning out poorly designed sites, because ultimately, that just means more business for the professional designers that in a year or two later are requested to redesign amateur sites properly.

and what have you to offer say for example? Maybe if you didnt put yourself on such a high perch then maybe we could have a discussion. Funnily enough you said it yourself its a costing thread and you haven't mentioned costing once ??

Listen I know I have a heap to learn the joys of working with the web but I don't find the comments will help me do that? I post up my work as I tend to be happy with it and am always looking to improve on it but can you say the comments are going to help produce something better for my next one?

Not interested in petty rows and like I say I can get pretty defensive so I do apologise and I do appreciate what you have to say even if I go on a rant right after - if you have any sites you want to point me that you think I may gain from let me know

Thanks
    B

I'm not in the business of tutoring people to design websites, and I've already previously given my reasoning for not posting on this thread. If you really wanted to find sites I've done it wouldn't be that difficult. Take or leave any advice given, I don't care, but I only gave my .2c worth when you were making incorrect statements as truth.

I'll leave ya at that so

Advertisement