Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's road bikes too small

Options
  • 10-10-2008 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey

So I've been looking around for options as to what road bike to buy. Price range <=800 (could be stretched a wee bit given good incentive)

My problem is that I want to get a womens specific bike (I realise this isn't necessary but it's my preference)... and I'm having a hard time finding any that come in my size (56, would try out 54 if I could even find one that came in that size!!). ... (Yes I'm tall).

So anyone know where I could look? Or have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Trek's women-specific bikes go up to 56cm and the entry level 1.2 is I think around €750. Joe Daly's is a very good bike shop and Trek dealer.

How tall are you? I take it you have longer legs and shorter arms/torso than a man of similar height (the point behind a womens specific bike.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Specialized Dolce models go up to 56 as well. Cycleways and the Cycle Inn are Specialized dealers in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am 5 nothing and actually have the opposite problem: would love to have men's bikes but I am too short!

What don't you get a Men's bike and change the handle bars, saddle and stem, which would be enough to turn it into a women's bike. I would do that myself if I was tall ... ( oh how I wish i was tall ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My missus bought a mens bike, and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Raam wrote: »
    My missus bought a mens bike, and it's fine.

My Trek is a Men size 43, and my Giant is a Men sz 42, my Specialized is a Ladies sz 44.

No problem either with mens bikes. I think they look cooler :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭falloffgirl

Thanks for the replies! I'll be trying those bikes out soon. Can't wait to finally pick one up :D

I'm 5'10 and yeah I think I have longer legs and shorter torso than most women my height even (correct me if I'm wrong) so that's why. I'm planning on trying out some mens bikes to compare but I'm guessing I'll end up buying a woman's bike. Will find out. At least this way - having tried the woman's bikes, I should be happy with whatever choice I make.

No problem either with mens bikes. I think they look cooler :pac:

I agree - but what can you do. :)

Thanks again for the replies!!

- fog

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi

I am 5'7'' and a bit and was told once that the 54 in the Specialized series would have been the right size for me so I assume that the 56 might be ok for you? I am happy with gents bikes but I think my torso length is more like a man's (??).
    good luck with the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What's the difference between a mans bike and a womens - I understood ages ago it was to account for women wearing skirts but in todays world of equality skirts aren't as common.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's the difference between a mans bike and a womens - I understood ages ago it was to account for women wearing skirts but in todays world of equality skirts aren't as common.

Shorter top tube on bikes for women. A few theories on why this is more comfortable (shorter arms, sit further back on saddle, bend differently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

Lumen wrote: »
    Shorter top tube on bikes for women. A few theories on why this is more comfortable (shorter arms, sit further back on saddle, bend differently).

Not so sure about that - If you compare the geometry closely, many are the same although there may be some exceptions.

Main differences are
    1.shorter stem - which as we know can be changed and may not be right anyway
    2. women's specific saddle - chances it's crap anyway and you will be upgrading
    3. Sometimes lower top tube which, as has been pointed out already, is not such a big deal
    4. Loads of marketing hype and a pink stripe

[Edit] - Missed one - Sometimes a slightly narrower handlebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting. Take a respected manufacturer (Felt), find frames of same standover height and compare geometry.

http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog/road/alternative/09-z1-r.aspx
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog/road/womens-road/09-zw1.aspx

They say of the ZW1:

"Designed around a woman’s riding needs with smaller diameter tubes for increased compliance and a shorter cockpit to accommodate female riders’ shorter reach"

But essentially, the top women's bike (ZW1) seems to be the same geometry as the top sportive mens bike (Z1R). The ZW1 comes with 20mm narrower bars, 650c wheels and a 50mm shorter seatpost, and that's it.

The only geometry difference is an extra 1mm in standover height for the women's bike (must be for the heels, right?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭falloffgirl

So there's essentially no reason to buy a women's specific bike as you can turn a men's bike into one?

I guess that leaves me with more options.

Where to begin...

Is there much difference between brands/types of bikes then as far as size/proportions that would make any difference to me?

Advertisement