Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 1.9TDi SE Opinions

Options
  • 10-10-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Folks

Looking at a 1.9tdi passat in belfast, it has 23,000 miles, dealer wants £9750
    which with exchange and VRT comes to €16,540

I got him down from £10,200

What do ye think.....

Is it a winner or can i do better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What year is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Sorry man, its a 2006 one, and actually just cheked the VRT Online and i miscalculated the VRT, its actually €17,500 now, i had 154 down for the C02 but when i rechecked its 157, the differance of 20% vrt and 24% - NUTS......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would you not have a look out for a 2.0TDi, despite the fact that it is a superior engine to the old 1.9 TDi, it also has a lower Co2 ratings meaning lower VRT.

Your one is not so cheap compared to this though:
    http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=6094

A little more mileage but a year younger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

VRT on this car is based on emmissions of 154 as you first stated and not 157I'm also looking at a 2006 Passat but am more interested in the 2.0TDI. I think the 1.9 is a little underpowered for the big body. The 2.0TDI is more refined and has a 6 speed box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,751 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a 2006 2.0 TDI Comfortline Passat - Auto DSG box - and I love it.

Sure they're not perfect but all in all I'm happy with mine anyway. Make sure you get a HPI check done anyway but sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ditcar

I have been looking around for a good while to.. however have found irish dealers matching N.I. prices.. plus warranty etc.

Im looking at this.. http://www.billgriffinmotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1214815
    16,750 best i got sales man at.( i work next door to them and he seemed fairly honest about cheapest price)
    Also looking at an Se in same garage 2007 for 2k more (maybe tempting)
    Popping over to merlin see if they have anything ..otherwise dont think il beat that?
    havnt driven 2.0l do you think it may be worth it..? im coming from a 1.6 so power difference already made me happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,751 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Moanin wrote: »
    I'm also looking at a 2006 Passat but am more interested in the 2.0TDI. I think the 1.9 is a little underpowered for the big body. The 2.0TDI is more refined and has a 6 speed box.

I'd agree with this as well. The current Passat is a lot bigger than the old one (I traded up from a 02 model) and really benefits from the extra 0.1L

They're also rarer here .. every one I see tends to be the bog-standard 1.9 version. The only other 2.0's I see are usually NI/UK regged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Don't buy the Bill Griffin one! It is a boggo base car albeit with allows. No climate, no chrome, manual rear windows, etc. yuk. It has the whiff of a UK car but I may be wrong. At a minimum aim for a Comfortline, the base cars are nasty and you can do much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ditcar

thanks , not hugely worried about spec..coming from basic 1994 banger! really price main thing, only the small new places beating him on naas rd but dont trust them reading other peoples posts.
    Have just glanced at this one in their to,
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI/1222897/

suppose that has more value for my euro?? hadnt really thought about 07 not a reg man! .
    would that spec sell better in future ?
    also hadnt asked ,missus just reminded me ..do they have isofix? cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

ditcar wrote: »
    thanks , not hugely worried about spec..coming from basic 1994 banger! really price main thing, only the small new places beating him on naas rd but dont trust them reading other peoples posts.
    Have just glanced at this one in their to,
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI/1222897/

would that spec sell better in future ?

That one also looks like a UK car, it is an odd spec that we didn't get here, still no climate. Any small dealer bringing in UK diesels would make ME think about clocking, although he may be quite legit.

I know this stuff may not interest you but will make the car harder to sell when you do. I've always felt that UK Passats were one of the few UK cars not worth bringing into ireland, as the specs are way off ours bar the SEL. They have only just got our Highline for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

That one also looks like a UK car, it is an odd spec that we didn't get here, still no climate.

There is air con in it which is much similar.

OP this one is the SE model which is fairly similar to the Irish "Comfortline" spec

ditcar wrote: »
    I have been looking around for a good while to.. however have found irish dealers matching N.I. prices.. plus warranty etc.

Im looking at this.. http://www.billgriffinmotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1214815
    16,750 best i got sales man at.( i work next door to them and he seemed fairly honest about cheapest price)
    Also looking at an Se in same garage 2007 for 2k more (maybe tempting)
    Popping over to merlin see if they have anything ..otherwise dont think il beat that?
    havnt driven 2.0l do you think it may be worth it..? im coming from a 1.6 so power difference already made me happy!

ditcar, that aint a sportline, i know by the look of the seats, i find a lot of that on Carzone, fellas saying a car is sportline or comformtline when its a baseline

There is a couple of ways to know but one sure way is to look at the seats, the lack of a chrome surrrond etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

You are spending a lot of money on a car. Get one with good spec and a good engine. Drop down a year in age if you have to.
    Do not get a base Passat with the 1.9. Get the 2.0 with 140Bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I had an 06 1.9 TDI highline, great car and given all the PC BS about how we should drive, it did the job fine.

Any VW dealer in the ROI is probably sitting on at least 10 to 20 2nd hand Passats at present and would take your hand off to sell you one.

Beware of English spec. cars being sold as higher spec. than they actually are.

English S = Irish Base
    English SE = Irish Comfortline
    English SEL = Irish Highline (although the Irish car was better spec.'ed with 1/2 leather standard). Strange but true!!!

We also got the Sportline, however our Highline was better value.

http://www.volkswagen.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=modelyearDealer&modelID=283

The Co2 emissions vary from Car to car even the same model and engine, when the VRO calculate the VRT they use whatever the Co2 is in the log book and i have seen C02 for vw passats range from 153 to 159, makes a big differance when paying

Got meself a car

A UK, 07 VW Passat 2.0TDi SE, 11,000Miles. Clean car Got a tow bar, plug, relay switch and Mud flaps thrown into the deal.

