Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a SUV?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a used SUV and my budget is not too hasty at between €4,000 to €6,000. I want to get an SUV for occasional journeys to some real bad roads and back bohereens around a new farm.

My Criteria are:

Automatic Gearbox, I'm sick of Manuals for good.
    4 Wheel drive, alot of the yummy mummy tanks are only 2 wheel I believe.
    Not a Hyundai
    Diesel,
    Fuel Efficient, A SUV yeah right! :eek: But still I don't want an alcoholic.
    Something that looks good
    Commercial Tax and Cheap VRT if it has to be imported (LWB needed for this) IIRC?
    A Tow Hitch, maybe a winch if it is a Landrover.

I have taken to the farming hobby and recently invested over €750,000 in a farm moving some of my funds from the troubled banks to the old reliable itself!

I like the new Toyota Landcruisers and may buy one in a year or two but want a cheap tidy runaround as I will hardly put up 2 or 3 thousand miles a year on the thing. Just needed to travel to the farm and around it.

any Ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Suzuki Vitara, Toyota Rav4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Isuzu/Trooper/3.1-pass/1106597/ Not sure if it looks good but low enough mileage for an 11 year old and has the proper 3.1 engine on it

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Pajero/2.8TDI-GLS/1120895/ Has a nice few extra bits

While neither of the above are prob great on the juice given the fact that you are looking for a automatic i'd say fuel economy should not be one of your major sticking points. plus if your gonna use it soley for the farm you can use agro diesel in it

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Terrano/2.7-D/1154853/ just because it has air conditioning!!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Slig wrote: »
    Suzuki Vitara, Toyota Rav4

On a farm, you'd spent more time digging them out than working.

Get an old Trooper, built from Iron and go on forever, low range box is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

are they available with commercial tax? Haven't seen any...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

we use a Suzuki Sierra (Vitara) overhere as the Fencin ute, have to say I've never been bogged once and we are driving through the Sub Tropical Rainforests of the Great Dividing Range, course it has an old Datsun 180B motor in it, great little machine, not the most comfortable tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Stevo11 wrote: »
    are they available with commercial tax? Haven't seen any...

A lot of 4x4s are classed commercial.

Advertisement