Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does Chipping a Diesel affect Resale?

Options
  • 09-10-2008 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Hey,

was thinking that as i cant afford right now to change to another car, that i will get my current motor chipped.

Ive a 2004 Accord 2.2i-CTDI and it produces 140BHP approx. Spoke to a guy who chips cars, and he said that he can up it to 185BHP and an extra 120nm torque.

Ive already searched threads about pros and cons, but what Im more interested is, will people be more, or less inclined to buy it later on because its chipped.

Any info would be great.

-V-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

I've had all my cars chipped over the years and never had a problem with resale. Anyway the guy who chips your car can put it back to standard normally for a call out fee. As it's becoming more common people generally know that chipping is normally good for an engine as it runs much smoother.

jO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

jamesO wrote: »
    I've had all my cars chipped over the years and never had a problem with resale. Anyway the guy who chips your car can put it back to standard normally for a call out fee. As it's becoming more common people generally know that chipping is normally good for an engine as it runs much smoother.

jO.

cheers. Ill be getting it done next week hopefully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

as long as you keep the receipts and contacts for the guy thats remapping, a buyer might ne less prone to be afraid of the mapping.

so inother words, onve your mate done it on a dell laptop in the front garden trying his luck if you know what i mean.

a good map by a reputile (sp) mapper is not a problem on resale imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Cruising_R32

Get it done, enjoy the extra power and when it comes time to sell the car on, just tell the person it is a special edition model that has "x" amount of power over the standard models.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

have certs and a phone number for the actual garage who done it...

then enjoy the extra poke yer yoke has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hello All

I was wondering the same myself. i was considering getting my mondeo TDCi remapped as i do a fair bit of boat towing and the extra torque could be useful. however i did have a concern over re-sale that has been answered by this thread.

In relation to this i have heard that the computers on the TDCi mondeos can sometimes un-map the re-map and undo its benefits, anyone have an opinion on this?

Oh and one other thing (sorry if i am a bit off topic but rather then start a new thread) could garage dianostics tell if the ECU has been re-mapped, say in case of a bang(where it had not been delcared to insurance) and your insurance company wanted to slither out of cover.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

Un-map itself not possible only a main dealer could do it. Some garage dianostics can detect that a map has been changed. Haven't heard of anyones ecu been checked yet.jO-)

Advertisement