Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem heating house

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am on disability payment and I have a new house but there is a problem with heating it. i have gas central heating and it is set at 50 degress. If I set it to 25 degress will I be able to have it on twice as long for the same cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

50 degrees!!! That's absolute madness.

The most efficient setting is between 18 and 21 ... 19 or 20 should be perfectly adequate, and will save you money.

Edit: I guess with a 50 degrees setting, you're heating the house up to Saharan temperatures, then turning it off when it gets too hot, house cools, and you turn it back on again? It's MUCH more efficient to keep the house at a constant temperature, around the 20 mark. That, and MagicMarkers suggestion ....
    Turn off the rads in rooms you don't use and keep the doors closed ... use your common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wear extra layers if you're worried about costs. We never have heating on in our house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OP is the boiler thermostat (i.e. on the boiler itself) or is the thermostat on the walls that set to 50 degrees?

Im presuming its the boiler as most wall thermostats dont go above 30. Set your boiler thermostat between 60 and 70 degrees. Set your wall thermostat to 22-23. Turn down the rads in the rooms you dont use (altho dont turn them off completely)

Try bleed your rads every 6 months too. (when the rads are cold, dont do it when the rads are warm or on)

Try not obstruct your rads either by place sofa's etc on top of them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Agree with MagicMarker. If you are a bit cold in the evening and are in just a T-shirt, put a jumper on instead of the heating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not a PI as such so I'm locking the thread. Try the green forum or one of the building forums maybe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Personal Issues to Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The amount of heat needed to heat a house is dependent on the external temperature. If it is zero degrees outside, then yes in theory 50 degrees would cost twice as much as 25 C. However, in Ireland, average winter temperatures are higher that zero, so 50 C would cost a lot more. If the average temperature on a particular day is 10 C, then heating to 50 C is 2.66 times more expensive than 25 degrees.

18-21 C is perfectly good for living spaces and a little less for sleeping spaces (where you'll have a big duvet over you).

Let us know if you need any extra information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cold heart

Victor wrote: »
    The amount of heat needed to heat a house is dependent on the external temperature. If it is zero degrees outside, then yes in theory 50 degrees would cost twice as much as 25 C. However, in Ireland, average winter temperatures are higher that zero, so 50 C would cost a lot more. If the average temperature on a particular day is 10 C, then heating to 50 C is 2.66 times more expensive than 25 degrees.

18-21 C is perfectly good for living spaces and a little less for sleeping spaces (where you'll have a big duvet over you).

Let us know if you need any extra information.

Thanks for replies
    I have a thermometer that measures room temp given me by a friend. It says my living room is only 12 C and even with gas 2 hours morning and evening on it still says 12 C. Will the house get damp?

When i said 50 degrees i meant the thermostat on the boiler. I do not have a thermostat on each rad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cold heart

Wear extra layers if you're worried about costs. We never have heating on in our house.
    Do you have heating today

Advertisement