Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop - Core 2 Duo 2GHz/4GB/250GB/15.4"/Blu-ray €714 + FREE SHIPPING TO IRELAND

Options
  • 10-10-2008 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Link

g_00993826.jpg

I think its pretty good value - thanks to zonda999 we found one that delivers to Ireland

Fairly good for a laptop with 4 gigs ram, blu-ray player, vista, and fairly good processor...
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T5750 2GHz
    • Screen Size: 15.4"
    • Graphics: ATI3470 256MB
    • Memory: 4GB (2x2048)
    • Hard Drive: 250GB
    • Optical: Blu-ray
    • Camera: 0.3MP
    • Battery: 6 Cell
    • O/S: Windows Vista Home Premium

The Acer Aspire 5920 is the first model to launch with Acer's groundbreaking, Gemstone design. Tailored to meet the needs of the advanced home entertainment user it comes packed with all the latest features on the market today and is powered by the Core 2 Duo processor. It is the perfect multimedia-mate sporting a 15.4 inch wide Acer CrystalBrite display and powerful graphics solution. The Acer Aspire 5920 is a highly-versatile notebook that delivers an extraordinary audio-visual experience. With Dolby Home Theater Virtual Surround Sound speakers, a high-definition audio-video port (HDMI) and a Blu-ray drive, the Aspire 5920 is the perfect multimedia-companion for the high-definition content era.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

damn sorry about that ...forgot they don't ship electronics sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The same laptop is delivered to ireland here, for 714e

Perfect! I'll change the information and update the thread thanks :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is the laptop itself any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

The Pixmania Laptop has a bigger harddrive and better graphics card too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It's odd that Pixmania only mention the fact that the laptop has a Blu-ray drive in the features at the very top of the page but nowhere else. Also, does it not seem overkill to have a Blu-ray drive in a laptop with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

5920G Blu Ray
    5920 DVD

Picked up the 5920 in PC World in Lisburn(Sprucefield) for my dad, it was £379. I notice it has gone up by £20. Link here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Rsaeire wrote: »
    It's odd that Pixmania only mention the fact that the laptop has a Blu-ray drive in the features at the very top of the page but nowhere else. Also, does it not seem overkill to have a Blu-ray drive in a laptop with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800?

I thought the same myself, but I guess you can always just use the HDMI output with a HDTV, a 15" isnt that great for hd movies anyway I`d wager.

This laptop is serious bargain, considering many other manufacturers are looking for 200 euro just to add in a blue ray drive, they add 4gig, a half decent 3d card and a 320 gig hard drive.

My only problem is that any laptop dvd drive I ever had crapped out after a year or two, they just dont seem to be made very well, so it seems kinda pointless to pay the extra they usualy cost if its just not going to last, and if it takes off like dvd you`ll be able to buy external ones for 50 euro in no time.

yea I know what you mean about the blueray...you could use it as a blueray player if you connect it to a HD tv though?

I know you can use a HDMI (I think?) cable from your laptop to a tv to play DVDs on it so it could double as a blue ray player too lol

Still...for 4 gigs ram, core 2 duo, 320gig HD, and a blue ray player its the cheapest I've seen

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Also, does it not seem overkill to have a Blu-ray drive in a laptop with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800?

Not really, a BD movie will have far better picture quality then a DVD even at 1280 x 800.
    Also, it isn't just about the resolution, the higher bit rates of BD will lead to far less artefacts and jaggies then DVD.

The fact that it is only a15" screen also doesn't make a difference, it is all about perspective, a 15" laptop on your lap can actually look bigger then a 50" TV across the other side of your room.

Also two other benefits, you can use your laptop as a BD player, outputting to a HD TV and also if you have a HD TV at home, you don't have to buy two copies of every movie, one on BD and one on DVD for the laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Let's be realistic here. A 15.4" screen is inadequate for 1080p content whether it is HD-DVD, Blu-ray etc. Add to that a screen resolution of 1280 x 800 and you would be better off buying the laptop, connecting it to a HDTV and using it as an expensive Blu-ray player; even that option though would not be advisable. This is just my opinion and I am sure some people will disagree.

I have a laptop with a 17" screen and a resolution of 1920 x 1200. Yes, HD-DVD, Blu-ray and other 1080p content looks much better than DVD, but I would still prefer to watch HD content on my Sony 32W4000 sitting 14ft away that on the 17" screen on my laptop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kearnsr wrote: »
    Is the laptop itself any good?
    Yes it is a very good laptop. Graphics card isn't great so gaming wouldn't be the best on it but it has lots of ram, good fast processor and a decent hard drive. Acer used to have a pretty bad name for reliability a few years back (the company they outsourced to were rubbish) but they've really upped their game on it and are a pretty reputable brand now.

Advertisement