Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lithium grease - what is it good for?

Options
  • 11-10-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭

When I put my pedals on my new bike (last week), I didn't have any grease to hand. I believe this to be a bad idea.

I picked up some Lithium grease in the LBS today.

Is this an appropriate thing to use it for? I see it's recommended for bottom brackets, bearings etc but can't find any reference to preventing seizing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's what I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yup I use it for everything. Screws, bolts, headset, wheel bearings, bb threads. Local bike shop man said it was fine to use.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Use it for everything too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,409 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Lumen wrote: »
    When I put my pedals on my new bike (last week), I didn't have any grease to hand. I believe this to be a bad idea.

I picked up some Lithium grease in the LBS today.

haha, I went to LBS today specifically to get some too. Finally got egg beaters on my Bowsey!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It's also good for any bolts that may be a little depressed....

sorry, I'll get my coat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What is a good grease to use on carbon fiber components? I was advised by my bike shop not to use regular stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

el tonto wrote: »
    Use it for everything too.

+1

Love the smell of WD40 though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    What is a good grease to use on carbon fiber components? I was advised by my bike shop not to use regular stuff.

Is it a seatpost?
    Love the smell of WD40 though.

Sucks as a lubricant though.

Is it a seatpost?

Tis.

Tis.

According to Craig Calfee at least
    , it's a bit of a myth that you shouldn't grease a carbon post. Problems can occur when you mix a carbon post with alu frame, but greasing is not the issue.

• Advertisement

, it's a bit of a myth that you shouldn't grease a carbon post. Problems can occur when you mix a carbon post with alu frame, but greasing is not the issue.

I had read similar somewhere else. The shop assured me that I should never do it though. Is there a recommended lubricant for carbon fiber?

Edit: actually, that's the same article I read before.

I had read similar somewhere else. The shop assured me that I should never do it though. Is there a recommended lubricant for carbon fiber?

Stuff like this is usuallly recommended if you don't want to use grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

...Absolute-leh nothin'!

(I guess I'm the only one who looked at that title and had the song play in their head? I'll get my coat).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12534958
    Every company recommends against greasing carbon posts.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12534958
    Every company recommends against greasing carbon posts.

In that case, I'd probably listen to them rather than Calfee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can get specific carbon assembly compound but the only place where it has been an issue for me is my carbon seatposts, which I just leave ungreased. Never had any problems doing it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

This book recommends Vaseline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Where would one go about getting this lithium grease?

Wait a sec, LBS = local bike shop doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

yup should be 1 or 2 quid a tube

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Baron_Kunkel

This book recommends Vaseline.

Is vaseline an acceptable substitute for teflon or lithium grease for pedals? Local bike shop recommended it to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement