Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i get him company?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Guys
    Need some advice from owners of two or more dogs. A lady rescued Woofie about a year ago, found him on a street of Dublin skinny and scared. Took him home but he didnt get on with her other rescue (or rather her other rescue did not get on with Woofie, because her third dog was ok with him), it was mainly jelaousy and food issues. So she had to either give him away or to a pound (no room in animal shelters). We took him, skinny very suspicious of people and afaraid of men (especially guys with hoodies on and people carrying some sort of stick shape objects, like umbrellas). Anyway it took lots of TLC and effort but today he is the happiest, playful and a bit bold 2year old lurchie, who thinks he is still a puppy (carrying his toys everywhere, and i mean toys not just a toy- all his stuff have to be with him at all times- guess once a street urchin always a street urchin lol). The story is that I am back to work full time and so is my husband so Woofer stays on his own from 7 till 5. He is fine with it (i think), can go to the garden and lie on window watching the green outside, bark at postman (the leaflet guys also have the pleasure to know what he thinks of them!). But i really thnk he should have some company. Since the incidents with other resuce a year ago he has not been aggressive towards other dogs. He loves other dogs, always pulls to play with them and has a few friends he runs mad with at the fields we walk him to. So I think we should get him a sister, my husband thinks that considering his past he will be very jealous and possesive over the house and his things and will not stand anothers dog company in his house.
    Has anybody been in similar situation? any advice would be great....

Woofie's pic attached

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Hi Woofie - your dog is lovely!

Personally I would think about getting a companion. I got a pup earlier in the year and put her with another new dog (3 year old) we were getting. I didn't get the pup just for her, I was getting it anyway, but they really get on well together, and miss each other when they have to be apart.

I was thinking if anything happened to one of the dogs that I would have to get another companion from a rescue centre for them.

I'm not sure how it works but I'd say you could go and introduce them to each other and see if they get on. Maybe look for an easy going cross-breed to join the lurcher.

There are lots of other posts on here about introducing dogs to each other on neutral territory so that they don't get jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Hi Ecaf
    Thanks- I agree
    and yeah, we are not getting a dog just for woofie, we always said that if we have house big enough we'll have two or more dogs
    the idea is to keep woof happy and give another rescue dog a home without making our household a war zone....
    i think a neutral ground for two dogs to meet is a great idea, i think you could bring your dog to a pound or shelter and see if there's a girl there that he likes...
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Contact your local rescue and speak with them about possibly getting another dog, previous problems with this one, and see if they can help as they might have the perfect dog for the situation. and see if you can go see some dogs, along with your own. A rescue will evaulate the dogs in their care to see how they are with other dogs, but you will have to see how your own dog reacts to the others.

Have them meet on neutral territory, walk them (one person for each dog, not together!), let them sniff and do dog behaviour at the end of the walk. Usually a walk would tire them out enough that they're not straight away on guarding behaviour or other problem behaviours.

A rescue would usually give back up support if for any reason you were having problems introducing a dog and may be able to give you any tips that they themselves have used for bringing their own dogs together.

We had a little fella and decided to get him a friend. We spotted a girl that stole our heart and headed to the rescue, both us humans and took the little dog with us. We introduced them, took them on a walk together, lead for each human and they seemed to get on ok, so we brought them home (the little fella was always terrified of big dogs so we werent 100% sure it was going to be ok because it was a rottweiler that stole our hearts :D but we were willing to put in the time and energy to trying as hard as possible to make it work.)

Both of them got crates so that if for any reason we had to leave them alone, they were not running around the house and getting boisterous with each other, no risk of damage to each other etc, but the crates were next to each other so they still had company. She will not fit in his crate no matter how hard she tries so its his safe place where he gets chews, treats etc as well as a sleeping area. And hers is just her den - he can fit in it but he's not allowed, as its her space and we wanted her to feel she had a special area all for herself - like yours she is terrified of men and anything stick like. It was going to be rare enough that they were going to be left without us, but we thought it better to introduce the rules right now, than to try introduce one when we needed it.

It did take a lot of work to get the two of them living together. 75% of the time was given to the original dog, the other 25% to the new arrival. They were never let interact without our supervision - including out in the garden for business, there was always someone of us watching.

Straight away we started looking for training classes that would accept both so as to build the bond with us, but to get them both working their minds so would be too tired to be bothered argueing :D

She was in heat when she arrived which helped our original dog want to be near her so it did help with bonding process, and the training afterwards helped too.

Setting down rules from the off is the best way forward. but you will need patience and you will need to be consistent, as well as needing eyes at the back of your head at times!

We can never leave our two alone without supervision because rough play can break the original dogs bones in an instant seeing as he's a very delicate breed. If they're to be left alone - either coz i'm upstairs or hanging out washing etc. they're either put in their crates, or different rooms for that few minutes.

We only have her since July but its going well so far - but we're not thinking that this is it and all the work is done. Its still being done on a continuous basis. We have found that 6 sessions of 10 mins training during the day as well as walks morning and evening will knacker them more than just walks or just training or even only 3 sessions of training, but tired dogs are more than likely well behaved dogs ;)

If you could get a crate for your original fella and make it his den (before getting a new dog), where it really is his safe zone and he's left alone, it might help with the toys issues.

Since ok now and is even wanting to play with other dogs, then it sounds like you have earned his trust. With another rescue you will have to do the same (well any dog), so setting rules and boundaries from the word go will help with that. You may not have any problems introducing a new dog, or you may. All dogs are individuals so you really cant guess how a particular breed will behave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Woofie is so cute, I love his name too! adorable. :D

I think it sounds like a great idea getting him a friend, he sounds like he wants to play with other dogs so that's definetly a good sign! it would also be great company for him while you are at work. Maybe you could start fostering some dogs, and then keep the dog that got on best with Woofie and that you liked?

