Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Vulgarity warning] Where did this word come from?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Warning added for those of a sensitive nature...

Many people use the slang word 'pussy' to mean 'Coward', as in 'don't be such a "pussy"!'

I've a few thoughts on this but wondered, which, if any are correct.

The word could have its origins in 'scaredy cat', or 'the cowardly lion'.

Or perhaps it comes from Pusillanimous (lacking in courage or strength of purpose).

Alternatively I suppose, it could come from a comparison of a man to a woman in an attempt to demasculate and put him down by the assumption that the male gender is stronger/better.

Does anyone here know? [Sensible] Replies appreciated. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Interesting question. I've never thought about it in too much detail, but assumed it was something to do with cats. If you describe a cat as a pussy cat, it implies a gentle and tame nature, so I figured using the term pussy was just a short version of pussy cat.

I'd be interested to know the correct answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Faith wrote: »
    Interesting question. I've never thought about it in too much detail

I hadn't either until I saw this today. :) Some very nice and interesting words there and the definition of pusillanimous got me thinking.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, according to my online Bible for etymological queries (and it's surprising how often I refer to it!): http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=pussy&searchmode=none.

Interesting one!

Advertisement