Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acronis True Image Home 2009

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭

I've just created a System Volume backup using Acronis True Image Home 2009.

I also activated the Startup Recovery Manager which gives you the "F11 option to restore the PC" on startup (before the OS starts to load).
    I'd imagine it's similar to the recovery partition you get on some PC's?

This is my first time using this software so can anyone answer this?

In the event I ever needed to invoke the F11 option, does it format the destination drive/partition as well as restore the PC to the state it was in when the image was made?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes, Identical state as long as you make the full image of the operating system partion.

I use it all the time, absolutely amazing program, you can also set it to restore an image from in windows, it'll reboot and take over. Its a good idea to seperate documents, storage, games etc from the Operating System partion. Every-so-often i run a decrapifier, defrag, update graphics driver and create an updated image. This way I'll never have to re-install, takes 12 mins for me to to restore vista with all drivers and programs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, Identical state as long as you make the full image of the operating system partion.

I use it all the time, absolutely amazing program, you can also set it to restore an image from in windows, it'll reboot and take over. Its a good idea to seperate documents, storage, games etc from the Operating System partion. Every-so-often i run a decrapifier, defrag, update graphics driver and create an updated image. This way I'll never have to re-install, takes 12 mins for me to to restore vista with all drivers and programs :D

That sounds sooo good :D

I was looking at making an nLite disc but this Acronis seems to be a great bit of software.

I never minded having to do a clean reinstall, it's the hours of work that came after it to get it to where you wanted it that drove me insane.

You can even password protect the F11 option in Acronis in case someone hit it while you weren't looking :eek:

What's the story with Acronis on systems that are dual booting?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It just restores the partion and leaves the others intact as long as the image is just of that partion and not of the full drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It just restores the partion and leaves the others intact as long as the image is just of that partion and not of the full drive.

OK, just so I fully understand this PogMoThoin,

I have 2 500GB drives in a stripe raid.

I have four partitions

I've made the complete backup of drive C:\ where my OS & most of my needed programs are installed.

If I were to run with the Acronis restore, would it restore my C:\ totally & leave the other 3 partitions intact?

-

Yes, I've got something similar, 2x36Gb raptors as C drive in Raid 0. I've another f1 Sata hard drive with Documents, Games, Media and Music partions. When I restore, it replaces my C drive partion and even my games still work as they're in their own partion. Take Your documents and music out of your C drive to a seperate partion of their own so as to reduce the size of Your C drive and this way they'll be unaffected. My C drive backup is usually 18GB, just a little more than half the size of the original which I store on a network drive. It works individually on partions, but can do a full drive if needed.

BTW, I don't use the f11 function, I disabled all Acronis startup items in msconfig as they used alot of memory, nor do i create an incremental image, I just manually make an image every-so-often when I happy with my system. Only once have I had to restore (when I tried a beta Creative driver which messed things up) and it was totally painless, 12mins and I was back to new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Is there much of a difference between version 11 and 2009? ATI 11 was very bloated with far too many unnecessary options.

Like PogMoThoin said, I disabled all it's startup items and ran them when I needed to with a batch file. ATI 11 causes my system to go in safe mode on completing restoration so I just use the boot disc.

I found the F11 very convenient except that I doubt it would be possible on a dual boot system with GRUB in the way.

PS. Does anyone know how to customize the ATI boot disc (resolution or font size).

Advertisement