Also, I'd be careful about letting him out in the garden while you are at work, Lurchers are a breed that are often targeted by travellers and a lot of them are stolen, they have no qualms about going into peoples gardens to get a lurcher if they want to steal it so personally I'd keep him in the house while your out and maybe hire somebody to let him out and keep an eye on him during the middle of the day.

Good luck with finding him a little friend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Hi Woofie,

From personal experience, I would recommend getting a second dog as company for yours. You will have to find a dog that is compatable with Woofie but this is very doable. Contact one of the animal rescues near you and as has been said before, they will have lots of dogs already in foster, and will have a good indication of their personalities.

As far as what happened with the previous lady and her two dogs. Well two's company and threes a crowd. We had three dogs for a long time and there were always issues between them. One dog is always left out. Then Mini died and we just had the two for a while and they got along great. We decided eventually to get another rescue dog, this time we went for a boy, because we thought he would get on better with the two bitches. He did, but got on too well with one and the other was kind of left out and she used to get narky with him a lot. Then we decided to foster an older gentleman, and low and behold everything is fine and dandy in the garden. The two girls get on great and stick together and the two boys play all morning and then chill in the afternoon and then sleep together at night. The boys in one corner, the girls in the other. So I'd imagine that was more to do with having three dogs and by your description it sounds as though it was that lady's original dog that had the problem.

Introduce them on neuteral ground as has been said. And then when you do bring the new dog home, always do everything with your original dog first and the new one second. That way he won't feel he's being upstaged by the new comer.

I have had very positive experiences in having more than one dog. It might not be for everyone, but find the right dog and your Woofie will be delighted. He'll have company all day and a buddy to use up all that energy with when you're away.

http://www.dogsindistress.org/
    and dogsaid are two great ones in the Dublin area. I'm not sure where you are.

Best of luck andkeep us posted.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million guys for all your comments and advice. I rang local animal shelter (i live in county wicklow) and was told i can bring woofie and we can have a chat with somebody there about matching him with some other dog. Will let you know how i am getting on! :)

Thats great news. :)
    Good luck, I hope you find a forever friend that suits you both ;)
    Do let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Having more than one dogs provides much more entertainment for the owners as well as the dogs. They are fun to watch as they interact. Of course there will be difficult times at first but you must be firm and patient - things will eventually settle down but there will always be a certain amount of competition for food and for your attention - this is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TAM2

Hi and all dog lovers. My boyfriend and i adopted a small terrier from the pound about two months ago. Unfortunately our circumstances have changed and we are both away more than we would like to be. Poor Pepe is in the garden all day on his own and we have decided to make the heartbreaking decision to find him a home where he can get the attention he so deserves. He is a small 10 month old terrier, has been neutered and microchipped and loves other dogs. We live in Greystones. If anyone is interested please send me a line.... the sooner he gets settled into his new home the better for the poor fella... I called the pound where i got him and they couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't be put down!!!!!
    woofie87 wrote: »
    Guys
    Need some advice from owners of two or more dogs. A lady rescued Woofie about a year ago, found him on a street of Dublin skinny and scared. Took him home but he didnt get on with her other rescue (or rather her other rescue did not get on with Woofie, because her third dog was ok with him), it was mainly jelaousy and food issues. So she had to either give him away or to a pound (no room in animal shelters). We took him, skinny very suspicious of people and afaraid of men (especially guys with hoodies on and people carrying some sort of stick shape objects, like umbrellas). Anyway it took lots of TLC and effort but today he is the happiest, playful and a bit bold 2year old lurchie, who thinks he is still a puppy (carrying his toys everywhere, and i mean toys not just a toy- all his stuff have to be with him at all times- guess once a street urchin always a street urchin lol). The story is that I am back to work full time and so is my husband so Woofer stays on his own from 7 till 5. He is fine with it (i think), can go to the garden and lie on window watching the green outside, bark at postman (the leaflet guys also have the pleasure to know what he thinks of them!). But i really thnk he should have some company. Since the incidents with other resuce a year ago he has not been aggressive towards other dogs. He loves other dogs, always pulls to play with them and has a few friends he runs mad with at the fields we walk him to. So I think we should get him a sister, my husband thinks that considering his past he will be very jealous and possesive over the house and his things and will not stand anothers dog company in his house.
    Has anybody been in similar situation? any advice would be great....

Woofie's pic attached

This is just the ending to this thread. Meet Sasha, 1 year old, rescued from Wicklow SPCA. Has been with us for a month now, we got over diarrohea, kennel cough, constant peeing in the house and lots more. More work to be done, but she seems to love her new house and loves Woofie a lot! Woofie takes his time loving her, but this morning I caught them licking each other' s faces to say good morning and wagging tails so we are on the right track. Sasha pictured with my husband's legs on the sofa watching Man Utd match!

• Advertisement

woofie87 wrote: »
    This is just the ending to this thread. Meet Sasha, 1 year old, rescued from Wicklow SPCA. Has been with us for a month now, we got over diarrohea, kennel cough, constant peeing in the house and lots more. More work to be done, but she seems to love her new house and loves Woofie a lot! Woofie takes his time loving her, but this morning I caught them licking each other' s faces to say good morning and wagging tails so we are on the right track. Sasha pictured with my husband's legs on the sofa watching Man Utd match!

Oops sorry it turns out the format of the photo is too big and I dont know how to make it smaller, so no attachement!

Create a photobucket account?

Open it in paint and resize?

Or the software that came with your camera?

YES :D I want to see a pic of her :D

Advertisement