Thanks for the help and advice, if anyone wants more details of the seller and price, PM me and i will get back to you asap.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spiceboy

That one also looks like a UK car, it is an odd spec that we didn't get here, still no climate. Any small dealer bringing in UK diesels would make ME think about clocking, although he may be quite legit.

I know this stuff may not interest you but will make the car harder to sell when you do. I've always felt that UK Passats were one of the few UK cars not worth bringing into ireland, as the specs are way off ours bar the SEL. They have only just got our Highline for example.

Stevie, is there any way we can find out whether 'clocking' is done in a car before we buy that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

spiceboy wrote: »
    Stevie, is there any way we can find out whether 'clocking' is done in a car before we buy that?
    Have a look at the service history. Call every dealer who has stamped the book to verify that the work was carried out as per the stamp. Look for old MOTs. Finally, do a full HPI check on the car. If in doubt, assume that the car has been clocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have a look at the service history. Call every dealer who has stamped the book to verify that the work was carried out as per the stamp. Look for old MOTs. Finally, do a full HPI check on the car. If in doubt, assume that the car has been clocked.

Good advice, clocking VW/Audi's is common over there now, and over here too, due to their popularity.
    Actually I know where there's a meticulously minded 2007 2.0TDi Comfortline Irish Passat for sale, with around 50k kms on it, well priced. PM if interested.

To be honest Stevie i think thats a load of crap...whats the differance between air con and climate control...i will the only person in the car for 95% of the time, as for resell you will always sell a passat, there will always be one person who will want it, it doesn't matter to me as i will drive it for 10 years, thats what you get with a VW Passat

• Advertisement

Cork4ever wrote: »
    To be honest Stevie i think thats a load of crap...whats the differance between air con and climate control...
    Convenience.
    i will the only person in the car for 95% of the time
    Fair point.
    as for resell you will always sell a passat, there will always be one person who will want it
    If it's cheap enough, Passats are not particularly in demand these days.
    it doesn't matter to me as i will drive it for 10 years, thats what you get with a VW Passat
    You might, given a bit of luck. If reliability and longevity are very important to you, though, i'd advise staying away from VAG.

You might, given a bit of luck. If reliability and longevity are very important to you, though, i'd advise staying away from VAG.[/QUOTE]

Look i don't know where you are coming from, evey second car is a passat on the road, The passat accounts for something like 21% of new car sales in Ireland (In its class)

All my family have VW's and i mean all, i have 2 brothers, 3 brothers in law and 3 sisters in law, parents in law and my parents

Thats 10 vw's in the family, plus my one now which makes 11, We have Golfs,Jetta's (old and new), bora's, Passats, Sharan's and Polos and not one has left us down, one of the brothers went outside the circle and bought an advensis 2 years ago and while he was slagged at every family do, he had no end of trouble with the Advensis and went back to a passat just 2 months ago, Our oldest VW is 1992 and the Youngest is an 08 Sharan, its like a feckin VW garage at our house at Christmas. We don't have a vento as they where the worst Car vw ever made, but while i agree with people that say they are expensive and they have little extras, on the whole they are very very good cars and we have had no trouble reselling any VW always a customer, Last year i shifted an 1990 Golf Van with 190,000 miles to a lad in Meath who drove down to Cork for it...!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

You might, given a bit of luck. If reliability and longevity are very important to you, though, i'd advise staying away from VAG.

Look i don't know where you are coming from, evey second car is a passat on the road, The passat accounts for something like 21% of new car sales in Ireland (In its class)

All my family have VW's and i mean all, i have 2 brothers, 3 brothers in law and 3 sisters in law, parents in law and my parents

Thats 10 vw's in the family, plus my one now which makes 11, We have Golfs,Jetta's (old and new), bora's, Passats, Sharan's and Polos and not one has left us down, one of the brothers went outside the circle and bought an advensis 2 years ago and while he was slagged at every family do, he had no end of trouble with the Advensis and went back to a passat just 2 months ago, Our oldest VW is 1992 and the Youngest is an 08 Sharan, its like a feckin VW garage at our house at Christmas. We don't have a vento as they where the worst Car vw ever made, but while i agree with people that say they are expensive and they have little extras, on the whole they are very very good cars and we have had no trouble reselling any VW always a customer, Last year i shifted an 1990 Golf Van with 190,000 miles to a lad in Meath who drove down to Cork for it...!!!!!!![/quote]
    Haha, you're worse than me.

And climate control is much better than aircon. Much more refined and it gives the interior a much cleaner look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Folks

Looking at a 1.9tdi passat in belfast, it has 23,000 miles, dealer wants £9750
    which with exchange and VRT comes to €16,540

I got him down from £10,200

What do ye think.....

Is it a winner or can i do better

You can do much better. Buy a mondeo!

Where to start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Thats 10 vw's in the family, plus my one now which makes 11, We have Golfs,Jetta's (old and new), bora's, Passats, Sharan's and Polos and not one has left us down, one of the brothers went outside the circle and bought an advensis 2 years ago and while he was slagged at every family do, he had no end of trouble with the Advensis and went back to a passat just 2 months ago, Our oldest VW is 1992 and the Youngest is an 08 Sharan, its like a feckin VW garage at our house at Christmas. We don't have a vento as they where the worst Car vw ever made, but while i agree with people that say they are expensive and they have little extras, on the whole they are very very good cars and we have had no trouble reselling any VW always a customer, Last year i shifted an 1990 Golf Van with 190,000 miles to a lad in Meath who drove down to Cork for it...!!!!!!!

Now THATS narrow mindedness for you!
    And it's Avensis, not Advensis.

Guilty - Send me down

Guilty - Send me down
    Send yourself down - keep buying Volkswagens.;)

Advertisement